FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Reflections b&w

Tim Knutson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Reflections b&w

Its been a while since I posted something, so I'm sitting here thinking, "the shot is on the flash drive, and the flash drive is in the computer, and I'm online".

For a while now I've been thinking, I'd like to print something on metal, just because, to hang on the wall. And, while we all like our saturated color stuff on a monitor, its not always a color, or for that mater a shot that you want hanging on the wall. You know, we cant hang something on the wall that clashes with the carpet or drapes.

So, I scour the hard drive looking for a likely shot, and here it is. It was shot in southern Arizona one morning while looking for the Sandhill Cranes. It was colder than this Arizona boy wants to be, and the air was so still the water was like a mirror.

Can't wait to see it on aluminum.

reeds 850x425 by Mortimus Gimelstop, on Flickr

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:07 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Reflections b&w

Hi Tim, I like the gradient from gray to white as you move up in the frame ... that is somewhat unique for this type of shot. Personally, I find the composition to be somewhat crowded and tangled. Not that every shot like this needs to consist of only 4 or 5 well placed stalks to succeed, but I think this one just has a bit too much going on with out of focus reeds as well as the left side being a bit heavier than the right side. Just my personal opinion, and I'm sure it will look really cool in a bit aluminum print!

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:29 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Reflections b&w

Thanks Chris, I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts.

The gradient was in the original shot, but I did enhance it some. I do now regret not removing the little bit of stuff that gets cut off on the left side of the frame. That slipped by me on the crop to fit the metal.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:19 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Reflections b&w

Hey Tim,

A really cool shot here, one that I think would work well with a metallic print. Even before reading Chris' comments, my first thought was you should do a slight crop off the left side. If you crop that bunch of reeds right along the left side off I think it would clean up the visual flow in that shot. My thought is the curving reeds in the next clump over I think would benefit by being along the edge. Anyway, it seems like it would.

Jim

Nov 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Reflections b&w

Thanks Jim, in hindsight I do believe you are right. In my first crop, I had some empty space on the left, but when I re-cropped to fit the metal, the left side got fussed up. I think I need to do some cloning out.

Nov 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Reflections b&w

In the spirit of constructive criticism, and happy pixels, I made a few edits.
I do think its a lot cleaner now.
Thanks guys.

reeds retouched 850 by Mortimus Gimelstop, on Flickr

Nov 22, 2014 at 06:11 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.