New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Price guideline for sending file to print

Sirfishalot
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Price guideline for sending file to print

I have some photo art images that people have expressed interest in purchasing. One potential customer is asking if a particular image can be sent to their local service to be printed on canvas. How would you price/license something like this?
Besides factoring the cost of doing business and extra time for post processing, died the size of final output also need to be considered? Thanks for the advice.

JayT

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:12 AM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Price guideline for sending file to print

The image should be sharpened to suit the final output media and size. That said, prints for canvas can get away with less sharpening than those for glossy paper.

I would not send a file to a customer for printing. I'd be willing to eat the shipping cost in order to have it printed locally (to me) so I retain control of the product, and the file.

<Chas>

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:52 PM
FLSTCSAM
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Price guideline for sending file to print

Jay,

Since your selling your images at cost or below off your website why worry about anything? Might as well give the files away. It's not like you will be loosing any money.

I had a look at your website and you have some nice images. I can see why someone would like to purchase one for there home.

But seriously.............you should think about charging more than cost.

And no I would not send my file to some unknown far away local printer.

If your worried about shipping cost sell them an unmounted canvas and ship it in a tube.

Sam

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
Sirfishalot
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Price guideline for sending file to print

Thanks Chas,
That's a great suggestion tha I take of.
Sam,
Appreciate the feedback and I fixed it on my site since I'm not really trying to sell from there.

JayT

Nov 23, 2014 at 04:50 AM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Price guideline for sending file to print

I typically only sell people prints so I know what the final quality will be. there are many print places especially on canvas that are very subpar just to save people a few bucks. So I go through my lab that I've been with for over 20 years for most items. On the rare occasion that a client wants a file for something that I cant provide, I typically charge $20 for a onetime usage fee. I would explain to the person that you want to go through you normal lab so you know the quality will be up to your standards and if they don't want to pay for the difference, they don't value the look of a piece that's going to be on their wall for many years.

Nov 23, 2014 at 06:12 AM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.