Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

JonPB
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

Here's an image, with two photos, that I'm still trying to figure out. This is a departure from my normal aesthetic; normally, I like to pair images of differing subjects that have the same feel, but here I have similar subjects that are rendered quite differently. I welcome all criticism: about either image, about their pairing, about how they're presented together.

Thanks for looking!

Portland by Morning, Portland by Night copy by
jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Cheers,
Jon

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

I like it as a diptych, but it would be more unified if the buildings on the right panel didn't lean at an angle. Could also have more unity perhaps if the scene on the right were lightened to have less brightness contrast, compared to the left image.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

Curious how they would look paired in reverse order so that the bridges "connect" and the tonal values transition from dark to light.

One thing that kinda catches my attention in the image on the right is the heavy cyan in the bulildngs and the water ... yet, the clouds/sky are much more neutral and/or warm. You've got a couple of nice images ... one with the drama and one with a softer vibe.

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:26 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

+1 on 'connecting'
If you want to keep the left/right as-is, I would suggest shifting the right image up a bit so the two banks of the river (and the hill) line up better.

Since you are in portland it seems, lots of opportunities for a reshoot... I'd be curious to see two sides of the same scene with the dark/light rendering. Seems like this is two slightly different scenes.

Nov 25, 2014 at 01:37 PM
JonPB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portland by Morning, Portland by Night.

Thank you all for the comments. Post-processing is probably the part of my imaging chain that I know the least about, but I'm enjoying trying to find a voice with it.

I tried it with the images the other way around, as RustyBug and FarmerJohn suggested, and it creates a more harmonious diptych--a word I love, but which I don't think I've seen since college, thanks AuntiPode!--but feels wrong in my head. I can't quite put my finger on why. Perhaps because doing that splits the city center out to either side. Or, perhaps because the story of "into the city in the morning, out of the city at night" reads from left to right and describes how most of my days flow.

Here's a second draft. I treated the "by night" side with the same general approach that the "by morning" side already had: lower local contrast with raised global contrast. Also, lightened it up a bit and straightened the buildings. Getting closer, I think.

Portland by Morning, Portland by Night, draft 2 copy by jpb@pdx, on Flickr

Cheers,
Jon

Edit: good eye, Rusty. I pulled out the blue (as well as the waves, though that isn't too visible in this low-res version) in the image on the right, and adjusted the white balance in the clouds. Too much?

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:40 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.