New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7dmkii battery problem

mgrabow250

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7dmkii battery problem

I've been following FM for a few years but never had anything to say. I received my 7dmkii yesterday and decided to micro adjust my 100-400, 70-200 2.8 and 400 5.6 lenses and canon 1.4 and 2x extenders. I also have a kenko 1.4x pro 300 DGX converter. The canon 2x was only for the 70-200. Everything went good until I matched the kenko with the 400 5.6. The camera went dead. The kenko works fine with the 70-200 and 100-400 but causes the 7dmkii to die after a few seconds when connected to the 400. I have to remove the battery and disconnect the kenko and 400 to get the camera to turn on. I tried two other batteries, cleaned battery and camera contacts and lense and converter contacts. The 400 works fine by itself or with the canon 1.4x. The kenko works fine with the 100-400 and 70-200. I can use the kenko and the 400 5.6 on my old 7d. Has anyone else seen a problem with this combination?

Mike

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:41 PM
kzoockof
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7dmkii battery problem

Doesn't sound like a battery problem to me. Especially after your additional testing of bats. Sounds like something like a compatibility issue between the three devices and maybe not (yet, hopefully) supported in the firmware. If no other answers, my suggestion is to query Canon or take the Kenko and 400 into your local camera shop to test on one of their 7d2 bodies.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:54 PM
mgrabow250

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7dmkii battery problem

Thanks, Just seems it's ok with the other two lenses. I would like to use the kenko because it allows the me to use f8 with all the focus points.

Mike

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:03 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7dmkii battery problem

Canon doesn't support aftermarket optics (has a warranty disclaimer) so you'll need to contact Kenko's USA distributor and let them know there's a problem. Maybe they'll eventually come up with a fix.

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:15 PM
mgrabow250

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7dmkii battery problem

Thanks, I only posted to see if anyone else had this problem. It almost seems as if this combination is trying to use more power than the camera is willing to use. Don't want to harm the camera. I waited too long for this upgrade.

Mike

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:27 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7dmkii battery problem

The Kenko TC's (PRO 300 DGX) cause recent cameras to hang and require removal of the battery and TC to get it working again. It happens with only certain lenses, not all.

The issue is related to AFMA on the 5D MK III, and the 6D, and now the 7D MK II, it seems. Turn off AFMA and see if the issue goes away. The 100mmL is also impacted by the TC issue.

About all you can do is turn off AFMA, or use a Canon unit if you want AF to work properly. With the 100mm L, there is no nice work around.

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7dmkii battery problem

mgrabow250 wrote:
Thanks, Just seems it's ok with the other two lenses. I would like to use the kenko because it allows the me to use f8 with all the focus points.

Mike

Kenko's work great, but can cause some quirky problems with some lenses. Unless i am wrong, the Kenko does NOT allow the 7D to AF with all focus points.

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:16 PM
mgrabow250

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7dmkii battery problem

Again thanks for the replies. I was worried that the 7dmkii would have to go back. The 100-400 allows me to use all focus points with the 7dmkii and the kenko. The 7d allowed me to use the outside focus points with the kenko and the 100-400 and 400 5.6. I'll stick to the canon tc's.

Mike

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:32 PM
phototronix

[X]
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7dmkii battery problem

I believe there are several settings that can affect battery life. One is how long you have the LCD display the image after the shot. Perhaps default settings are longer now than on the 7D. I lowered my cameras to 2 seconds display (which I think can go up to 8 seconds) and that helps a lot. Also just looking through all your pics on the LCD will eat the battery quickly too. On a new camera I suspect people will be looking through their photos more in the field as they test things out so one might get more life as they get more comfortable with the camera and need to use the LCD less and less.
BTW, as far as battery life, my understanding is that the grip just gives you two batteries. The camera uses one up first and only then does the 2nd one come into play.

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:36 AM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7dmkii battery problem

BTW, there are various different versions of the Kenko TC. There is a color dot painted on it (Not the red one) that denotes the silent upgrade. Each upgrade results in a different set of issues depending on camera model and lens model. Kenko does not admit to the issue or answer e-mails, but users find out pretty quickly if they have a affected combination.

Mar 06, 2015 at 03:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.