New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

rondphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

I haven't used this lens regularly in the past 12+ months so I can't say for certain when this issue started. I've been trying to use this lens more and I've noticed that it's been severely back focusing. When I focus then recompose, either manually or automatically, the photo is back focused 60% of the time.

Now, I noticed today that it sounds like something is loose in the lens. The rear element feels loose as well so maybe this is the issue?

EDIT: just read online that others have experienced a rattling and lose element as well

Lens is 2-3 years old and I'm the only owner. I can say that I'm 100% sure I've never dropped it or bumped a wall with it as I've been using this lens so little, I would know if that happened. Question is....do I sent it in for repair? Has anyone ever experienced an issue like this? What did the repair cost? Weighing sending it in versus filling an insurance claim.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM
cambyses
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

Haven't had any issues with ours yet, though it is one of our less used lenses.

If yours is only 2-3 years old, and assuming it is a US version and not Grey Import, it should still be under Nikon's Extended Warranty. So why don't you just send it for repair under warranty?

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:08 AM
subidiom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

Agree you should send it in if the performance has degraded. The 50 1.4G is a simple unit focus design, so there could be something amiss with the motor, or other mechanics. If you can manually focus a sharp image, the optics are probably ok.

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:50 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

Any costs associated with sending it in? It is USA and it is 2-3 years old.

I just don't want to send it in and Nikon tell me that whatever is needed won't be covered by a warranty.

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:17 PM
cambyses
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

rondphoto wrote:
Any costs associated with sending it in? It is USA and it is 2-3 years old.

I just don't want to send it in and Nikon tell me that whatever is needed won't be covered by a warranty.

Well, I don't think you can be sure about that. They may well say it is "impact damage" and not covered. But they may also just fix it under warranty. In any case, they will let you know any cost associated with the repair before they actually do the repair and you will have a chance to approve or deny. Of course, you will still be paying shipping charges.

As for the possible cost, I can only guess that it would be less than $200. The only reason I say that is once I took my 50 f/1.4D, and they found so many issues with it that I didn't even know ("Impact Damage - Aperture Dent - Rear Ring Crack - Focus needs G2, G3 Lens Housing"), and they quoted me $199, which of course I denied and decided to just sell the lens at a bargain price (while fully disclosing Nikon feedback).

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:44 PM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

Cool thanks for the heads up. I guess in any case paying Nikon would be cheaper than the deductible or buying a new lens.

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:53 PM
sonofjesse2010
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

If its going to be too much to fix I would be tempted to get the 1.8 it was sharper than my 1.4 at 1.8. But I bet they will fix it under warranty is my guess

Dec 03, 2014 at 07:42 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Issue with 50mm 1.4G

rondphoto wrote:
I haven't used this lens regularly in the past 12+ months so I can't say for certain when this issue started. I've been trying to use this lens more and I've noticed that it's been severely back focusing. When I focus then recompose, either manually or automatically, the photo is back focused 60% of the time.

Now, I noticed today that it sounds like something is loose in the lens. The rear element feels loose as well so maybe this is the issue?

EDIT: just read online that others have experienced a rattling and lose element as well

Lens is 2-3 years
...Show more

I can't know for sure what your rattle sounds like, or how severe it is, but all of my Nikkors seem to rattle a little bit. I have a brand new 58 on my desk, seems like a good copy so far, but it rattled straight out of the box.

Dec 03, 2014 at 08:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.