FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Back in Black Series

Dalantech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Back in Black Series

I usually try not to take images with black backgrounds, but there just wasn't enough natural light to expose the background in this Honeybee and Banded Eye Drone Hoverfly shot.

Tech Specs: Canon 70D (F14, 1/250, ISO 400) + a Canon EF-S 60mm macro lens with a 14mm extension tube (~1.4x) + a diffused MT-24EX. This is a single, uncropped, frame taken hand held.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM
e6filmuser
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Back in Black Series

Great detail in the first, with full antennal segmentation but I'm a sucker for those banded eyes every time.

Harold

Nov 22, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Back in Black Series

e6filmuser wrote:
... I'm a sucker for those banded eyes every time.

Ditto.

Nov 22, 2014 at 05:16 PM
jongatmosfera

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Back in Black Series

Still awesome in spite of the black background. Come to think of it, black offers a nice contrast to your yellow subjects.

Are you using honey or corn syrup? I remember reading a comment in your blog about the potential harmful effects of feeding bees with honey from other bees.

Nov 22, 2014 at 06:47 PM
birdied
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Back in Black Series

Fantastic. Those banded eyes are truly amazing.

Birdie

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:05 PM
philshoots
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Back in Black Series

Yup, those eyes are the business! Great stuff.

Phil

Nov 23, 2014 at 04:42 AM
Dalantech
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Back in Black Series

Thanks folks

jongatmosfera wrote:
Are you using honey or corn syrup? I remember reading a comment in your blog about the potential harmful effects of feeding bees with honey from other bees.

I'm using honey from a beekeeper that I personally know, and I know that his bees are disease free (they don't even have Veroa Mites). I've been told, by multiply beekeepers, that the quantity of honey that I use shouldn't be a problem anyway. I could also make the argument that corn syrup doesn't have the anti-bacterial properties that honey does, and that honey is better for them than raw sugar. Probably need to either update that blog post or make a new one.

Nov 23, 2014 at 07:15 AM

FM Forums | Macro & Still Life | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.