Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

GiovanniAprea
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

Hello everybody,

so, I have a cheap Cokin - P filter holder and a couple ND I sometimes use when shooting seascapes, my actual wide angle setup is an old Nikkor 28/2.8 (which is very often too narrow and which I hope I can replace with the 20mm next year) with a 52mm filter thread, I sometimes add the polarizer too to either loose some light for motion effect or to get the effect it was born for, the thing is I stack a couple step up rings to go from 52 to 77 millimeters, then add the polarizer (which is a beautiful B+W Kasemann one), set the polarizer, stack on it the holder adapter, then the adapter itself and then the ND; all of this stacking is a pain especially if changing angle or rotating the camera at then I have to remove the holder, turn the polarizer bla bla bla

I was wondering if there is a way to use the polarizer on top of the filter holder rather than below, I know the P system does't allow but I still plan to change it with a better one, maybe the X system from Cokin or something alike (especially in price cos the Lee are too expensive and photography to me is just a hobby), do you have any suggestion?

thank you so much

Nov 26, 2014 at 03:28 AM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

I use a threaded polarizer in conjunction with a Z-Pro holder system, in the normal position (that is, with the polarizer below the holder). I don't need to disassemble the holder to adjust the polarizer. I thread the Z-Pro ring into the end of the polarizer tight enough so that when I turn the ring, it also turns the polarizer. Since the holder is still free to rotate on the ring, I can independently adjust the rotation of the polarizer and whatever is in the holder.

Another, but much more expensive, option is to get Cokin's sprocket-type polarizer, which fits into a double slot on the Z-Pro holder. It is expensive and, in my option, not worth it; any coating it has is not the equivalent of the better polarizers and I had a lot of flare problem. I moved from that to a threaded B+W, adjusted as described above.

Dave

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:57 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

My polarizer is threaded, I didn't chose the low profile one on purpose, I guess my P Cokin holder is where I have to move on and get the Z-Pro as you say.

Thank you Dave

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:56 PM
dsjtecserv
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

You can get slim polarizers with threads on the outer ring. For example, the B+W XS series. Note that with the normal-depth polarizer, there may be some vignetting with the Z-Pro at very wide angles (~17 mm equiv. or less). It is actually the stacked filter holder rails that impinge, so you can minimize that by removing rails you don't need.

Dave

Nov 26, 2014 at 04:39 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Polarizer with filter holder - how to?

I have a non slim one and I know that there might be vignetting with very wide lenses, I think I will hopefully get the 20mm next year and from the filter description too I know that the phenomenon might happen with lenses wider than 24mm, that's not a big deal if I shoot with the D800 cos there is enough room for cropping and I read what you are reporting above e.g. vignetting due to the holder rails.

I think the way is to go the Z-Pro with a couple filters, the polarizer, as I said above, is not always necessary for its intended purpose but often I use it to loose a bit of luminosity as to allow longer shooting speed but it's good to know I can continue to use it the way I do by threading it on the lens then thread the holder adapter ring on it and rotate without to remover the holder like I do now.

by the way the polarizer is this one.

Thank you

Nov 27, 2014 at 07:54 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.