FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

gordon l
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Visiting Chesler Park has been a long-term goal of mine. This year I finally made it into the Needles district of Canyonlands. You have to backpack to reach this area. I traveled with my daughter and camp at a wonderful little camp site right next to use these beautiful spires. As the son was getting lower in the sky, I wandered around with my camera. With clear skies, the golden hour was really about 10 minutes long. This is the photo that I thought was best of the bunch.
If interested: Chesler Park hiking link
--Gordon Smith

http://gordonsmith.smugmug.com/Landscapes/Photo-of-the-Month/Photo-of-the-Month-1/i-pSZzxbC/1/XL/Chesler%20Park%20Sunset-%20%20Spires%20and%20Grasses%20-%20Version%202-XL.jpg

Nov 25, 2014 at 01:46 PM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Gordon,
very nice work! wonderfully done.

Nov 25, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Very nice. I was there over 20 years ago and I still remember the beauty of the place. I also remember blazing sun, 90+ degree temperatures and hiking in and back with a single quart canteen.

Nov 25, 2014 at 05:52 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Very nice photograph of an amazing place!

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:26 PM
sachman
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Love the light on the spires! Beautiful

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:13 PM
Bob Altic
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Great shot, love Canyonlands....TFS, Bob

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:31 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Nice shot of Chesler Park. Always wanted to photograph there. Needles area is really nice, I drove in to Elephant hill trailhead one evening for sunset there and saw the Needles in the distance. Must have been a great trip/hike!

Nov 28, 2014 at 12:44 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

wayne seltzer wrote:
Nice shot of Chesler Park. Always wanted to photograph there. Needles area is really nice, I drove in to Elephant hill trailhead one evening for sunset there and saw the Needles in the distance. Must have been a great trip/hike!

This really is an unforgettable place. Part of that comes from the inaccessibility. I drove over Elephant Hill, risking life and automobile in the process. Then a backpack into the park was next.

This is great to see in person. If you ever take the time to visit, it'll be worth your while.

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:13 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

gordon l wrote:
This really is an unforgettable place. Part of that comes from the inaccessibility. I drove over Elephant Hill, risking life and automobile in the process. Then a backpack into the park was next.

This is great to see in person. If you ever take the time to visit, it'll be worth your while.

Yep, three years have passed by since and I hear it calling me. So cool you got to share that experience with your daughter who must have loved it too. Wow, Elephant hill trail i read is one of the toughest jeep trails there in the park and you did it in a car!

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:12 PM
lionking
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Beautiful light!
Well done.

Andrey

Nov 28, 2014 at 04:54 PM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

wayne seltzer wrote:
Yep, three years have passed by since and I hear it calling me. So cool you got to share that experience with your daughter who must have loved it too. Wow, Elephant hill trail i read is one of the toughest jeep trails there in the park and you did it in a car!

I did it in a 4Runner with 17 inch tires. That made it but just barely and was WAY beyond any dirt road I've ever tackled before. I broke one of my taillights (I have no idea how) and burned a small amount of rubber getting traction on some of the slickrock, but I made it. What an accomplishment!

You can drive it but must be prepared for some very uncomfortable situations where you ask yourself this question: am I INSANE?!!!

That being said, it's unforgettable and so much fun (if you don't wreck your car).

Dec 01, 2014 at 11:26 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Beautiful capture Gordon.
I'm looking forward to more from your adventure!

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:06 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Gordon, you got the perfect glow. Very nice imaging.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:30 PM
zhangyue
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Gordon, I like the color and light glowing. but somehow, I am a little bothered by perspective distortion in both horizontal and vertical way here, it could be only me though.

Dec 01, 2014 at 12:51 PM
Alan Brock
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

What a cool place, and it sounds like you guys had an adventure that you'll remember for a lifetime! Nice capture and very natural processing. I like it as you shot it, but also think it can work well as more of a pano. I did a "browser crop" taking off the bottom fourth and, for me, that works as well. Either way, you've got a great image. For reference, how tall are those spires?

Dec 02, 2014 at 08:34 AM
gordon l
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Clear Skies at Chesler Park: Sunset

Alan Brock wrote:
What a cool place, and it sounds like you guys had an adventure that you'll remember for a lifetime! Nice capture and very natural processing. I like it as you shot it, but also think it can work well as more of a pano. I did a "browser crop" taking off the bottom fourth and, for me, that works as well. Either way, you've got a great image. For reference, how tall are those spires?

Thanks very much Alan. I like this as is because of the meadow but I can see the pano in my mind too.

This are TALL. Those small green trees/bushes on the lower right at the base of the spires are as tall as a person. So, these towers are easily over 100 feet. Probably somewhere between 100 and 200 feet.

Dec 04, 2014 at 11:49 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.