New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

nampramos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

I found a very? cheap ($27) Nikon FM that I can pick up locally next Monday.

The seller says that it is working perfectly and that it is from 1981, serial number FM 3167905.

Since I have never owned one and my experience with film cameras is very very limited, what should I be checking when I have the camera in my hands?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:47 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

There is a $2.99 app on the App Store that tests your shutter speeds....to make sure they're accurate...since the FM is fully mechanical, and speeds can change over time....you gotta buy a little thing off ebay that senses the light, but it's a handy tool...other than that, check that the shutter curtains aren't wrinkled, check for corrosion in the battery compartment, check they the AI indexing ring moves and returns freely, obviously that if winds and the shutter re-cocks between frames, check the foam lining on the film door that prevents light leaks......etc...then, put a roll of film through it...

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Mark_L
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

A lot of these cameras may have sat in a drawer for decades. Check the light seals and battery compartment, make sure there is a battery to test the meter, athough these are mechnical they do have a light meter. Check the slower shutter speeds feel in the ballpark by taking along another slr for a rough comparison.

They are nice cameras but the FE2 would be my pick. You may not get one for $27 though!

Goes without saying take a lens with an apature ring to test it

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

$27?! It may need new foams - but almost all cameras of this age do (mine did) - and just open the back and cycle through all the shutter speeds, eyeballing the shutter. Make sure the VF is not full of mold.
But man, $27? I would buy that site unseen!

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:41 AM
nampramos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

Thanks!

This will be a present to my girlfriend that started to show interested in photography. She never owned a SLR before so I would like her to start with film and with a manual camera.

What's the best way to give a good cleaning to the body of the camera? And what's the smallest 50mm available, is it the Series E?

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:49 PM
snegron
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Buying a Nikon FM on Monday

nampramos wrote:
Thanks!

This will be a present to my girlfriend that started to show interested in photography. She never owned a SLR before so I would like her to start with film and with a manual camera.

What's the best way to give a good cleaning to the body of the camera? And what's the smallest 50mm available, is it the Series E?

I never had much luck with Series E lenses; they fogged up and fell apart after a few years. You can probably pick up a 1.8 AIS in decent condition for a good price if you shop around.

As for your FM; congrats! Very solid little camera. Most of the meters on the older models have gone bad, but since the FM is mechanical all you would need would be an external meter of some sort (or go really old school with the Sunny 16 rule).

I would check the FM for battery corrosion damage, water damage and shutter curtain wrinkles. You can replace the foam seal yourself providing you have some patience. Enjoy!

Nov 26, 2014 at 03:36 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.