New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Photo hanging system?

susann

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo hanging system?

Any recommendations for a hanging wall system for my house? I have a large dining room that I would like to display some framed photographs and wanted to see if any one had one that they have used and liked.

Nov 24, 2014 at 01:06 AM
larryt
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo hanging system?

Mt tenants use nails

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:23 PM
verbiage
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo hanging system?

I just got advice to use double-sided sticky tape and put it in a t shape, e.g. the vertical line on the back of the matting, the cross line on the wall. I'm going to give this method a try.

This would probably not work for frames, especially heavier ones with glass.

Nov 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo hanging system?

when I re-did my living room, I eventually settled on this system.........

http://www.ashanging.com/en/click-rail-system/

It's important to get a system where you can insert/remove the wires from anywhere (not just the ends).

Absolutely no complaints other than $15 shipping charge for any size package so make sure you dont need 'one more small thing'

I've also used some 3M Command hangers (they make one w a metal piece) and it's been fine for medium sized pieces.

Nov 27, 2014 at 07:17 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo hanging system?

howardm4 wrote:
when I re-did my living room, I eventually settled on this system.........

http://www.ashanging.com/en/click-rail-system/

It's important to get a system where you can insert/remove the wires from anywhere (not just the ends).

Absolutely no complaints other than $15 shipping charge for any size package so make sure you dont need 'one more small thing'

I've also used some 3M Command hangers (they make one w a metal piece) and it's been fine for medium sized pieces.

Howard, how noticeable are the cables hanging down from the tracks. Are your tracks hidden behind some molding or are they exposed.

Trying to visualize how this would look in living rooms. I know they look ok in galleries, but you sort of expect a hanging system in the gallery.

Any pics of your system would be great.

Harry

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:25 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo hanging system?

Hi Harry,

well, I got the ultra thin SS cables so they are noticeable but they make clear-ish nylon. The track is exposed sitting just below some moulding and kinda look like part of the moulding.

PM me your email and I'll snap a few phone pix for you

Edited on Nov 28, 2014 at 09:52 AM · View previous versions

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:40 PM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo hanging system?

verbiage wrote:
I just got advice to use double-sided sticky tape and put it in a t shape, e.g. the vertical line on the back of the matting, the cross line on the wall. I'm going to give this method a try.

This would probably not work for frames, especially heavier ones with glass.

This is living wild, unless you are absolutely sure you can either get it straight the first time, don't care if it's crooked, and never want to remove it or use in a different location.

Nov 28, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Methodical
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo hanging system?

larryt wrote:
Mt tenants use nails

How else could they mount picture frames?

Nov 28, 2014 at 02:54 PM
susann

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo hanging system?

Thank you so much for the replies, and I am looking into that Ashanging system. That is exactly what I'm looking for, and thanks for howardm4 for including the photo.

Nov 28, 2014 at 05:49 PM
zanejc

[X]
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo hanging system?

Just for share.. Are alredy go to http://www.amazon.com/
You can see information that do you need and you can compare them

Nov 28, 2014 at 06:41 PM
Mr. Stacey

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo hanging system?

Monkey Hooks

Nov 29, 2014 at 02:49 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo hanging system?

AS Hanging also has a bottom rail and some cable fixtures that allow the cable to be placed under tension. String up some cables every foot or so, get some rare earth magnets, and voila. Won't work with frames, though.

A less expensive and traditional method would be picture moulding rail on the wall and then get the necessary hooks and line. Older homes with plaster walls had this moulding installed about 2" down from the ceiling- you can pick any aesthetically pleasing distance.

The moulding, hooks and line are available from many sources.

Lots of hook styles are available, and not as contemporary as the AS System rails, but you could use their line and line anchors to hold the frames from your hooks.

AS has steel cables with loops on one end.

AS has a kit that includes steel cable cutters and epoxy for the cut ends. You will need that or an equivalent if you have not worked with braided steel cable before.

Nov 29, 2014 at 07:48 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo hanging system?

I dont recall seeing them when I purchased my 'kit'. I just got the shortest cables they have and the excess is coiled behind the frames.

You can/should prime/prepaint the track before installation. The wire 'stabilizers' are a 'good thing' to have so the frames are straight (in 2 planes)

Nov 29, 2014 at 08:17 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photo hanging system?

When I ordered my stuff on the phone, I was asked about the cable cutting and end sealing kit. I already have wire rope cutters for small cable like the AS stuff.

I think it is buried well on their website.

Nov 29, 2014 at 09:16 AM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photo hanging system?

it's not an epoxy (a 2part, mix as you need type adhesive). it looks like it's probably just a thick type of instant (CA) glue.

Nov 29, 2014 at 10:16 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.