New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Blessing of Light

beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Blessing of Light

Going for a moodier surrounding while highlighting the gravestone sculpture which happened to be getting almost all of the direct light in the area.

All feedback welcome!

Thanks,

Jeff

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:58 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Blessing of Light

Diggin' the capture and vibe.

Seems a tad blown, wondering @ exposure (light kickin hard off the marble) or pushed a bit in pp? Threw some multiply @ it, but it didn't do much for the blown parts ... although it changes the vibe some to go with the mono.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:09 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Blessing of Light

RustyBug wrote:
Diggin' the capture and vibe.

Seems a tad blown, wondering @ exposure of pushed a bit in pp? Threw some multiply @ it, but it didn't do much for the blown parts ... although it changes the vibe some to go with the mono.

Thanks Kent!

Figure's highlights were popping a bit SOOC - highlights were reduced and then processed in Silver Efex.

No exposure pushing.

I'm okay with it running hot here - I've got enough detail and the extra emphasis works for the image IMO.

Cheers!

Jeff

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Blessing of Light

+1 @ this one can handle it with a bit of a graphic aspect. Just was hoping we might get a bit more texture reveal (although, the message of the image still comes through loud & clear without it).

Much to like here, and it even works in the "dreaded" centered position. Just goes to show that not everything needs to be ROT.

Edited on Nov 21, 2014 at 12:22 AM · View previous versions

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:18 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Blessing of Light

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ this one can handle it with a bit of a graphic aspect. Just was hoping we might get a bit more texture reveal.

Next time I'll check to make sure my highlights aren't blown before moving on.

But I'm liking how it turned out.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:20 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Blessing of Light

beavens wrote:
Next time I'll check to make sure my highlights aren't blown before moving on.

You're in good company.
I keep telling myself that, too ... and yet, I still get caught up in the moment sometimes and well, you know how that goes when emotion overrides logic.

+1 @ much to like at how it turned out.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:27 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Blessing of Light

I like the original. I like the way I can read the inscriptions on the monument and the way the other headstones are lit. It might be just a tad blue, but moonlight is blue. The blown out aspect does not bother here.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:56 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Blessing of Light

RustyBug wrote:
You're in good company.
I keep telling myself that, too ... and yet, I still get caught up in the moment sometimes and well, you know how that goes when emotion overrides logic.

+1 @ much to like at how it turned out.

I hate peeking at the LCD a lot, but I really should stop and do some basic checking - especially in scenes like this where one section is getting much more light than others.

---------------------------------------------

ben egbert wrote:
I like the original. I like the way I can read the inscriptions on the monument and the way the other headstones are lit. It might be just a tad blue, but moonlight is blue. The blown out aspect does not bother here.

Thanks Ben! I felt the cyanotype tone helped things pop more and added to the mood.

Jeff

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:27 PM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Blessing of Light

ben egbert wrote:

+1 You may try darking the background areas a bit to bring more hight light to the statue.

Nov 24, 2014 at 04:35 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Blessing of Light

A centered composition isn't a bad choice for this one, but did you consider a more conventional composition?

Nov 24, 2014 at 05:26 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Blessing of Light

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
+1 You may try darking the background areas a bit to bring more hight light to the statue.

Good call - I brought the background down a bit and I think the statue pops more now. Check out the rework below.

---------------------------------------------

AuntiPode wrote:
A centered composition isn't a bad choice for this one, but did you consider a more conventional composition?

Karen, your crop works rather nicely as well! I feel the centered comp feels more natural IMO.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Jeff

Nov 27, 2014 at 10:29 AM
Wildcats_Fans
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Blessing of Light

I like this new version. Good job.

Dec 05, 2014 at 01:44 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Blessing of Light

Wildcats_Fans wrote:
I like this new version. Good job.

Thanks Wildcats - your suggestion definitely helped!

Dec 05, 2014 at 01:45 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.