New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

TheEmrys
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Sounds like you are getting close to a decision. What do you think of the Loxia?

Picture This! wrote:
Great shots with the FE 55 Charles. But then, I've seen your work on the A7* thread with other lenses that left me very impressed. I think it has more to do with the nice compositions and your use of light as well. The FE 55 looks to be a technically amazing lens and AF is a great bonus it doesn't seem to have the character of some of the other choices mentioned here. I've looked through literally hundreds of pics and while the resolution and sharpness are top notch, there's something missing i can't quite put my finger
...Show more

Nov 25, 2014 at 06:25 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Based on sample images, the output of the Loxia is more to my liking than the 55 FE. It seems to be a dual personality lens (slightly soft wide open and very sharp stopped down). But its a f/2 and I'm looking for a faster lens.

So have decided to get the voigtlander 50/1.5 and just found one on the board.

I'll most likely try the Loxia as well and sell some of the others...

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

The voigtlander seems to have that character I'm looking for. I like its color output and has a good balance between resolution, sharpness without being clinical. Also like my good friend Jack (JaKo) says its sexy in chrome and I had to try it

Will post some shots once it arrives. Thanks again for all the help folks.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:04 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Cool deal. Can't wait to see the images.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:32 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Does the Voightlander 50/1.5 need the special close focus adapter m-e adapter?

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:52 PM
charles.K
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Thank you very much for the kind words and comments

Tariq, thank you The FE 55 combined with sensor of the A7s is amazing!! There is a connection with a well matched lens with the paint like rendering of the A7s which is very hard to beat. Add to this, that you can AF in moon light and it is accurate and quite fast. It is a fun setup!! Compared to the other 50's mentioned, each have their strengths in different lighting conditions and the look that you are after. I could never just have one 50 FL, having the 50 Nocti f/1.0 and 50 Cron DR.

uscmatt, I always use focus and recompose, out of habit and technique with AF. I find this works very well with the A7r and the A7s, I find it faster and more accurate. I have never used the generic AF, as I find I do not have control of the focus point. Habits of using a RF

Picture this, thanks!! I think sometimes the only way to evaluate a lens is to test it for yourself, and whether it works. If you could borrow one and see whether the lens gels. IMO, I think you will end up with a few 50's. We have a smorgasbord of 50's and the CV 50/1.5 is really nice. You are right, Jack has beautifully demonstrated the CV 50/1.5.

The FE 55 with the A7r can be subtle too. Here is a shot from a work function.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:54 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Thanks Charles, I'll keep working on it with center point AF and maybe shrink the box down so I have better luck choosing the front eye to focus on.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

FE55f1.8 is a great lens. I got it for lazy vacation and I hardly miss the AF shots with A7R.

Edited on Nov 30, 2014 at 07:24 PM · View previous versions

Nov 26, 2014 at 01:07 PM
lostinjapan
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

TheEmrys wrote:
Does the Voightlander 50/1.5 need the special close focus adapter m-e adapter?

I have been using the 50 Nokton with a plain M mount adapter and it works great. The only benefit you get with the close focus adapter is the ability to focus closer than 70cm, if I recall correctly.

Ryan

Nov 26, 2014 at 05:57 PM
TheEmrys
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Its the 40/2.8 Heliar that requires the close focus adapter. So weird that it requires it.

Nov 26, 2014 at 08:16 PM
artur5
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Most SLR 50mm. lenses focus down to 0.45mtr. IMHO 0.7 mtr. for that focal length is a bit too much, specially on FF sensors.
WIth a close focus adapter the MFD of the Nokton 50 would be less than 0.4mtr. Some people won't need that extra 'room' but others will appreciate it.

Nov 27, 2014 at 06:02 AM
Greggf
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

Manu...
I too have the Nokton 50 1.5 and love it! As Jack says, it's probably the closest lens to the M50 ASPH...it creates awesome images. Now, I've just rented a ZM sonnar 50 1.5 from Roger(Lensrentals) and while not as sharp across the frame as the Nokton, it has its own signature, and it's very Zeiss like. I've got it for the next week, so I'll be posting pics on the A7 thread if your interested. Check out Ronny's pics with the Sonnar...his shots are pretty incredible, too. I'm using the VM-E adapter with both, and I find I like having the close focus ability. The ZM doesn't focus as close as the Nokton, but I think I like the bokeh of the ZM a little better...time I'll tell
Gregg

Nov 27, 2014 at 01:49 PM
Picture This!
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

thanks Gregg. My nokton 50/1.5 arrived today along with the VM-E adapter. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet. Loved the images Jack and you made with it.

And yes, I'll be watching the Sony A7* thread with interest for the sonnar shots. Based on what I've seen the voigt's color is a bit more to my taste than the sonnar.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:36 PM
craigjohn
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · voigt 50/1.5 nokton OR Zeiss 55/1.8 FE

I just bought a silver Nokton 1.5 - it arrived yesterday afternoon. Damn, this is one BEAUTIFUL lens.

I've had the Leica 50mm Summilux ASPH. 50mm Summicron. Used the Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar and the FE 55/1.5.

This groovy little Nokton seems legit. Build quality is most excellent - much better than what I expected based a few lens reviews.

I've read about people complaining about the weirdly knurled focus ring - it's butter smooth. I actually like/prefer the knurled focus ring - easy to grab and manipulate - I prefer it to the Summilux ASPH focus tab. Also read about people suggesting the focus ring is too tight - mine isn't. It's about as perfectly dampened as I'd want. YMMV. I also prefer the short focus throw.

The aperture clicks into place perfectly with just the right amount of effort. It doesn't seem like it will get bumped out of place - which I felt could happen with both the Leica lenses. The Zeiss Sonnar was better than both Leica lenses in this regard IMO.

I don't know if I'd call the Nokton wildly sharp wide open, but it's damn sharp enough - and I love the character so far.

I much prefer the Nokton rendering to the Zeiss 50/1.5 Sonnar and the 50 Summicron. I'm still on the fence about the 50/Lux. Not sure if the Nokton has the same POP yet. But I do like the fact it's smaller and lighter than the Lux.

I can't wait to put this lens into play to see how it does.

© craigjohn 2016

Sony a7rII + Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton @ f/1.5

Sony a7rII + Voigtlander 50/1.5 Nokton @ f/1.5

Jul 06, 2016 at 09:35 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.