Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Images stolen - advice/help?

swim_r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Images stolen - advice/help?

A very interesting thing happened today - I got an email from a wedding coordinator and found out that images from one of my weddings just appeared in Harpers Bazaar India. This is very cool, and I am truly honored, but they didn't have permission to use the images and I don't even know if I can get a copy. Thoughts or advice - or anyone who can get me a copy (it's the November issue)?

Since we all like looking at pictures, here is a link to some of the photos from the wedding.

http://thirdelement.co/adrienne--gaurav/

-Zach

Nov 20, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Etherton
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Got nothing for you on the stolen images but those photos are outstanding! Where were they taken?

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:18 PM
swim_r
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Images stolen - advice/help?

It was a private estate in Aptos CA (mountains outside of Santa Cruz)

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM
joelconner
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Harper's Bazaar You should talk to others who have had their work stolen...that is a big company, and you could get a pretty big paypay for them using them

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Zach, sorry to hear about the infringement.

Search FM for: copyright; infringement; licensing; damages

There are many threads on the topic.

There are two issues at hand - compensation and damages.

Did you previously registered your image with the US copyright office?... if not, my understanding is that may severely limit the damages you might otherwise be entitled to in the case of a ruling in your favor (that applies domestically, not sure about internationally).

Assuming not, you still have a case for compensation but pursuing it internationally would be expensive, I would think. I doubt if it would even make a difference if Harpers Bazaar India is a subsidiary of the US magazine, but I'm no attorney.

Good luck,

Chuck

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:34 PM
swim_r
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Thanks guys-

My main question is in regards to international copyright and or copyright or enforcement in India.

The way I see it, there are 2 levels to this:
1- me personally, I just want to see it, they credited us and it is awesome exposure, and kind of cool.

2- me as a member of a larger professional community. It is a major company that needs to know that photographs have value and that it is illegal to steal images.

All in all, not sure how I need to approach this - any reccomendation a or help would be great!

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:45 PM
nolaguy
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Google is my friend. Let me introduce you:

Contact Hearst http://www.hearst.com/magazines/hearst-magazines-international

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:13 AM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Even if this turns out badly for you, and they get away with theft, I would use this as self-promotion, just like you would if you won a print competition. Don't play up the theft in your self-promotion, play up the fact that your work is featured in an international publication. You know, "as seen in Harper's a Bazar"

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:36 AM
julian45
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Images stolen - advice/help?

The pictures are just amazing..... I would normally say with a little reservation thanks guys for printing it?

Nov 21, 2014 at 02:47 AM
Littleguy
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Great images.

As to what to do. I would find out if it was your clients who gave them out.

It doesn't change the copyright issues but does change who will get dragged in if you decide to go after them legally.

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:01 AM
eephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Images stolen - advice/help?

Ok I know it's been said all ready but.....WOWZERS!!!!! Those are awesome!! (I know, totally not on topic, but you killed it!)

Probably your client submitted them? Have you checked with them? (Or maybe the MOG or something along those lines...) I have had this happen before where clients submitted to blogs etc...(nothing like Harpers Magazine, but just local blogs etc...) and then client emails and says "hey guess what...our wedding is going to appear on XXXX. I have it in my contract that they can't do that, but they get excited and do it anyways. So...I don't really know what to advise you if that's the case. I would imagine your client breached your contract. My clients didn't get compensated so I take it as no harm and free promotion for me, but your clients for sure would have been compensated. Or someone would have. That's a whole other can of worms if that's the case...

Find out if your client submitted them or if they were indeed just taken by Harpers. Need to know what you're dealing with first before you proceed I think...

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:13 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.