Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

pchaplo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

I use Canon 6D w 70-200 f/2.8 lense being my heaviest and am looking for decent carbon fiber tripod. Went to see Giotto and Monfrotto then saw XC528C Promaster and it looked pretty darn good. Comes with a light ball head. Open to ideas. I have a Gitzo ball head on my shelf and could use that on other legs although I'm a diehard Monfrotto 410 gear head user (prob too heavy for long hikes). Ideas welcome! Anyways suprised how nice the ProMaster looked.

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:46 PM
mrsleeve

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

I just got a set of Sirui M3204's legs for this very purpose. Have not gotten to use it at all since the day after it arrived the weather has gone right to crap. Just playing around with it a little in the house it seems to be very well made, not supper light but seems very strong will work well for trudgeing though the woods and up and down the "hills" we have around here (here being the northern rockies). Seems to hold my heaviest combo of a 6d and 150-600 tamzouka just fine, but then I think its prolly a bit of over kill for that combo.

I could be very wrong about it to since I have been using 190PROB manffroto for a the last couple of years, but to me this set feels like a major upgrade/

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:35 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

I use a Gitzo GT-0540 CF tripod with RRS BH-25 LR ball head for light weight hiking gear, with 6D + 70-200/2.8L IS II. I use the 410 geared head a lot, but it stays in the car (or at home) when I'm using the 0540. For travel, I use a Feisol CT-3441S tripod with 410 and BH-30 heads (on two centre columns).

For really light weight stuff, I use an X-E2 with 14/2.8 and 18-55 OIS, and SL1 + 70-200/4L IS. I recently bought an Edelkrone PocketStand to try with this gear, but I haven't yet had a chance to do it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 08:27 AM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

Thanks for the thoughtful replies; seems we are on the same happy trail. I work in the desert and dislike anything black due to the heat. Sometimes I wish my Canon DSLRs where silver like an old Rebel lol. That being said are there any light colored carbon fibre tripods -- or even a lighter aluminum (silver) tripod?

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:07 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

I have never seen a light-colored carbon fiber tripod. Maybe paint one?

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

pchaplo wrote:
Thanks for the thoughtful replies; seems we are on the same happy trail. I work in the desert and dislike anything black due to the heat. Sometimes I wish my Canon DSLRs where silver like an old Rebel lol. That being said are there any light colored carbon fibre tripods -- or even a lighter aluminum (silver) tripod?

Use legs wraps of a light color such as these.

EBH

Nov 22, 2014 at 02:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

well wait about few more minutes and all will be heat soaked to the point of equilibrium.

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

But it feels cooler.

EBH

Nov 22, 2014 at 11:56 AM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

Just back from camera show and thinking about going back tomorrow as they have new Gitzo GT2542L for $415 -- what do you think?

Nov 22, 2014 at 08:46 PM
mrsleeve

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

basically 50 bucks more than I paid for my Siriu M3204 leg's from amazon. With nearly identical specs for a gitzo that's currently being sold for 800ish with a 150 rebate from amazon and B&H.

I dont think I would have left today with out one even with the set I just got sitting at home.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

Excited! I went back to DFW Photo Expo and got the Gitzo GT2542L for $414 show price after $175 discount! It's beautiful! The folks at the Manfrotto/Gitzo booth were super helpful!

Nov 23, 2014 at 03:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

That is an excellent price.

EBH

Nov 23, 2014 at 03:31 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

pchaplo wrote:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1330556/4#12705273

Nov 24, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Carbon fiber tripod for backcountry landscapes: Promaster?

Ive been very happy with the second smallest Induro CF tripod. I also have one their large models.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.