New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · "Pictures?" Fetish

hijazist
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · "Pictures?" Fetish

I understand that buyers should ask for pictures before committing to a purchase on the B&S forum. This would prevent possible conflict over the cosmetics of the item in the future. I sometimes ask for photos and people ask me to do that and that's totally fine, although I don't usually ask for photos from members with great feedback and I rely on their honest description. I always do my best to accurately describe my items and post as many pictures as I can.

However, there is a group of members who roam the forum asking others to post pictures with no intention of ever buying the item. They PM you, post on your thread, ask for more photos, photos of the box, etc... I had a member recently PMing me about sending photos to his email, then he posted on my thread "demanding his pictures", then after I obliged and posted the photos after 5 mints of him asking, he PMed me asking for photos of the box. It doesn't bother me much and that's his right as a buyer, however, since they usually end up disappearing after all this fuss I always wondered about the psychology behind all that drama? Am I missing something?

Your thoughts?

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:42 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · "Pictures?" Fetish

My opinion? It's pretty ridiculous when photographers don't post pictures of what they're trying to sell. BNIB being the exception.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:52 AM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · "Pictures?" Fetish

Posting pics IMHO also allows in the rare case for the very observant members here to find out if an OP was running a scam.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:03 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · "Pictures?" Fetish

Jason_Brook wrote:
My opinion? It's pretty ridiculous when photographers don't post pictures of what they're trying to sell. BNIB being the exception.

You somehow missed my point. I am not suggesting that posting pictures isn't important, which I point out in the first paragraph and argue for. I am just wondering why some people ask for pictures when they don't intend to buy in the first place.

Besides, sometimes I'd be selling my only camera and I don't have anything else to shoot with except my phone. When I post a picture with my phone I get a comment or a PM about how crappy the images I posted are

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:17 AM
Jason_Brook
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · "Pictures?" Fetish

I got your point. My point is I don't care if others are being heckled/harassed because of their negligence. If you don't want to deal with it, post pictures.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:52 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · "Pictures?" Fetish

Thanks for your input Jason although I still think you didn't get my point. I am not asking for sympathy and I am not bothered by people asking for pictures, but thanks anyway.

On the other hand, no one should be heckled/harassed for any reason especially if they didn't break any rules/laws, after all there is no rule here that you should post pictures especially if you have over 100 positive feedbacks with high $ transactions. It's like asking why do people get harassed on the street and the answer would well "if you don't want to be harassed then don't wear sexy clothes, or don't walk in x neighborhood, etc...".

Nov 26, 2014 at 03:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · "Pictures?" Fetish

I agree that nobody should be harassed. OTOH, it's not fair to discuss your discomfort with people asking for photos of something that you're trying to sell, in the same breath as discussing women being harassed while walking down the street.

Get over it.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:01 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · "Pictures?" Fetish

I meant harassment in general not only women, but you're right it's a simplistic example and I didn't mean to equate them.

Anyway, the thread turned out to be a mess. I was hoping to discuss why would someone do that, not whether we should post pictures or not.

Happy thanksgiving everyone

jcolwell wrote:
I agree that nobody should be harassed. OTOH, it's not fair to discuss your discomfort with people asking for photos of something that you're trying to sell, in the same breath as discussing women being harassed while walking down the street.

Get over it.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:40 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · "Pictures?" Fetish

Hussain,

Sorry if I sounded harsh. I got distracted by the apparent comparison.

As far as "why would someone do that?" goes, when "that" is a form of online harassment, I guess it's a dark side of humanity. Online harassment, especially from anonymous sources, is prevalent and often malicous. Why? I don't know.

I can think of two ways to handle being harassed on FM (for whatever reason): first, report it to Fred, and second, use the "HIDE ME" button.

Jim

P.S. using "fetish" in the title doesn't help... at least, not at FM.

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:08 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · "Pictures?" Fetish

No worries Jim You're right though, my bad word choice could be due to the fact I am not a native speaker of English...

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:52 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · "Pictures?" Fetish

I haven't posted an item for sale for quite some time... I'm more comfortable buying than selling gear... which would be a problem if I were married and had to account for my spending...

No doubt there are folks who inhabit the Buy and Sell forum for reasons beyond buying and selling. In the days of the wild west on this site, I spent a fair amount of time there simply musing with folks. But objections were made about friends bumping threads and efforts were made to make the forum what it has become today... a place to do transactions. But there will always be folks who want to kick the tires, so to speak, who aren't really ready to make a purchase. One thing that they can do is... ask for photos. I agree that posting photos is sensible, but I also agree that when it comes to folks I've known who have a reputation for fair dealing, I'm not concerned about photos. With 140 great posts, even though you've been here only two years, I'd likely give you the benefit of the doubt. Of course, I'd be looking at your feedback to see what those transactions were all about to satisfy myself you're the real deal.

The best you can do, is the best you can do. Post a few photos, check the feedback of prospective buyers, and if they haven't demonstrated they are serious, I'd respectively decline to go the extra mile by scrambling to give additional photos. The old joke among therapists is "what do you call a gorilla with a hundred dollar bill?" A client. I don't think we have to go that far to sell our gear. One reason I seldom list gear for sale any longer, despite maintaining an Upload and Sell subscription, is that I sell gear directly to friends I've made on the thread where I hang out. We don't worry about condition of lenses, or how payment will be handled. Generally the lens is shipped so it can be checked out before a check is sent as payment. This is FM at its best. I simply have no interest in dealing with folks who ONLY use FM to buy and sell gear.

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:51 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · "Pictures?" Fetish

hijazist wrote:
..... however, since they usually end up disappearing after all this fuss I always wondered about the psychology behind all that drama? Am I missing something?

Your thoughts?

God made us all different, some more different than the norm.

Dec 04, 2014 at 10:45 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.