New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Mudge

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

I will apologize for the long post now. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this issue and can offer thoughts or suggestions - I am getting a "cannot read file" message. When I view the images through EOS utility when downloading to the computer instead of an image appearing a large yellow question mark appears in its place. This does not happen for every image. In fact, it is only a few.

I had this problem several months ago and was getting the yellow question mark both while viewing images in EOS utility and when looking in camera. I contacted Canon tech support and they had me reformat the cards and not use a card reader.

Since that time I only tether the camera to the computer and download using EOS utility. When the problem returned about 10 days ago I contacted Canon and they had me send the camera in. I got it back yesterday with the explanation that the "SD card assembly was out of position the memory card could not be recognized." Adjustments were carried out on the SD card pin assembly. Product functions were confirmed." I shot about 15 images today. When I went to download one of the images came up with the yellow question mark. I can still download the image and have it transfer fine to the computer. I untethered the camera. Connected it again and open EOS utility and the yellow question mark was gone the image was there.

I appreciate your thoughts.

seth

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

I assume you are on a version of Windows. The yellow ? mark usually means "Unknown devices" detected however it is showing up in the EOS Utility so I'm not completely sure.

Since it is intermittent it sounds like a possible cable or computer hardware or maybe even a software problem since the camera has been serviced. I would try other things before sending the camera back for service.

Have you tried a different cable? Try a different USB port on the computer. If problem is still there try updating the EOS Utilities software to latest version and if already the latest then uninstall and reinstall. Software download from Canon is here.

If still problem still persists try a different computer.

Nov 24, 2014 at 02:04 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

I know canon tech said not to use a reader , butI would say your better to use a reader in the long run . the problem with cabling the camera to the PC is its too easy to knock the camera and knock the connection out (it doesn't need to fully break connection) . plus the USB port on the camera isn't normally the best fit and is likely to wear quickest .
You could wifi the images over (i think you can do this to canon utility) .

other things to consider.
1. is it the same card thats giving problems ? maybe try a different card . its probably not a good idea to trust a card thats given problems in the past . if you don't want to throw it away then us it for non essential data.

2. have you tried just downloading the images to your PC without using Canon Utilities ? its been a while since I've connected a camera to a pc but i think it comes up as a storage device (its also been a while since I used a windoze PC ) . if not then use a card reader

Nov 24, 2014 at 02:37 AM
Mudge

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I am not using a PC. Using a Macbook pro (about a year old). I haven't used a different cable yet. When I had the problem originally (about 3 months or so ago) I was running Mavericks and did update the EOS software (Canon tech had me do that).

I have used the different USB ports on the computer and it has happened when using both, I am pretty sure. Same problem has happened with two different cards. Each card has been reformatted.

Currently running Yosemite on the Mac, and EOS utility hasn't been updated to run with it. A fix I found was to simply select Mavericks as the operating system and "trick" the computer. But I don't think it is a software issue because I was having the problem before when I was running Yosemite.

I am not sure that it has happened when using the PC at work and downloading images.

Again, thanks.

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:50 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Are the 2 cards the same brand and if so are they also the same size and/or age? It could be a particular manufacture or a batch/lot run problem since you may have had the problem with 2 cards.

Cables seem to always be weak link.

I'm running out of ideas!

Nov 24, 2014 at 09:48 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Your mpb will have a SD slot on it . I'd just use that . Never had an issue with the slot on my iMac (other than it being in the worst place to use )

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM
Mudge

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Photonadave - the cards are different manufacturers. When I talked to Canon tech today, the woman suggested I try a different cable. I'll give it a whirl.

Ian - that might be the best idea to use the sd slot on the computer. Yeah, it is in a horrible place.

Haven't had the problem again. Thanks to both of you.

Nov 24, 2014 at 08:42 PM
Mudge

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

I wanted to resurrect this post because I am continuing to have an issue with the 6D reading the memory card. The problem persisted and I sent the camera back to Canon beginning of January this year. They replaced the circuit board stating that "the circuit board did not operate property the memory card could not be recognized from time to time..." just notice yesterday a couple files (from two different cards, different brands) with the yellow question mark - only when viewing in camera.

Called Canon and was talking with the rep and he asked about the lens on the camera - third party or canon. I noticed that the files this time with the question mark were all shot with my Sigma 24-60 F2.8. I can't remember if any of the files that have had this problem were shot with my canon lens or if it is only happening with the Sigma. Does it sound reasonable that this could be a lens/camera compatibility issue?

Thanks.

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

anything is possible i guess , but I would think that if the camera is taking a shot then that shouldnt be the issue .

problem is it could give canon service the ammo to pass on this and put it down to 3rd party issues rather than fix the problem .
do you have any Canon lenses?

Feb 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM
Mudge

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Cannot Read File message - Yellow Question mark- 6D issue

Ian, I do have a Canon lens and am not sure if I have had the problem with that lens. None of the images with the yellow question mark currently on either card were taken with the canon lens. Not sure about in the past though.

Feb 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.