Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Suggestions for a new body...

Mongrel
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions for a new body...

This is one of those-"I'm pretty sure I should get a ......" questions, but experienced input would be appreciated.

What I want to shoot (all at the HS level with the associated typically 'poor' lighting):

Indoor concert band and choral groups.
Theatrical events (plays/dance)
Marching band (nighttime-field lighting)

What I have bodies (don't laugh too hard-lol):

Canon SLI, 20D, 1D

(I've ruled out the 20D/1D because of high ISO noise, but the little SL1 is actually not that bad in this department, it just lacks in other areas like buffer).

What I have lenses:

28 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.8, 135 2.0, 200 2.8, 300 4.0, Sigma 120-300 2.8 (the "old" one). My zooms aren't really worth mentioning, but I'm not opposed to considering one.

Also have 580EX and 420EX Speedlites.

So...I'm thinking "DUH!-get a 6D..." But maybe not?

Budget-let's keep it under $2000 please. Not opposed to used/refurb or other brands (Sony anyone?). 5D MkIII would be nice but unattainable at this time, let alone a 1Dx!

Input appreciated, and thanks in advance.

Edited on Nov 21, 2014 at 07:21 PM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:12 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions for a new body...

6D.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:14 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions for a new body...

I have a nice 7d on the buy/sell for $535, but if that doesn't appeal to you I'd probably suggest a 6d.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:19 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions for a new body...

6D. For faster action or for off center focusing a 5D3 would be nice, but probably out of budget. The centerpoint on the 6D is really great for AF in dark environments and the high ISO ability is a smidge better than the 5D3.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:21 PM
Mongrel
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions for a new body...

Jim-thanks, that makes it easy!

John-appreciate the offer. I'll have to look at some 1600+ISO shots with the 7D. Not sure how the 7D would compare to the 5D in that regard, but they seem to be going for around the same amount.

I was asked to shoot a marching band on the last event of the year for them. I took the SL1 and used my 200 f/2.8L. I was pretty impressed by the focusing and the noise characteristics. I didn't push it beyond 1600 though. Unfortunately the SL1 has like a 2 shot buffer when shooting RAW/JPEG combined. I could have just shot RAW but I'm not set up for batch processing and figured I would have the SOOC JPEGs to get to the band director while I bought some time working on the RAW files. This was all as a favor so forgive my "unprofessionalism" lol.

My main problem is being out of things for so long I'm having to re-learn a few things.

From what I've heard, pound for pound and dollar for dollar it's hard to beat the 6D for this type of shooting...

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:29 PM
Spikey131
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions for a new body...

Easy.

6D.

You. Will. Be. Amazed.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:52 PM
jrscls
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions for a new body...

+1 on the 6D. This will work nicely for the OP's intended use.

Nov 21, 2014 at 08:14 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions for a new body...

Mongrel wrote:
Canon SLI

28 1.8, 85 1.8, 100 2.8, 135 2.0, 200 2.8, 300 4.0, Sigma 120-300 2.8 (the "old" one). My zooms aren't really worth mentioning, but I'm not opposed to considering one.

Also have 580EX and 420EX Speedlites.

The SL1 is actually a fine little camera. If it is producing good results for you, you might want to keep it. (Even if you get the full frame body, I'd hang onto the SL1 since there are times when the smaller body and/or a second body could be useful... especially when you are relying on primes so much.)

As for full frame, you haven't mentioned anything problems that would rule on the 6D.

Nov 21, 2014 at 08:19 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.