New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · SB N7 Battery Life

DGC1
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · SB N7 Battery Life

I am using Duracells and they just don't seem to last as long as they do in my SB800's. Is this due to the smaller AAA's not lasting as long as AA's or just that this flash uses more power?

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · SB N7 Battery Life

I think you need to flesh out your question a bit. I am assuming the sbn7 uses AAA baths which do have a lower capacity per cell then AA baths. You might want to look at some nimh rechargeable for it. I also don't thing the sbn7 is as sophisticated by any stretch as the sb800 units.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:09 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · SB N7 Battery Life

AAA cells contain less that half of the energy of AA cells and of course max current is lower and internal resistance is higher. I'd rather have a faster recycle and more flashes, but presumably the battery choice was constrained by the requirements for size/weight.

EBH

Nov 27, 2014 at 02:00 AM
DGC1
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · SB N7 Battery Life

Makes sense. I was mainly wondering if somehow the batteries were being drained while the flash was turned off. Lower capacity of the AAA's would seem to be the answer.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:30 AM
workerdrone
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · SB N7 Battery Life

I thought alkalines were a poor choice for flash use? - in any case, I love my collection of eneloops and with rechargeables, I don't worry about how long they last as I can always have spares ready to go.

Nov 27, 2014 at 11:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · SB N7 Battery Life

workerdrone wrote:
I thought alkalines were a poor choice for flash use? - in any case, I love my collection of eneloops and with rechargeables, I don't worry about how long they last as I can always have spares ready to go.

Correct, especially for the larger shoe-mount flashes like the SB-800/SB-900 series. However, the inverter for the small flash may be designed with the assumption that many (consumer-ish) users will use disposable batteries. I'd definitely try some NiMH cells though.

EBH

Nov 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.