Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Ceremony Lighting

joshua grasso
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Ceremony Lighting

Ive got a wedding tomorrow night outside and Im expecting it to be very dark. The bride was really worried and so gave me permission to light the ceremony. Ive never lit a ceremony before and was wondering who has experience with this. I was thinking of possible having kind of a crosslight set up. I wanted to have the lights far enough to the side that they weren't flashing into peoples eyes. One off to the left and behind the altar area as a backlight/ one to the rear /right of the seating area as fill. I have 10ft stands and a 12 foot stand. Im worried they might not be tall enough for avoiding shadows.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:33 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Ceremony Lighting

Hmm.. can you go there tonight and check it out?

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Ceremony Lighting

yeah I could probably go do that and see how dark the ambient actually is. I was thinking maybe putting up a video light on a stand instead as like a spotlight to avoid the flashes going off and giving me just enough of a boost to make them look good.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:54 AM
dgleason
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Ceremony Lighting

So I've never had to actually light a ceremony outside in the dark, so others here probably have better advice.. But, if it were me, I'd probably either have my assistant on a light stick with a flash bender.. or, cross light the altar at a 45 degree angle.. I wouldn't mess with a backlight for the entire ceremony.. maybe a shot or two.. Video light could be a good idea. I'd have it set up and turned on before hand if I could, so that you don't have to turn it on and shock everyone during the ceremony.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Ceremony Lighting

Yeah I suppose two lights on the altar instead of the backlight would simplify and also make it so flashes arent pointing towards the guests.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Ceremony Lighting

Had the idea of using actual lighting for the ceremony ever come up? Because that's a far better option than using off-camera flashes during a ceremony, I think. And should yield better quality light if done well.

Example:

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:38 AM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Ceremony Lighting

Yeah I asked if they had thought of putting up lights like those. They said they were going to put up xmas lights on bushes and things so I don't know how much light I will get. Definately looks good in your photo.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:48 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Ceremony Lighting

Christmas lights aren't going to help anything, they would need substantial lighting done by professionals. It's worth pushing them to do that, I had this couple pictured above add that lighting the week before the wedding. They told me several times that it was okay if the ceremony pictures weren't great, bla bla, and then I explained to them that it was going to be *pitch black* unless we did something about it and that I could use flashes but it would be annoying, it would also be very difficult to even focus (let alone see their expressions etc. and when to shoot), where they could instead make it something unique and beautiful.

Obviously you can see what they decided to do.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:00 PM
MazeRunner
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Ceremony Lighting

If you just want to light the faces of the bridal party + people walking up, an assistant with a speedlight + battery pack on boom at 45 (heard this is what Susan Stripling does sometimes) can light them as they're walking up the aisle. But that means flashing.

And Christmas lights can be colorful...

Is it too late to get those incandescent or white bulbs strung up? Would have to hurry though, since the venue might have to verify that its doable and not a fire or safety hazard.

Any videographer with LED lights?

Let us know what happens! Good luck!

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Tony Hoffer
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Ceremony Lighting

We rarely do it, but we lit up a ceremony a few weeks back. It's a venue we shoot at a decent amount. Ambient is like ISO 6400, 1/100, 2.0

So we shot it at like 3200, 1/200, 2.0 and used two lights up front to create rim lights...

Here's the full wedding post: http://hofferphotography.com/2014/10/15/kelley-kevin-at-the-cork-factory/

Here's two samples:
http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Fagan-Cork-Factory-Wedding-Photographer-023.jpg
http://hofferphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Fagan-Cork-Factory-Wedding-Photographer-024.jpg

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:45 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Ceremony Lighting

tony that set up looks good. Thats kinda the look I was thinking of going for. Just enough to boost the couple. Ill be lucky if ambient will be 6400

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:22 PM
BSPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Ceremony Lighting

I'll be watching this thread because the responses so far have been great and I've been in situations that definitely would have benefited from added lighting. People think that a sunset wedding outdoors is a brilliant idea and they google the times that the sun sets, not thinking about how dark it will be right after that, or about the effect of hills, buildings, trees, clouds, etc. I wonder about strobes with modeling lights (if AC power is available). The modeling lights could create a mood/atmosphere for the wedding itself while also helping you achieve focus. I completely agree that getting int he space at the same time is going to be key. I'd bring your whole arsenal and a few bodies to stand in place, too!

Again, looking forward to finding out how this works for you.

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Ceremony Lighting

I recently had to light a ceremony as well. The couple was completely alright with it as it was very dark. I did a cross light setup similar to what others have said:

http://www.joshjonesphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/20141031_halloween_night_wedding_photos_0408.jpg

http://www.joshjonesphoto.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/20141031_halloween_night_wedding_photos_0362.jpg

More photos: http://www.joshjonesphoto.com/hollywood-halloween-wedding-at-zen/

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:12 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Ceremony Lighting

Josh Jones wrote:
I did a cross light setup similar to what others have said:

Nice job on the entire wedding! For the ceremony it looks like you deliberately choose to go with shorter light stands?

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:24 PM
Josh Jones
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Ceremony Lighting

MRomine wrote:
Nice job on the entire wedding! For the ceremony it looks like you deliberately choose to go with shorter light stands?

Thanks! So I had a short one (5') on the left, and a taller one (10') on the right with a 2x2' softbox on it. I hid it behind the guests for that one wide shot.

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:33 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Ceremony Lighting

looks great josh..Thanks

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:56 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Ceremony Lighting

Tony Hoffer wrote:
We rarely do it, but we lit up a ceremony a few weeks back. It's a venue we shoot at a decent amount. Ambient is like ISO 6400, 1/100, 2.0

So we shot it at like 3200, 1/200, 2.0 and used two lights up front to create rim lights...

Here's the full wedding post: http://hofferphotography.com/2014/10/15/kelley-kevin-at-the-cork-factory/

Where were the lights placed for the ceremony? My fear in doing a lighting set up such as this is going from being on noticed two noticed. Did you find yourself shooting less photos during the ceremony because of the flash?

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:50 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Ceremony Lighting

I do basically the same as Tony; only when absolutely necessary... which is about once every 2/3 years. Gotta say I'm a little shocked you're not prepared for something like this. You need to be ready for anything. Was this not discussed in advance? Did you not discuss the time of day and light availability in advance? Waiting till the last day is not very professional. Just sayin'.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:56 PM
joshua grasso
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Ceremony Lighting

amonline wrote:
I do basically the same as Tony; only when absolutely necessary... which is about once every 2/3 years. Gotta say I'm a little shocked you're not prepared for something like this. You need to be ready for anything. Was this not discussed in advance? Did you not discuss the time of day and light availability in advance? Waiting till the last day is not very professional. Just sayin'.

Yeah Discussed it at booking. I have had a plan since then. Just thought Id bounce it off some other pros. My plan was similar to the light setups here. I'm not asking to learn everything about flash the day before. I use light all the time just never have at a ceremony.

Nov 22, 2014 at 08:45 AM
wender

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Ceremony Lighting

The same light setup for Tony and Josh, it seems Tony has them more towards the couple than Josh. At what angle from the subjects do you get the best results?

Nov 24, 2014 at 06:27 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.