New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Spectro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Everyone has a reason for going to a specific brand and model of mirrorless camera. I keep my sports/event equipment separate from my personal gear which was a Nikon D700 and 24-120 lens. However when travelling or going out I just didn't take it out as much as I should have mainly due to size/weight.

Since going digital in 2004 I always said if Nikon would bring out a digital version of the FM2 in terms of size/weight and feel I would be at the front of the line. My first SLR in 1980 was a Nikon FE2 and that body style is still my favourite as far as ergonomics. I still have and occasionally use a Nikon FM2. I handled the DF and was very disappointed from this perspective.

However when Fuji came out with the X-T1 and I handled it for the first time I knew I would have one if for no other reason than it just felt right when I picked it up was the closest "feel" to the FM2. I'm still learning the camera but am pleased to have that feel again only in a digital camera. The D700 and 24-120 have been sold and for personal use I have a new favourite. The pro gear is still used daily but for travel and carrying around this ticks all the boxes for me.

Nov 23, 2014 at 01:22 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Same here. I've always loved the FE-2 and the X-T1 is the much sought after digital FE-2 for me.

Nov 23, 2014 at 02:40 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

I liked the contax rts
Very close copy, down to the selectors under the top dials.

http://rlfc.world.coocan.jp/PlaywBody/ContaxSLR/RTSIII/RTSIII_2.jpg

http://inspire-ipcmedia-com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2014/03/Fuji_X_T1_front.jpg

Edited on Nov 23, 2014 at 07:06 PM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2014 at 03:36 PM
Ian Boys
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Interesting - haven't seen that comparison before. But I think the Contax was bigger/heavier.

Nov 23, 2014 at 03:57 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Contax RTS III:

Dimensions & Weight: 156(W) x 121(H) x 66(D)mm (6-3/16 x 4-13/16 x 2/58 in.) 1,150g (2.53 lbs.) without batteries

Fuji X-T1:

Dimensions 129 x 90 x 47 mm (5.08 x 3.54 x 1.84″
Weight (inc. batteries) 440 g (0.97 lb / 15.52 oz)

A bit bigger, much heavier. Probably due vacuum back and lots of tech around. Still, very nice film SLR. Otherwise yea, inspiration is more than obvious..

I would prefer RTS III and high-end scanner.

Nov 23, 2014 at 04:29 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Yeah me too, if I had a lot of free time. But I kind of burned out scanveloping until midnight after work, and the fuji was a good enough alternative for me.

Most people shoot film for the resulting image, I was shooting film mostly for the cameras. When they finally made something that had the functions and controls of a good film camera (like that RTS) I was ready to migrate 100% to digital.

Nov 23, 2014 at 07:11 PM
ggweci
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Spyro P. wrote:

I liked the contax rts
Very close copy, down to the selectors under the top dials.

http://rlfc.world.coocan.jp/PlaywBody/ContaxSLR/RTSIII/RTSIII_2.jpg

http://inspire-ipcmedia-com.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/inspirewp/live/wp-content/uploads/sites/12/2014/03/Fuji_X_T1_front.jpg

Wow, the similarity is striking. I had never seen that comparison either. Both are beautiful cameras.

Nov 23, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

And if they were looking for a classic SLR to copy, I cant complain about their decision to pick a Contax

Now, with Nikon on the other hand...

http://theartofphotography.tv/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Nikon-Df-kit-silver-300x266.jpg
http://www.glyn.dk/blog/uploaded_images/MTL5B-778603.jpg

Nov 23, 2014 at 10:11 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Spyro P. wrote:
Yeah me too, if I had a lot of free time. But I kind of burned out scanveloping until midnight after work, and the fuji was a good enough alternative for me.

Most people shoot film for the resulting image, I was shooting film mostly for the cameras. When they finally made something that had the functions and controls of a good film camera (like that RTS) I was ready to migrate 100% to digital.

I shoot film for the IQ as well as the cameras. Film cameras (mostly) are incredibly cheap now. I ended up buying brand new film cameras that were pricy, but I keep getting very tempted by the Mamiya 7. Such wonderful pieces of equipment.

And I have been more than a bit tempted by the Contax RTS III or S2B. Just gorgeous pieces of gear with a lens system second to none.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:31 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

I used to own a 7, and a 6. It was part of the process of me realising that I'm a 3:2 ratio fanatic
It must be a subconscious thing, nearly all my photographic heroes were shooting small format 3:2 (magnum/street photographers, NG photojournalists etc).

But yeah for a portable and discreet uber-detail machine you just cant beat the mamiya RFs. I got sucked into it because of Trent Parke who did some awesome work with it, until I realised that the guy could shoot his mobile phone and I'd still love the results.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:46 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Spyro P. wrote:
I used to own a 7, and a 6. It was part of the process of me realising that I'm a 3:2 ratio fanatic
It must be a subconscious thing, nearly all my photographic heroes were shooting small format 3:2 (magnum/street photographers, NG photojournalists etc).

But yeah for a portable and discreet uber-detail machine you just cant beat the mamiya RFs. I got sucked into it because of Trent Parke who did some awesome work with it, until I realised that the guy could shoot his mobile phone and I'd still love the results.

I have a pair of Fujifilm 6 x 7 rangefinders and I find this film format very very strange. However, this is what my cameras shoot so I have to learn how to live with it. In a perfect world I'd have my images come out 3:2. I guess I can get my fix with my Fuji 6 x 4.5 rangefinder. I need to shoot that a bit more!

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

maybe switch to a GW690? it is essentially 3:2 on steroids

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:02 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Why I chose the Fuji X-T1

Spyro P. wrote:
maybe switch to a GW690? it is essentially 3:2 on steroids

Ha! That's my original Fujifilm camera. Actually it was the GSW690. Great camera, but not super travel friendly. I may end up with one of those later on when I return to the US and have a car. For now my GF670 and GF670W fit the fill nicely. I'm learning to live with the 6 x 7 format.

Nov 24, 2014 at 01:14 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.