Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

campy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

What are the alternatives to using paypal for receiving payment in the sale forum? I have always used paypal but with the 180 day time period to open up a not as described claim has me a little nervous. How is the seller suppose to guarantee a used item to work as described nearly 6 months down the road? What if they dropped it or got it wet? I would be especially nervous with new members even though I was a new member once. Is there something out there that will protect the buyer and seller from these scam artist?

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:27 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

No, nothing that I know of... You makes your choices and you takes your consequences... Just the way it is.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:53 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

You can do a throwback to last century and have the buyer mail mail you a check. Deposit, wait for it to clear and then mail the item to the buyer. I'd never buy anything that way but you might find some sucker willing to do it.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:59 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

I'm probably going to be asking for only USPS money orders when I put my 70-200 non-IS for sale. I'm sure it will limit the market, and of course the buyers don't get any protection. Hopefully my feedback and years of membership will make up for that.

Either that or I go with PayPal but only sell to someone with a long, positive history here.

Mark

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:59 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

I am selling some stuff, taking paypal or giving a sweeter deal for not using it.

paypal is the devil.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:02 PM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

I can't understand why big companies like google haven't stepped up to get in on this business and created some competition. This paypal business looks like a cash cow, taking 3% off the top of every transaction. Imagine a bank would do that for check payments. But, as it stands, paypal is the only game in town. You could require payment by check - I've seen some sellers do that. But it cuts down on the number of prospective buyers a lot.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:04 PM
brimull
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

big country wrote:
I am selling some stuff, taking paypal or giving a sweeter deal for not using it.

paypal is the devil.

It's definitely time for some competition. Maybe if Apple Pay catches on? Or some other entity will hopefully come along to fill this role.

I suspect this latest rule will cost PayPal business--and rightfully so.

Brian M.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:07 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

msalvetti wrote:
... I'm sure it will limit the market, ...

... to morons (which are often the best customers).

Kidding aside. What protection do the seller and buyer have if you accept a credit card? You can get the "square" for one-on-one, in-person transactions. What are the options for credit card ecommerce, for the private citizen?

In Canada, I often use bank eTransfer for people that I know, or at least have some direct connection. I'm not sure what my protections are, but banks tend to take claims of fraud very seriously.

Does google wallet offer any buyer and seller protection?

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

I haven't had any notable difficulties in over 1700 Paypal transactions. I've had zero problem on FM with Paypal for purchase (frequently used "gift" for sellers on FM with good feedback).

If you are using eBay, simply be very clear in your description of the product and indicate "as is" in the condition and that you aren't a testing facility, but it is fine according your use.

Always be friendly and ready to accept returns for immediate refund upon receipt.

Otherwise, you are limited to cash sales and direct contact as the most foolproof method, following safe meeting practices.

I've bought an sold in all methods (bank transfer, credit card, check, M.O., etc), and Paypal and cash/personal contact are the best for me.

Good luck.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:21 PM
OldSchool1948

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Amazon has a payment option that I'm looking into, but I prefer Paypal. I do not use "gift" nor will I buy using "gift" regardless of a person's feedback or references.

https://payments.amazon.com/customer

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:33 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

I should clarify, most people with good feedback on FM that I've used gift for are well established personalities with a good track record on the forum, posting on threads and offering advice/help to members. I place them in the "friendly acquaintance" category.

YMMV.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:41 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Gunzorro wrote:
I haven't had any notable difficulties in over 1700 Paypal transactions...

Hi Jim,

I haven't had any problems with PayPal either, but the relationship has changed. Now, the buyer has up to 180 days to return an item.

Previously, the buyer had up to 45 days to file a claim. That actually limited some of my eBay sales (heavy, expensive gears), because the least expensive "surface" shipping via Canada Post to Asia, Australia, and other remote parts, had a 6 to 8 week delivery expectation (i.e. shipping by ship - where did that come from?). So, I wouldn't ship by a method that would probably take longer than the claim period, and so it limited my 'audience'. I can see it now: the "never received it" claim is filed on 1 April. The forced refund is provided to the buyer, and then two weeks later, the buyer gets the package.

Wind the clock forward to today...

... you send out a $3k lens to somebody, somewhere, on Jan 31, 2015, just before everybody closes up shop to watch the Pats defeat the Packers in Super Bowl LXIX, and it feels good (sending the package, and the game result).

...then, on July 31, 2015, just after you get home from stocking up on supplies to watch Week 1 of the NFL pre-season, you find that a PayPal claim has been filed on that lens you sent way back, in the 2014 season.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:45 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Gunzorro wrote:
... I place them in the "friendly acquaintance" category.

My 'contacts' spreadsheet uses different colour fonts.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:46 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Thorsten wrote:
I can't understand why big companies like google haven't stepped up to get in on this business and created some competition. This paypal business looks like a cash cow, taking 3% off the top of every transaction. Imagine a bank would do that for check payments. But, as it stands, paypal is the only game in town. You could require payment by check - I've seen some sellers do that. But it cuts down on the number of prospective buyers a lot.

don't credit companies do that to the merchants? You might not get nailed every time you swipe your credit card...but sure as hell someone does.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:11 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Come on, all you tech savvy FM'ers, isn't the B&S Forum a perfect place for us to go with Bitcoin?

(I'm only half-joking...)

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:14 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

The problem regarding fees is there's not much room for disintermediation for other payment providers; Paypal charges 3%, of which up to 2% goes to the merchant bank for credit card fees, leaving 1%, which also must cover their costs and any loses from their buyer/seller guarantees, at least the losses they can't recover from the credit card companies. For transactions with trusted FM'ers nothing is simpler and cheaper than electronic transfers/deposits.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:18 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Gunzorro wrote:
If you are using eBay, simply be very clear in your description of the product and indicate "as is" in the condition and that you aren't a testing facility, but it is fine according your use.

Always be friendly and ready to accept returns for immediate refund upon receipt.

You obviously have not had any scam buyers. It does not matter if you list the item "as is", nor does it matter if you state "No Returns". In almost all disputes, eBay will rule in favour of the Buyer.

Allowing a Buyer to return an item after more than a couple of days to examine and test the item is just damn ridiculous.

Selling on eBay is now the last resort for me.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:20 PM
kezeka
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Thorsten wrote:

Google Wallet exists. Check it out sometime.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Not sure where people are coming up with this 3% fee by eBay. The fees vary according to a number of factors. Most photo gear I have auctioned add up to fees closer to 10%.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:22 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Other forms of payment other than paypal?

Is my profile established enough that you would by from me with the gift option? You can trust me, I'm not like the others.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:26 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.