New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2014 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Deborah Kolt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

These were my 1Dxes. They blew circuit boards, but main circuit boards. They never bricked, but rather began to experience bizarre cascading electrical issues, such as changing file type in mid shoot (raw>JPEG, raw>M2, etc), illuminated focal point wandering aimlessly around the grid on its own, etc.

Neither has experienced the same issues since returning from repair. I have stopped swapping cards and batteries between bodies to assist in identifying the culprit if the problem comes up again. I also stopped using my oldest cards., i.e., the ones which had been in use longest. None were more than two years old and there were no off brands.

As I recall, there was no charge to repair either body. One was definitely out of warranty; not sure about the other.

My gut feeling is that a card may have become corrupted.

mitesh wrote:
Not sure if this is the same issue, but here is a thread from this past spring:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1289566/0

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:06 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Focus Locus wrote:
As was stated from the very beginning, the point is to find out if anyone on this forum, which is the forum I participate in, has experienced the same issues that I read about on other forums, with the same camera that I've already posted entire threads about buying.

I don't understand why the question is a problem to ask? I was taken by surprise this morning when I discovered the issue on those other forums. I hadn't recalled reading anything about it here, and knew several members here had 1Dx's. Therefore, this seemed like the ideal forum to
...Show more

OK, don't you read the threads here in the canon forum? .. the new canon flagships are hands off.. nothing negative posted on either the 1DX or the 7D2, or expect to get flamed.. any problems on either of them could maybe be discussed in the corner of a washroom, or down a dark alley.. now if you want to kick the 7D or 1D4 around, almost all these guys will give them a boot

Nov 27, 2014 at 04:34 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Nov 27, 2014 at 05:09 AM
surfwx

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Had a problem? Yes.

FP PCB ASSY part number CG2-3143-000 at a cost of $634.47AUS (parts n labour) done around 6 months ago no problem since (touches wood)

Nov 27, 2014 at 05:59 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Thinking a new board was about $600 for a 5d that I water damaged. Yeah I'd be worried about buying a camera that expensive if it was going to break. Might call a repair shop and see 1) how many they get and 2) what it costs to repair a board, etc. Although many probably go back to Canon.

All cameras can break, it's just a matter of if this one breaks a lot, and can you afford to fix it, if the warranty is out/ buy used.

You might be able to get a warranty used, I think KEH sells warranties with used gear. They used to, at least, havent bought from them lately

Nov 27, 2014 at 06:25 PM
PLGrant13

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

My DX has been bulletproof and I guarantee that I shoot in a worse environment than anyone here (dirt track racing).

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

surfwx wrote:
Had a problem? Yes.

FP PCB ASSY part number CG2-3143-000 at a cost of $634.47AUS (parts n labour) done around 6 months ago no problem since (touches wood)

That seems to be a common part that gets replaced, but the parts selling price at retail is about $230 AUS. Did you pay $400 in labor for the replacement of this part?

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:33 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Personally, I don't understand your need create the forum thread. I mean, you don't own a 1DX and you didn't mention you were wanting to buy one. So, what's the point?

Focus Locus wrote:
As was stated from the very beginning, the point is to find out if anyone on this forum, which is the forum I participate in, has experienced the same issues that I read about on other forums, with the same camera that I've already posted entire threads about buying.

I don't understand why the question is a problem to ask? I was taken by surprise this morning when I discovered the issue on those other forums. I hadn't recalled reading anything about it here, and knew several members here had 1Dx's. Therefore, this seemed like the ideal forum to
...Show more
kmunroe wrote:
OK, don't you read the threads here in the canon forum? .. the new canon flagships are hands off.. nothing negative posted on either the 1DX or the 7D2, or expect to get flamed.. any problems on either of them could maybe be discussed in the corner of a washroom, or down a dark alley.. now if you want to kick the 7D or 1D4 around, almost all these guys will give them a boot

The 1DX is a relatively mature product so failures should be well known by now and major defects should be in a service advisory. The 7D II is too new to have accumulated much reliable data. Many new products are returned or sent in for service because they do not meet user expectations although they are operating as designed. As well there may be significant 7D II defects that have not yet come to light due to confounding factors.

EBH

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

AmbientMike wrote:
All cameras can break, it's just a matter of if this one breaks a lot, and can you afford to fix it, if the warranty is out/ buy used.

All cameras can break if they are misused.

I have way more problems with car and truck factory defects than I do with camera factory defects.

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM
surfwx

p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Shutterbug2006 wrote:
Did you pay $400 in labor for the replacement of this part?

If retail is as you say then yes.

Body had/has never been abused and was only a few months old when it bricked.
Grey import so warranty ......... I put it in the sh1t happens category.

67023 activations since repair.

Nov 28, 2014 at 01:26 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

kmunroe wrote:

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:44 AM
Eric Savetsky
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

I had that same problem of 1DX bricking and requiring the battery to be removed and reinserted in order to get the camera working again. Canon replaced a board. Now I am having the same problem with my 1DC, which unfortunately happened to me underwater where I can't simply remove and reinsert the battery, causing me to miss some fantastic shooting opportunities like the 200lb Napoleon Wrasse that started following me around at Blue Corner, Palau last week. I'm sure Canon will take care of it, but ....... 2nd time for me.

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:11 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

I do not find anything wrong with the OP post at all.

Nov 28, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

RobertLynn wrote:
I do not find anything wrong with the OP post at all.

Thanks Robert. I appreciate the fact that you and a few others saw the question at face value for what it was: simply asking if anyone around here has had this particular problem with their 1Dx. Turns out that Deborah Kolt, Surfwx, and Eric C. all needed to have circuit boards replaced in their 1DX's. That was the kind information I wanted to know.

Clearly, more than one person, on more than one forum, has reported needing circuit boards replaced in their 1Dx. In the past 10 continuous years, I've shot with seven different models of the 1D series, and I've never needed a circuit board replaced. So all of these reports were surprising news to me, and I wanted to know more so I could better determine the likelihood that I might encounter a similar problem. Based on my own experience of never once needing a circuit board in a camera, I would not have predicted that circuit boards might be an issue in the new 1Dx.

This is helpful to know when it comes to assessing the value a warranty, because it portends a higher probability of needing that warranty. And for US residents, it highly factors into the risk / savings ratio when comparing a new USA camera with a nationwide Canon USA warranty, versus a grey camera with a warranty administered solely by the non authorized store selling the grey market warranty. Obviously, the more problems reported by other users of the camera, the more weight is added to the risk side of any savings from buying gray. This was the ultimate purpose of my question at the juncture of time when I posted the thread.

Shutterbug2006, I don't understand your attacks of my intent in starting this thread, nor your defense of this camera, nor your minimizing the costs to fix the problem, nor your dismissal of the issue based on it being covered under warranty, nor your comparisons to the reliability of your cars, nor the captain obvious remarks about how "all things break." I think by the time most adults are old enough to have an interest in acquiring a $6K camera, they've already had enough life experience to figure out that anything can fail, for any reason.

Sometimes, people will defend a camera because they own it, and plan to sell it soon, and perhaps don't want to see anything negative posted about the camera until they are out from underneath theirs at the highest value. I can understand that, and obviously have no possible way to know if that is what is at stake in this case. But as for my intent, it is plain and straightforward, with no hidden agenda. I simply needed a better idea of how pervasive an oft reported circuit board and shut down issue is with this camera, so I could choose my warranty risk and service plan accordingly.

Dec 07, 2014 at 05:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

It sounds like you're a nervous Nellie, not that there is anything wrong with that. However, your concern about the body being defective was originally expressed as an assertion rather than a question, so it's bound to attract such comments.

Realistically what are your options - wait for the 1DX II to have been out for a year, try the D4s, wait for the wheels to fall off your 1D IV? I have three 1Ds IIIs because one or another would sometimes need repairs. Don't even get me started about Nikon crappy products and dismal repair service.

EBH

Dec 07, 2014 at 06:04 PM
sphinxa
• •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

I recently incurred a $180 bill to repair a "dead" 1DX. They had to replace the circuit board. It had been intermittently shutting down and then it finally went dead, It works fine after the repair.
Amin

Dec 07, 2014 at 07:36 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Focus Locus wrote:
Shutterbug2006, I don't understand your attacks of my intent in starting this thread, nor your defense of this camera, nor your minimizing the costs to fix the problem, nor your dismissal of the issue based on it being covered under warranty, nor your comparisons to the reliability of your cars, nor the captain obvious remarks about how "all things break." I think by the time most adults are old enough to have an interest in acquiring a $6K camera, they've already had enough life experience to figure out that anything can fail, for any reason.

Sometimes, people will defend a
...Show more

If you had stated in your first post you were intending on buying one, I wouldn't have commented at all. I don't follow your posts, so if you've mentioned it in other threads, I'd have no knowledge of that. I can think of a better thread title if you'd been interested in buying a 1DX and were worried about defects in the design or manufacture that camera. I expect a 3% failure rate on electronic goods, so to hear of one or even twenty identical failures on any given forum - really doesn't mean much in the scheme of things - to me.

Dec 07, 2014 at 10:22 PM
rollee
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

I just found this thread.
My 1DX just died on me the way it was described here, it is one of the newer '9' serial just over a year old, used sparingly with care. (< 50k actuations)
I noticed the camera at times will not register the correct charge on the battery, but It never froze on me until today when I took it out from the case.
The camera came back on momentarily after a few changes / reinserting of the battery, but went dead again as I was going through the menu items.

Does this sound like the battery circuit board problem as discussed here?

Oct 24, 2015 at 01:23 AM
jeremy_clay
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

Holy crap, post the 10000th thread about birds here, no one bats an eye - actually DISCUSS CANON GEAR ON A CANON GEAR FORUM and people lose their minds!

Oct 24, 2015 at 07:13 AM
anscochrome
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · 1DX shut downs, won't power up, and circuit board failures

jeremy_clay wrote:
Holy crap, post the 10000th thread about birds here, no one bats an eye - actually DISCUSS CANON GEAR ON A CANON GEAR FORUM and people lose their minds!

Yes, welcome to "The Canadian Amateur/Professional Bird Photography Association" forum-it has been accidentally misnamed the Canon Forum for a few years now

Oct 24, 2015 at 07:44 AM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.