New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Candid from today

Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Candid from today

Looking out window at golf course - sport he dearly loves but can no longer play....

Plus two others while I have the topic panel loaded....

#2 appreciate any crop suggestions

Thoughts?

Thanks for looking,

Bob

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:24 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Candid from today

Bob,

I was ready to write off number one because it just seemed under lit to me, but the more I see it the more I think it could work if you pushed it in a more artistic (perhaps oil/impressionist/etc) direction.

The second I like, but I feel that you could cut a lot from the left and take some off the top as well.

The third overall does the least for me, but I do like the sense of joy he's getting at talking to the person on the other end.

Cheers,

Jeff

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Candid from today

Maybe some tweaks?

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Candid from today

Bob,
I like the first. Lighting feels natural. But I tend to go dark. I think the crop improves. Nothing wrong with Karen's rework (of course). A slightly more vibrant and livelier message.
Second feels a bit more somber, sad. The open door and tidy but otherwise empty room adds to a sense of loneliness, wistfulness for me.
Third doesn't really do anything for me and feels more like a snapshot, albeit capturing a loved one perhaps in a representative way.
Scott

Nov 28, 2014 at 06:53 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Candid from today

Jeff and Karen,

Thanks for your thoughts and the reworks. Images culled from the typical "family variety" set. I plan to take #1 & 2 further, not sure of which direction but your suggestions help.

Happy you picked up on his "pleasure" in #3 - speaking with his youngest daughter wishing everyone a happy hoilday.

Regards,

Bob

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:19 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Candid from today

sbeme wrote:
Bob,
I like the first. Lighting feels natural. But I tend to go dark. I think the crop improves. Nothing wrong with Karen's rework (of course). A slightly more vibrant and livelier message.
Second feels a bit more somber, sad. The open door and tidy but otherwise empty room adds to a sense of loneliness, wistfulness for me.
Third doesn't really do anything for me and feels more like a snapshot, albeit capturing a loved one perhaps in a representative way.
Scott

Thanks Scott,

Appreciate your thoughts - your take on the 'vibe' in #2 is exactly what I suspect but he'd never admit it

Regards,

Bob

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:22 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Candid from today

A possible crop to 1:1

No crop ... losing the golf and grandfather frames on the wall eradicate the narrative. You may be here today to tell us about him, but there will be times that people will be relying on the information in the image to tell the story about this beloved man.

I thought a bit about cropping the left window, but it also changes the projection / direction / longing for where he is looking. I did bring up the tonal values in each however because I felt like the message is really about the man ... not about the contrast in the lighting or what the camera captured and processed by its built in algorithm profile for (not) handling the DR.

Your message, your call .. but I'm going with the man (imo @ real message), not the camera (tool with limitations for capturing / delivering the message) or lighting (enhancement / impediment to the message).

Could use more refinement, but hopefully you get the gist and hope everyone had a Blessed Thanksgiving to share with their loved ones.

Edited on Nov 28, 2014 at 12:55 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:08 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Candid from today

+1 to Kent's square crop.

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Candid from today

Well done Kent,

Thanks!

Bob

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:31 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.