FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Legalities of Destination Wedding Photography

beachbumphoto

[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Legalities of Destination Wedding Photography

Hello Everyone,

I am wondering how destination wedding photographers work around the legalities of working/generating revenue in a foreign country?

I am an Expat legally working and living in Indonesia.

In order for me to accept or conduct any sort of work in Indonesia I require several documents.

These documents include the KITAS (Permit to Stay in the Country), IMTA (Work Work Permit) and SKLD (Registration and approval with Local and Immigration Police in region where I plan to work).

Without these documents and approvals it is simply illegal to conduct business or generate revenue for myself or my business as a result of activities inside Indonesia.

A Business VISA does exist, however this allows a person do attend conferences or act as a consultant to an local firm for up to 60 days.

The penalties for breaking these rules are harsh and include jail time, fines, immediate expulsion, equipment and tool confiscation, and being permanently black listed from entering the country.

I have a friend who has been black listed. It is very very difficult and almost impossible to remove yourself from an immigration black list.

I do see a few foreign wedding photographers working in Indonesia from time to time, and to be honest there is a ton of work so it does not bother me.

I sometimes see Immigration Police patrolling popular areas and question people and conducting document checks.

My question is do photographers simply enter the country on a Visa On Arrival, conduct the work and risk the consequences?

Or do photographers obtain the required permits and documents?

Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Edited on Nov 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2014 at 09:35 AM
Littleguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Legalities of Destination Wedding Photography

Every country is different - there is no catch all answer.

But I would look at another industry that has similar issues. Teaching english in foreign countries.

http://www.internationalteflacademy.com/faq/bid/111797/What-Is-Teaching-English-Abroad-Under-the-Table-Without-a-Work-Visa

There is 1 key difference - destination photographers are usually only in the country for a few days or a week or 2. People teaching english in foreign countries usually live in the country months or years at a time.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:32 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Legalities of Destination Wedding Photography

Most photogs I know who attend destination weddings (that would be four of them, so its a small sample) do not bother with the paperwork and outright lie to customs when asked why they are there. I have never done a wedding outside of Canada so can't help you personally.

Though I'd be very concerned about doing this in countries like Indonesia which isn't exactly a haven for human rights and human dignity. Indonesia, China, Russia, even Italy, those kind of countries, if I did have to work there, I'd make sure all the paperwork is in order.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:06 AM
beachbumphoto

[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Legalities of Destination Wedding Photography

FrancisK7 wrote:
Most photogs I know who attend destination weddings (that would be four of them, so its a small sample) do not bother with the paperwork and outright lie to customs when asked why they are there. I have never done a wedding outside of Canada so can't help you personally.

Hi Francis K, thanks for the reply. The fact that this happens (people lie to customs officials) is absolutely scary and somewhat insane as photographers are putting themselves, their business, their reputation, current/future clients and equipment/gear at risk.

I have friends who are photographers here in Indonesia who sometimes shot in Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand or Vietnam and I'm not sure how they legally get around the immigration limitations and regulations.

A friend of mine became blacklisted in Indonesia because he showed up at customs and was selected for a random search. The customs agents became suspicious due to the large amount of pro camera gear he had with him. They simply googled his name and found out he was a professional photographer with a portfolio of destination work including a previous wedding in Indonesia. After further interrogation he admitted he was entering the country to photograph a wedding of a foreign couple who had hired him at their home country.

Because he admitted to conducting work without the required permits, immigration would not allow him to enter the country and held him for 12 hours and sent him to Singapore on the next available flight which he had to pay for. Furthermore, he then had to make his way to his home country paying for a full rate last minute ticket which was not cheap.

He was lucky they did not confiscate his gear and/or fine him. Unfortunately he now cannot return to Indonesia.

I have made some great friends with people who came to Indonesia for shot video for BBC, National Geographic and Channel 4 in the UK. It took them between 6 to 12 months to acquire the necessary permits to legally work and conduct business in Indonesia. They followed the correct and proper procedures. Their employers who are large media companies seem to not mess around with these type of issues, the associated consequences and liabilities.

I have always wondered how people claim to be destination wedding photographers and are able to conduct work overseas. I know that to conduct business and work in most nations requires a proper VISA or work permit which cannot be obtained on arrival such as a VOA (Visa on Arrival for tourist purposes).

Destination work interests me, but I would rather conduct business legally. In my previous careers I have travelled all over the world, sometimes only being home for a few weeks at a time and away for the majority of a year. When it comes to work I would rather finish the day at my own home and sleep in my own bed.

I personally am married to an Indonesian. This being said, the process of acquiring the permits and paperwork even being married to a local took time and was extremely painful. After acquiring a KITAS (Permit to stay in country), I could not receive the IMTA (Work Permit) for a additional 2 years. I was lucky and was sponsored by an Indonesian company and was able to work in an unrelated industry until the 2 year period passed. Only after this 2 year waiting period was I able to setup my own business and legally work for myself.

The amount of red tape, corruption and other bureaucratic problems in non-developed nations such as my home country is mind blowing and unbelievable.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:37 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.