Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

jigesh
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

DontShoot wrote:
I have both D750 and D610 and got to use them side by side on a recent trip......

Which one was better focus-wise (accuracy and speed) in low light if you got a chance to use both in low light? Thanks!

Dec 02, 2014 at 07:29 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

JimFox wrote:
ha ha... now myself, the thought of going down from 36mp to 12mp is giving me nightmares and I haven't even gone to sleep yet. 12mp seems like the dark ages to me...

Well Jim, I was a history major at college so the thought of going back to an earlier era intrigues me. A friend from Italy asked me to take delivery of his D800 from B&H, asking that I remove the battery so the camera could be shipped to him. At the time lithium batteries were forbidden and B&H said they were forbidden by law from removing anything from the box. My friend told me to enjoy the camera before i sent it along, so I had a full week to play with it.

A few hours of shooting with the camera and my hand was cramping. Then I downloaded the images and my recently purchased iMac was cramping... I could have worked with the computer issues but the revisions made to the front and back of the grip were deal breakers for me... so 36 megapixels are to me irrelevant. Since I don't print photos that is even more the case.

But I'm glad you sleep better with your 36 megapixels. My friend whose work regularly appears in Sierra Club publications is tickled pink with those megapixels. He has left large format behind...

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

jigesh wrote:
Which one was better focus-wise (accuracy and speed) in low light if you got a chance to use both in low light? Thanks!

Oh without a doubt, the D750.
Not that the D610 was bad, but the D750 is just flat out better.

Dec 02, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Rags Hef
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

How about 610 focus point in low light?

Rags

Dec 02, 2014 at 11:03 PM
eaglewolf
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

mshi wrote:
Honestly I'd rather Nikon give us a 12MP camera with ISO performance of Sony A7r for low light while we can use D810 for higher resolution requirement. There ain't much resolution jump from 12MP to 24MP anyway if you do the math.

Interesting. I found the difference between 12 and 24MP to be huge between the D300 and D7100. I would have thought the same would be true for FX. Since I picked the D810 over the D750, I haven't seen the effects of that increase in FX as I tripled the resolution of my D700.

While I think the D300 and D700 make nice high speed cameras when that is what is called for, I would prefer a 24MP body built like them that could do 8fps. I see a 12MP body as a hard sell in this age of high resolution sensors. There are not enough advantages for most photographers for Nikon to make a good profit on it.

I appreciate the D610 / D750 comparisons though. I'm not in the market for another body right now, but the D750 does sound intriguing. Low light AF isn't always a factor for me, but when it is I got frustrated with my D300 and D700. (I don't yet have enough time using my newer cameras in low light to comment on that aspect.) The D750 might make it a non-issue.

David

Dec 03, 2014 at 05:13 AM
9 ck

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

Rags Hef wrote:

Rags

I don't own a D750 but one of the reasons I'm considering upgrading from D610 is the faboulus AF down to -3EV. That said in order to get the full potential of the D610 one has to know the limitations of the AF-assist light. The AF assist ligt only works with the center focus point (I usually use the focus lock not to accidentaly move the AF-point). The AF-assist light also only works with specific lenses - don't remember the limitations right now as the ones I use work (I have no 3rd party). The reach of the AF-assist light is also limited. Micheal the Mentor did a comparision of the D610 vs the 6D - with AF-assist light the 6D (rated also to -3EV as far as I recall) was only very slightly better than the D610. So the D610 is OK for low light, but has it's limitations.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:01 PM
Joseph.
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

Rags Hef wrote:

Rags

This is how I tested. At night, I go outside and try to focus on whatever I can focus on (leaves, tree branches, etc) using a fast prime. This I know for sure: The D610, D600, and Df will lock sometimes, but not always. The D700, D800, D750, and D4 will lock all the time. Always. It takes an extremely dark room with nothing to grab on to make these bodies hunt.

If you mostly shoot at daytime, or you're mostly on manual focus glass, and you're ok with 39 pts and the slightly uncomfortable grip of the D610, I'd say just stay with the D610. It is a great body and a tremendous value. The extra $1K will buy you some good glass.

So to summarize, these are the things you get with the D750 for $1K extra (ranked in terms of significance to me):

-Significantly better grip
-Somewhat better AF
-Tilting screen
-Wi-fi

Other small features that matter:
-The D750 allows you to use the REC button to change ISO (D610 doesn't)
-It allows you to use the OK button to zoom in on preview (D610 doesn't)
-It provides a meter bar on top LCD when in manual mode (D610 doesn't)

I think that's it. The other small features like flat picture control, 0.5 fps extra, and other fluff just don't make enough of a noticeable difference to me.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:29 PM
thr1961
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

I am sold.

So, the BNIB D610, fresh from Nikon, will go up for sale along with a Pixel grip and extra battery. Hopefully the market is not so saturated that I can get a fair price for it.

Thanks for all the comments and perspective.

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:45 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

current prices and volume on the For Sale forum

You will likely get more on eBay, even after paying the fees.

John

Dec 03, 2014 at 03:46 PM
capo99
• •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Any regrets over upgrading D610 to D750?

I did the same thing your considering about 6 weeks ago. Got a good price for my BNIB D610 (Nikon D600 replacement) and haven't looked back. Can't say I would have done it without the BNIB D610 replacement. No regrets and the D750 is as good as the reviews you've been reading.

Dec 04, 2014 at 02:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.