too big for my macair

Okay. Edited.

Edited on Nov 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM · View previous versions

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:42 AM
Vataga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Head shot

A bit too big for my 20" monitor... Its not comfortable to be honest.
I think it would be better to post photos not more than 1100px or 1200px on the long end.

Nov 22, 2014 at 03:00 PM
TJ Asher
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Head shot

It's hard to comment without knowing the purpose of the photo and your experience level. Is this an actor head shot? A corporate head shot? Do you do a lot of these or is this one of the first?

That said, I'll throw out some comments based on what I like to see in a head shot.

The focus looks to be spot on. Nicely done there. The DOF is handled well also.

I also like the "look" he is giving the camera, confident and slightly amused.

I think the light over the subject's left shoulder is a bit too strong. It looks to be as bright as the main light and I think if it were half as bright it would provide shape and detail on the shadow size of the subject without overpowering the main light. I think either a flag or a grid or moving the light a bit would help a bit as well. The light is falling on both shoulders and I think it would be better just hitting the one side.

The background looks to be a curtain. I'd like to see just a bit more light on it to show he's not floating in space. It would help anchor him.

The shadows on the face are a bit deep. A reflector (white foam board or sheet or paper) on the subject's left side in front of the subject can help fill in shadows a bit.

The shot looks like it's in landscape orientation (longer on the horizontal axis). Head shots are normally done in "portrait" orientation or longer on the vertical axis.

If you could resize and repost the photo so it was a little smaller you may get a few more comments.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers!
TJ

Nov 23, 2014 at 09:29 AM
cantwellian
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Head shot

TJ - Thanks for the notes! I resized the image in the original post, so hopefully that will work better for everyone.

To address some of your questions/comments, this shot is a bit non-standard for this forum, I suppose, in that it is not the final delivery format. The shot is intended to be used in an After Effects composition for tv broadcast, (the subject is the host of a show) which is why I went with the landscape orientation and basic black background. The background is going away anyway, so the less intrusive it is, the better. Also, the slightly harsher backlight is intended to make the key a bit easier, and to add contrast to the finished composition (my editor tends to make things dramatic, I just help him along), although I do agree with your point that the shadows on his face could use a bit of softening. Thank you!

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.