Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

I took a 90 second exposure of this image with my Nikon D7100 at f/16 and am seeing this orange line across the image. I was using the Lee Big Stopper. Can someone tell me what might be causing this? Thanks.

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:21 PM
klb1122
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

Just taking a stab here, but did you have your viewfinder covered? Possible light leaking in through your viewfinder with the long exposure.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:21 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

I'm puzzled. Can you educate us your reasons and aims for using a 10-stop ND for such a scene?

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:36 PM
Lance B
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

Was there any light sources nearby? If so, there might be light reflection from behind the filter onto the lens if there are no baffles to stop it. Otherwise, as klb1122 suggests, it could be if you didn't have the VF cover on.

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

Looks like a light source hit the sensor. Is this the only image or is it doing it more often?

Where was this taken at? Very cool building!

Nov 26, 2014 at 09:52 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

I've seen that before with the extra high-density filters. Shade the filter better and block any light from reaching it. Artificial lights can be especially problematic. Alternatively, as mentioned above, avoid such filters when possible.

EBH

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:22 AM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

mshi wrote:
I'm puzzled. Can you educate us your reasons and aims for using a 10-stop ND for such a scene?

I just got the stopper and was trying it out. I wanted a longer exposure as I wanted to smooth out the water which was a little choppy. It wasn't dark enough to get a longer exposure without the stopper.

Steve

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:02 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

eth3rton wrote:
Looks like a light source hit the sensor. Is this the only image or is it doing it more often?

Where was this taken at? Very cool building!

This is the underside of a bridge in Jacksonville, Florida. It does look very cool. It was doing this in some other images and light might have been coming in via the viewfinder the more I think about it. Just have not seen this other times I did some longer exposures.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:06 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

Before I even looked at the image or read the thread, just based on the title, my response was "viewfinder was uncovered during long exposure?" I had the same issue a while back, and yes, it will be hit or miss if you have it depending on the image, camera placement, etc.

I keep the viewfinder cover for my D600 (now 610) taped to my ND filter case so I don't forget.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:30 PM
kaplah
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cause Of Line Across Image?

Well, late to the party, but:viewfinder uncovered, or other light leak from somewhere.

I find it helpful to drape a black towel / t-shirt over the assembly, just in case.

Nov 28, 2014 at 10:21 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.