New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

pchaplo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

I shoot Canon 6D, 70-200 f/2.8L as my longest lense. I just bought Giotto carbon fibre legs GT2542L that has the height and feel that I prefer. and once again looked the like new Giotto GH 1780 ball head that has been sitting in my closet (used it once). I know it's a nice head but I'm a diehard Manfrotto/Bogen 410 gear head user for my commercial work. I love the precise 3-way moves. Wish there was a mini lightweight version of that! I love to level the horizon then shift my lense--or tilt as needed--it's just the way I work. Therefore I'm thinking that a nice simple lightweight 3-way head would work better for me than a ball head. Short or collapse-able handles a plus (no bulky handles). I will probably put a RRS plate on it for L-bracket so the head does not have to come with a quick release. 2 Bubble levels a must (and even a centered one near base a plus)! Another happy task as I sit by the toasty woodstove I see a Slik SH-704E that is compact - is there some compact, quality head along those line? Does anyone else prefer to have independent axis for adjustments? I also tend to set my camera up high and like the 2-axis levels on the tripod head (rather than cam hotshot). Let me know your thoughts and experience.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:24 PM
JameelH
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

Arca Swiss D4

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:59 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

its not all that light weight at 28oz.

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:51 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

Plus you'd have the kludgy clamping system to deal with. Arca-Swiss now use an extremely strong adhesive to fix their clamp on the head's stem.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:59 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

Is Giottos ripping off the Gitzo tripod nomenclature now? I'm sure that will not create any confusion

Why exactly do you need a 3-way head for landscapes? In the lightweight (hiking) category a ball head is usually better.

EBH

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:29 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

no. he's just mixed up as many are here at times.

everyone needs to do things the way they want.

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

Whoops meant Gitzo (red-faced). Yes that and it's just my quirky way of working and sometimes the seemingly cool stuff makes me realize a certain type of tool is part of my mojo. My old Bogen 410 was worn out and unrepairable so i got the Gitzo ball and surprise i greatly disliked it. So i bought a like-new 410 for commercial work. Magic, but heavy. Now that I'm doing my fine art landscape work, I need something lighter but with the separate 2-axis movements to 1) Level horizon and 2) while level, tilt as needed -- therefore, im thinking ack to a lightweight 3-way head, something along the lines of an old Tiltall head. I know that there are newer head designs -- let me know if you know if something along those lines.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:38 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightweight 3-way head for landscapes in backcountry

Not surprised about not liking the Gitzo ball head. There are so many better ones

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:39 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.