FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

frdjohns
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Hello all, I am seeking advice.

I have been asked by a family to recommend or help find a new (to them) DSLR camera and Lens for their daughter, who has started attending college (on a full scholarship). She wishes to study photography, but has no gear as of yet. They wish to give it to her for Christmas.

The problem is that this family is extremely limited financially, and has five children. Their budget is $200.00. No more. They just can't afford any more.

My first reaction was to say "can't be done". But now I'm thinking maybe a used Nikon D70s w/ kit 18-70 lens or a D40 w/ 18-55 might be "do-able". While only 6mb, both were great beginner cameras, can produce good results, and offer her the controls and experience of a full DSLR. The D70s offers the benefit of a screw drive, so it will work with non-afs lenses. I have seen these on ebay within the families' budget constraint - but with the bay you never really know what quality you are getting. I don't want them to get junk (and yes, I am watching the for sale forum here on FM).

So are these the best two options for a beginner, given a $200 limit? Is there something else I should consider?

Please don't write and tell me to spend more. Please don't suggest things that cost more. Please don't flame me, I'm just trying to help a mom give her kid a nice Christmas.

Any suggestions on gear to consider would be welcome.

If you have an old set of gear in your closet that you think might fit the bill and are willing to part with it, PM me.

Thanks,
Fred

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Nice gesture on your part. I have always thought it a better idea to give cash and let someone go to the camera store or shop for what they like. Maybe the girl has a preference.

Nov 24, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Peter Sims
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

It's a couple bucks over, but KEH is selling a D70 and 18-55vr (separately). KEH is great for used gear. Even stuff rated BGN (bargain) looks great and functions perfectly.

https://www.keh.com/356352/nikon-d70-6-1-m-p-digital-camera-body

https://www.keh.com/296625/nikon-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-g-aspherical-af-s-dx-vr-black-autofocus-lens-for-aps-c-sensor-dslrs-52

Nov 24, 2014 at 04:16 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

a used MF lens of 35 mm or 85 mm and an old Nikon film body - that will be cheapest and will teach her real photography

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:20 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

I've seen D3200 kits for around $300 and D3300 kits for around $400 (watch slickdeals.net), get that, add a refurb 35/1.8 for ~$160, and a Yongnuo flash for under $100. Done.

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:37 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Film body brings the specter of developing costs, not to mention finding someplace to develop film.

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:40 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

and those are low, esp. if the college lets her use a lab for B&W

if not sufficiently low, then they force a focus on making each click count

I also say skip the flash for now

if a DSLR is required, then what is the cheapest working used body that can take a $50 MF lens?

Nov 24, 2014 at 06:07 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

runamuck wrote:
Film body brings the specter of developing costs, not to mention finding someplace to develop film.

Develop it at her school for free?

Kent in SD

Nov 24, 2014 at 07:22 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Not trying to be funny here - I genuinely do not know - when you study photography in college does the school provide any equipment?

Nov 24, 2014 at 07:24 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

I don't know how good a D70 is but, the 18-70mm is a fine lens. That said. I would look at Canon. I had a 40D I sold for $150 to a buddy. That's a darn fine camera even with an 18-55mm. You get live view, a big lcd and 6 fps and I think the ergonomics are way better than my D7000. I am not sure how much worse a 30D is, but you might want to check into it.

Chicago Skyline 1 by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Cat on a Picket Fence by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Reflecting on the the Des Plaines River by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Nov 24, 2014 at 08:25 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Here is another option (before I get burned at the stake for heresy) I had the Xsi prior to the 40D. You can probably find one uber cheap. This looks really cool printed. I actually sold a couple of prints ( for cost and a buck :-) )

Wildcat Canyon Starved Rock State Park by Mark Kasick, on Flickr

Nov 24, 2014 at 08:39 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

I am suprised though, that they don't run them thru the whole film thing and devolping and processing B&W prints.
Boy, with film you could get one hell of a nice set up for 200 bucks. Really nice stuff.

Nov 24, 2014 at 09:03 PM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

All the courses I've seen start off with film. It would be a bummer if she needed a film camera for school but was given a digital one.

The kid I bought my Nikon FM2n from was studying photography at the Pasadena Center for Art and Design. He told me they were required to get the 35mm slr, but he was now selling it as his next classes required medium format film cameras.

Nov 24, 2014 at 09:31 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Any slr with 8-12mp THAT FITS HER...whether a "rebel" sized body or the larger size (e.g. Canon 30D/40D) that has a few more features...
Both kit lenses for Nikon/Canon are 18-55 IS/VR and very good...

Photoshop Elements (<$100) or one of the freebies available on-line, to learn how to post process to get the most out of gear and images...

One MANUAL focus lens to teach how to control depth of field...I know AF lenses CAN be used manually, but a lens designed for manual focus will focus with more accuracy.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:35 PM
KankRat
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

jay tieger wrote:
Any slr with 8-12mp THAT FITS HER...whether a "rebel" sized body or the larger size (e.g. Canon 30D/40D) that has a few more features...
Both kit lenses for Nikon/Canon are 18-55 IS/VR and very good...

Photoshop Elements (<$100) or one of the freebies available on-line, to learn how to post process to get the most out of gear and images...

One MANUAL focus lens to teach how to control depth of field...I know AF lenses CAN be used manually, but a lens designed for manual focus will focus with more accuracy.

At a budget of sub $200 before Xmas you get WHAT YOU CAN FIND. :-)

I have small hands and a woman sold me the 40D. That camera was awesome and better in every way other than the Xsi had 2 million more pixels. The only thing is after looking on Ebay, they go for more than I sold mine fore.

I'd pick the 18-70mm nikon lens over the Canon 18-55mm though. Either $200 is tight, it will be what you can find.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:23 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

I took photography at the school I'm currently attending (but not as my major). The first class, which is a prerequisite for every other photography class, was 35mm film, and though we did our own developing there, we still had to buy paper (RC and Fiber) to do prints, and Archival museum quality boards to mount the prints, a grain scope, tank for developing film, along with reels, about another $500 in expenses for the class.

You may want to call the school to see what she's going to need for the first year of classes as far as photography equipment, before deciding on how to proceed.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:58 AM
MalbikEndar
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Quite apart from the desirability of studying photography- it seems to be unwise to try to buy school materials without actually knowing the requirements. Like buying an Econ 1 textbook and getting the wrong one.

I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to study photography to read some of the pro photography boards (like here). A student needs to distinguish between things which can be a personally rewarding lifetime activity and things that, well, allow one to make a living.

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:15 AM
playerofwar
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

D80 with 18-105 is within that budget. Has a better screen than the shitty D70 screen and is a good start imo.

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:21 AM
rjb6893
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Retired university counselor here. I'll bet the student will need a film camera for the first course or two, and she'll be expected to use it manually. No zooms allowed at this stage. Many college towns have camera shops nearby that rent such equipment to both college and high school students. Many institutions also have arrangements with Adobe and other software companies for significant student discounts.
I'd check with her college counselor/department chair for her specific needs. Good luck to you on your generous mission and good light to the young lady!
Ron

Nov 25, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Robert E
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Advice on Begining Nikon Kit

Inquiry Sent

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:12 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.