New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

jamesdak
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Has anyone worked out a good system to carry a days worth of water with this bag. Will be hiking around Glacier NP this coming summer and am wondering how others back country shooters are carrying thier water. I was always able to incorporate a bladder with my other backpack camera bags. This one is more of a challenge.

Any insight from others would be appreciated.

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

jamesdak wrote:
Has anyone worked out a good system to carry a days worth of water with this bag. Will be hiking around Glacier NP this coming summer and am wondering how others back country shooters are carrying thier water. I was always able to incorporate a bladder with my other backpack camera bags. This one is more of a challenge.

Any insight from others would be appreciated.

I don't know the quantity need, so I will just provide some suggestion.

Try something like This and get a D ring or similar swivel type connector.

Or This

This

This is a good one

Carabiner

Dig deeper into the Backcountry website as it's all about hiking and other outdoors activities.

Nov 28, 2014 at 01:32 PM
mrsleeve

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Depending on what part of the "season" your up here. Most of the time I dont carry a full days worth of water. Everyone carries a couple of reasonable sized bottles and since most of the summer you can find nice creeks and small feeder streams all over the place or a nice lake so I just carry a Katadyn Vario and "make" drinking water as we need it...

Water is heavy, why carry it when there is plenty afield and you can carry many styles of quality filtration some much lighter than my set up, some a bit more weighty and robust. I think I mine is a bit over kill for day hikes and shorter duration over nights but it does not take up too much space and is reasonably fast.

All this said I generally know where I am going and where I can find good places to get water when or if its needed, most of the time we rarely need to resupply on anything less than 4 hour + hikes.

Nov 28, 2014 at 05:54 PM
jamesdak
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Well it will be early august this time and I'll be doing longer hikes most days. Did a bunch of shorter ones last summer. So longer hikes with the added exertion of carrying a 600/4, DSLR, and tripod means I'll be using some water. I normally can go all day with a 3 liter bladder.

Filtering is most likely the key but I really have no experience with that and there's so many options it boggles the mind. But I totally agree that there is no shortage of water at Glacier.

With all the clear running water there it seems like a Steri Pen may be the key with just bringing a bottle but I really am not certain.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:15 PM
mrsleeve

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Also a thing to possibly consider with the filter straws is where your going to be at the most. If your going to be near major creeks, lakes and melt pools a filter straw and a couple of good water bottles will more than sufficient. (Though I have never used a filter straw) Late Aug-end of Sept is when we do carry a little more water than in the spring and early summer if we are going some place a bit higher up.

Late aug. is the getting into the height of the Fir.... errrr I mean dry season and many of the melt/run off flows are nothing more than a slight trickle or bone dry other than after a rain. While down low you will still have plenty of water opportunities sometimes in the more alpine sections water can be a little harder to come by. The dragons tail for instance is very devoid of water once out of the gardens other than when there is still snow up that high. Also down in the lower areas you can find lots pools but they can be nasty and stagnant so I would want something a little more "flitery" if I thought I might have to resupply from something like that....

We do most of our hiking and recreating in the National Forests vs the park itself so we never really know for sure where we will decide to go hike that day, might be the upper elevations of the Roberts fire burn areas in the North Fork, or might be something a bit more wetland like on the south end of Swan lake...... So I went with the more "filtery" type of filtration as you never know where you might have to get water some times. Never had an issue with it, always have been able to find a spot that has a decent clarity to it and does not smell so .

There is my 2 cents for water procurement while afield in NW MT (in the warmer months that is) .......

Nov 29, 2014 at 01:08 AM
jamesdak
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Sounds like your a good source for the park and area. I try to spend at least a week there every summer. Time frame varies. Right now the best I could do for reservations was early august. Prefer to be there earlier though and will start calling to see about cancellations around June.

Nov 29, 2014 at 02:06 AM
mrsleeve

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

I know of a couple "off the beaten path spots" . I travel a lot for work (like months at a time) so when I am around the house we try to make the best of it.... Dont short change yourself some times latter is better.........

Nov 29, 2014 at 03:03 AM
jamesdak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

It is always a balancing act out there to find the right time to go. Will snow allow hiking up high, will snow still cover the upper moving water I like to shoot, will the critters be molted out, while they be fattened up, is water still flowing, when are the flowers blooming, is a Bear Grass "season", etc, etc.....

I swear if my kids ever scatter from Utah I am moving north to someplace within an hour or two of the park. Cheap living, and a few magical months each year.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:28 AM
mrsleeve

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

Well right now with the wind chill its about -24 with the air temp at about 7 so yeah

Nov 29, 2014 at 06:52 PM
jamesdak
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

And it warmed up to the 50s for us. I feel sorta guilty. ;-)

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:48 PM
Bacalhau
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

I have tried different types of water filtration/purification, and right now, I am using a gravity type and really like it.
-Pumps are subject to have broken handles
-Steripen requires extra batteries and don't work well in very cold water, aside requiring extra filtration for less than clear water
-Chemicals filters are light weight but require extra time...and again, extra filtration for debris
-Life straw is hard to use - priming is a pain, and you will need a puddle.
So, you should research the area and find how much water sources you will have in or near your path. You should consider one liter per every two/three hours or so of hiking, depending on exertion and temperature ( just because it's cold, does not mean you need no water)
hard case Nalgene botles work very well on side pockets, but not with carabiners - you will have to look for the one's with a cap hook-up. Soft shell nalgene type, will save weight and space when empty, and quite a few brands offer a standalone reservoir type, some with an in-line filtration, which will save you time and space, and you might be able to attach it to your bag.
If you are just hiking, meaning not hauling a full pack with tent and everything, please remember that you will need more than water to be safe and confortable - talking about the 10 essentials list, as food, water,extra clothing, 1st aid kit, map, etc.....
So, you should consider at 25 liter pack for the essentials, and that will solve the carrying water issue too.
Even when camping, I go out exploring with a daypack, loaded with the basics - better safe than sorry

No experience with you bag, but it does not look to be a hiking friendly/designed type
in sum, maybe you should consider another pack, and figure out a way to fit your camera gear inside, instead of the reverse

Edited on Dec 04, 2014 at 10:29 AM · View previous versions

Dec 03, 2014 at 06:37 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carrying water with a lens trekker 600 aw II

+1 to starting with a dedicated hiking bag and "figure out a way to fit your camera gear inside, instead of the reverse."

The ten essential systems (including water!) are more important than your camera gear in the backcountry, and dedicated hiking bags are built for carrying such things.

I will admit to not having experience with lugging around a lens as large as the 600/4 (I do lug a tripod, camera, and a couple lenses though), so tell me to shut up if I'm way off the mark. The specifications state that the lens is 6.6" x 17.6"; I'm guessing that would fit in something like a 65L+ pack. The non-super-lightweight versions of 65L+ packs are designed for heavy loads. If you pack the lens correctly, keeping it close to your back in the center of the pack, such a pack would handle the weight quite well.

If you worry about the lack of padding, I companies like F-Stop make camera bags for hiking that are designed with camera and hiking gear in mind. They tend to be more expensive than standard hiking bags though.

Dec 03, 2014 at 09:37 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.