New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · At the farm

Lilki
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · At the farm

I don't normally post on this forum and don't usually do portraits, but here goes.. This was shot directly into the sun, natural light, right before sunset. As I said I don't normally do portraits and I'm really looking to improve, so let me have it! Please?
N16A4013.jpg by fzzlcat, on Flickr

Nov 25, 2014 at 01:53 AM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · At the farm

"...so let me have it! Please?"

Nice job.

You've made good use of the colours of sunset in this shot. It makes a great background. Composition is good too. My personal taste is too have less space above Mom's head, but others will think differently.

Mom's partially hidden face is a slight negative. Maybe you have other shots where she's looking at the camera. The girl's legs seem to be some shade of purple, while her face looks natural in colour.

Nov 25, 2014 at 02:12 AM
dmacmillan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · At the farm

The girl has a really nice expression. I would have liked to see mom looking at the camera without hair in front of her face. I'd also like to see her sitting up straight.

I don't know how you post process, but if you have PS or LR, hover over the girl's sock. Look at the reading you get. Blue will predominate. If you have a WB eyedropper tool, you can use the white socks as a neutral color and click on them. I may not be perfect, but it will get you in the ballpark. I hope you shot RAW, you'll get a better correction on the RAW file, IMO.

I'm guessing this was taken on a brilliant day with lots of blue sky. That blue sky is the primary source of illumination of your subject.

The good news is that the photo can be improved in PP. I might even mask the background when correcting the subject color to keep it from going too warm. I do love the background, the colors and sun flare are lovely and the bokeh is very nice.

Nov 25, 2014 at 11:01 AM
Lilki
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · At the farm

Jim Rickards wrote:
"...so let me have it! Please?"

Nice job.

You've made good use of the colours of sunset in this shot. It makes a great background. Composition is good too. My personal taste is too have less space above Mom's head, but others will think differently.

Mom's partially hidden face is a slight negative. Maybe you have other shots where she's looking at the camera. The girl's legs seem to be some shade of purple, while her face looks natural in colour.

I do have other shots with mom looking up but, unfortunately, the little girl had had a long day at the farm and this was the only shot where she wasn't staring blankly at the camera. I can't say that I blame her, as this shoot wasn't exactly planned. Thank you so much for your kind words.
---------------------------------------------

dmacmillan wrote:
The girl has a really nice expression. I would have liked to see mom looking at the camera without hair in front of her face. I'd also like to see her sitting up straight.

I don't know how you post process, but if you have PS or LR, hover over the girl's sock. Look at the reading you get. Blue will predominate. If you have a WB eyedropper tool, you can use the white socks as a neutral color and click on them. I may not be perfect, but it will get you in the ballpark. I hope you shot RAW,
...Show more

Thank you so much for the advice. I totally agree with you about the posture and hair. Unbelievably, I didn't even realize the girl's lower legs were purple. I actually almost cropped out the straw bale but decided it was an important environmental prop. We were at a farm after all. Thankfully I did shoot in raw.

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply.

Nov 26, 2014 at 05:13 AM
Nexu
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · At the farm

You've captured some beautiful light in the background so you have the makings of a beautiful portrait.

I think the mom & child need a fairly good bump in exposure and also add some warmth to get rid of the cool skin tones.

Nov 26, 2014 at 07:18 AM
Lilki
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · At the farm

Thank you so much for your advice Nexu

Nov 27, 2014 at 06:05 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.