Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

Sjjindra
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

I set my new 7DII up to micro adjust (MA) autofocus to my lenses using the Dot-Tune method. Problem is, after setting critical focus and turning off focus on the lens, the camera recognizes when set to manual focus and will not try to AF or provide dot confirmation. Am I doing something wrong or is there a work-around, because I really like the Dot-Tune MA method? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Steve

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:53 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

I Dot Tuned a lens today. Ended up at +7. The final MA adjustment was +5 via trial and error. If it is not working, just take a bunch of images at different settings and compare them. That is what I did.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

Worked fine for mine and 7 lenses,

Jo

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

I've not given up. I was able to Dot-Tune the 150mm end of the Tamron 150-600. The 600mm is is giving a problem. I can usually see the dot when I first push the shutter button half way the first time, but nothing on additional pushes unless I cycle the menu button twice.
Hopefully it is just me or maybe this lens combo.
Thanks
Steve

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:09 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

Sjjindra wrote:
I set my new 7DII up to micro adjust (MA) autofocus to my lenses using the Dot-Tune method. Problem is, after setting critical focus and turning off focus on the lens, the camera recognizes when set to manual focus and will not try to AF or provide dot confirmation. Am I doing something wrong or is there a work-around, because I really like the Dot-Tune MA method? Anyone else having this problem?

Thanks
Steve

It could be that the 0 point is not in the focus zone. TRy +10, +20, -10, -20. You should find some that are in focus and then refine to get the range. If either -20 or +20 is in the range you have to estimate where the center is. On telephoto lenses the range seemed to be 16 to 20 point wide.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:23 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
It could be that the 0 point is not in the focus zone. TRy +10, +20, -10, -20. You should find some that are in focus and then refine to get the range. If either -20 or +20 is in the range you have to estimate where the center is. On telephoto lenses the range seemed to be 16 to 20 point wide.

Yep. That was it. I started at 0, -5, and +5 with no focus. The range was +6 to +20+. I ended up with a +14 MA. So it is looking like there is not a problem with the 7DII and Dot Tune. Great, because I love this method.
Thanks
Steve

Nov 21, 2014 at 03:08 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

Even though Canon recommends a distance of 50x focal length, others have said minimum focus distance is fine. Any thoughts? Also, when you Dot Tune, is the value Dot Tune selects always the value you go with? Although I was not using Dot Tune, my focus was very sharp with a test chart but shooting stationary objects around the yard the focus accuracy was not good. Very frustrating.

Jo Dilbeck wrote:
Worked fine for mine and 7 lenses,

Jo

Nov 21, 2014 at 03:23 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

ahender wrote:
Even though Canon recommends a distance of 50x focal length, others have said minimum focus distance is fine. Any thoughts? Also, when you Dot Tune, is the value Dot Tune selects always the value you go with? Although I was not using Dot Tune, my focus was very sharp with a test chart but shooting stationary objects around the yard the focus accuracy was not good. Very frustrating.

If you shoot a particular lens at a certain focal length then that is probably idea distance for using dot tune. On longer telephotos (something like 200mm+) Focal recommends 25x. I do wonder if min focus distances might not be as representative as other distances though. Be great to see if anyone has compared min versus 50x on certain lenses.

Nov 21, 2014 at 04:28 PM
ahender
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

SeattleBirdMan wrote:
If you shoot a particular lens at a certain focal length then that is probably idea distance for using dot tune. On longer telephotos (something like 200mm+) Focal recommends 25x. I do wonder if min focus distances might not be as representative as other distances though. Be great to see if anyone has compared min versus 50x on certain lenses.

Thanks. I think I am going to declare my zoom adjusted. Set up the chart and took two images wide and zoom at MFD and they are as good as it is going to get. I'll shoot my first soccer game tomorrow morning.

Nov 21, 2014 at 04:43 PM
Sjjindra
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Is 7D II Compatible with Dot Tune MA?

ahender wrote:

The Dot Tune method is great, not only because it is simple to do (other than when you get a little lost like I did), but also because it helps you set your MA'd focus in the middle of your debth of field, allowing for a little more slop to either side and still hitting focus of your subject.

Steve

Nov 21, 2014 at 05:17 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.