FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · D4S or D810?

Hardcore
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · D4S or D810?

Donzo98 wrote:
Basically I want a smaller D4S with 24mp.

Errr.... And the D750 is what? . Ohh well, maybe I am drunk cause I don't understand what you want. . I have big hands and the D750 is way better to hold than the D810 imo.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:10 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · D4S or D810?

The D4s. Even shooting shooting casual sports, people, everyday, etc. there's nothing like the speed and handling a pro body. And since you don't mind the weight and have the money that makes it the no-brainer to me.

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · D4S or D810?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
The D4s. Even shooting shooting casual sports, people, everyday, etc. there's nothing like the speed and handling a pro body. And since you don't mind the weight and have the money that makes it the no-brainer to me.

.... and I already have one

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · D4S or D810?

Oh sorry, I missed your post about that further into the string. Well, I guess if the weight and size don't bother you, there's no way I'd go from that to a D810 unless you just need more resolution for some reason. Or, if you primarily shot video.

Edited on Nov 27, 2014 at 02:12 PM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · D4S or D810?

Hardcore wrote:
Errr.... And the D750 is what? . Ohh well, maybe I am drunk cause I don't understand what you want. . I have big hands and the D750 is way better to hold than the D810 imo.

The 750 definitely does not have the build quality of the D4S... too plasticky feeling. The 810 feels more solid.

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:54 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · D4S or D810?

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Oh sorry, I missed you post about that further into the string. Well, I guess if the weight and size don't bother you, there's no way I'd go from that to a D810 unless you just need more resolution for some reason. Or, if you primarily shot video.

Thanks... I'll keep what I have. Both, in my wallet and camera-wise

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:58 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · D4S or D810?

How is the shutter on the d4s? I have a d3s, which is my favorite camera, but the shutter can be pretty loud when you don't want it to be. I assume the same would apply for the d4 series.

Of course, some of that noise is from the lens aperture, but I don't know how much noise comes from where. Regardless, I've read some reports that the d810 has a really quiet shutter. I'd like to compare the 2, but haven't gotten a d810 to play with.

If you want quiet, maybe it would be worth investigating.

good luck
Kerry

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:59 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · D4S or D810?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
How is the shutter on the d4s? I have a d3s, which is my favorite camera, but the shutter can be pretty loud when you don't want it to be. I assume the same would apply for the d4 series.

Of course, some of that noise is from the lens aperture, but I don't know how much noise comes from where. Regardless, I've read some reports that the d810 has a really quiet shutter. I'd like to compare the 2, but haven't gotten a d810 to play with.

good luck
Kerry

I haven't found the shutter noise to be a problem...

Nov 27, 2014 at 02:02 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · D4S or D810?

Kerry Pierce wrote:

good luck
Kerry

I have an 810 and a D4 - my D4 has been known to scare off a few critters with its loud shutter. My D810 is quite enough that it seems like most animals ignore it.

Nov 27, 2014 at 02:13 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · D4S or D810?

Steve Perry wrote:
I have an 810 and a D4 - my D4 has been known to scare off a few critters with its loud shutter. My D810 is quite enough that it seems like most animals ignore it.

Thanks for the confirmation, Steve. There have been many times when I'd wished for a more quiet camera, to the point of buying a "noise blimp", which of course, doesn't fit my d3s.

Appreciate the help. I may have to buy an 810 one of these days.

Kerry

Nov 27, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Chris Dees
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · D4S or D810?

Donzo98 wrote:
Which body would you prefer for everyday shooting?

I don't shoot action... but also don't print much. High ISO shooting never really much above 12.8K.

I have always had a Pro body.. since the D1X... so don't really mind the weight.

So... assuming money no object. Which do you prefer?

No action; no real need for D4s.
Not printing (big) much, no real need for a D810.

According to your needs the D750 would be the right camera for you (even though you laugh about it).

Nov 27, 2014 at 04:39 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · D4S or D810?

ilnonno wrote:
The D810 is a quantum leap, and a much easier camera to use and get sharp shots with than the D800 (which I owned and never liked).

Why do you think it's easier to get sharp images on a D810 versus a D800? (Not a rhetorical question... I am curious as I have had AF issues in particular situations, especially backlighting)

Nov 27, 2014 at 09:40 PM
Taoguy
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · D4S or D810?

I have a D4s, D750 and D810. I would never sell my D4s for the D810. You don't print so I'm not sure why you would even consider the D810. I prefer the body of the D750 over the D810. Just the grip alone is more comfortable in use than the D810, it is deeper allowing a better hold. I finally got the extended grip and I would have preferred being able to use my D4s batteries with it like the D810.

As far as the D750 focusing faster or better than your D4s, I think not at least IMO, although it is good. I really like the D750, somewhat better than the D810. The D810 will be landscape or large prints only. The shutter is much quieter on the D750 than the D4s but that has not been an issue for myself. The D4s and D750 make a great pair.

Gerard

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · D4S or D810?

Arka wrote:
Why do you think it's easier to get sharp images on a D810 versus a D800? (Not a rhetorical question... I am curious as I have had AF issues in particular situations, especially backlighting)

Not speaking for ilnonno, but I've found that D810 AF is a HUGE improvement over the 800/e. I tried using my 800 bodies for wildlife, and they were so far behind the curve compared to my D4 I gave up in a short amount of time. I did have a couple of the first run units, so maybe others have had better luck.

As for the 810 - while I don't think it's quite up to the D4 for pure speed and accuracy, it's really close. Plus, it can focus in conditions that are so dark I can't even tell what it's getting a lock on in the viewfinder. I use it without hesitation for wildlife now.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · D4S or D810?

Thanks everyone... I'm going to stick with the D4S. No additions or replacements for now.

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:28 AM
ilnonno
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · D4S or D810?

Re: Arka & Steve Perry

Steve, your findings are very interesting. Me, I didn't keep the D800 long enough to truly stress the AF... I found its module not so brilliant in precision, very much failure prone with difficult lenses (35 1.4G, 24 1.4G) and let the camera go before further investigating the matter due to other reasons.
I find my D810 more precise af-wise, but in all honesty: it may all boil down to sample variation and "mutual understanding" with my lenses (although they're the same I had with the D800).

Still, I truly find the D810 much easier to shoot than the D800: it suffers much less from mirror/shutter shock, and this allows lower shutter speeds, and practically guarantees pin sharp images once times are high enough.
Shooting a 50mm meant 1/100s minimum on the D800. I now get away at 1/50 or 1/60. The 200 VR 2, with VR engaged, would be unsharp at 1/200, while I now shoot it at 1/100. The list goes on, and in my book, this is a clear and meaningful improvement.

Lory

Steve Perry wrote:
Not speaking for ilnonno, but I've found that D810 AF is a HUGE improvement over the 800/e. I tried using my 800 bodies for wildlife, and they were so far behind the curve compared to my D4 I gave up in a short amount of time. I did have a couple of the first run units, so maybe others have had better luck.

As for the 810 - while I don't think it's quite up to the D4 for pure speed and accuracy, it's really close. Plus, it can focus in conditions that are so dark I can't even
...Show more

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM
VinnieJ
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · D4S or D810?

Donzo98 wrote:
Thanks everyone... I'm going to stick with the D4S. No additions or replacements for now.

You don't hear much about people wanting a D4s for "everyday" shooting. Shows we are all different in what is import to us.

My personal preference would be Df.

Happy shooting!

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · D4S or D810?

Donzo98 wrote:

Good decision Don. I used the D4 for a long time and although I have the D810 and love it, the D4s is about as good as it gets. You and I have talked about this one, and the one thing is that if you don't mind the weight, stay where you are.

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · D4S or D810?

Jonathan wrote:
Good decision Don. I used the D4 for a long time and although I have the D810 and love it, the D4s is about as good as it gets. You and I have talked about this one, and the one thing is that if you don't mind the weight, stay where you are.

I'm just used to it...

How do you like the 810?? Miss the D4?

Nov 28, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Jonathan
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · D4S or D810?

I'm just used to it...

How do you like the 810?? Miss the D4?

I'm not missing the D4. I think the D810 is an amazing camera and I tend to use it more because of the lighter weight. I also like being able to crop much more heavily. To me, the
D810 is so much more than the D800 was.

Nov 28, 2014 at 08:50 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.