Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

cwes
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Usually I use AF-C S for portraits. Works great. But for kids running around my keeper rate drops a good bit. Is there a better setting?

Nov 20, 2014 at 05:19 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Try D-9 with AF-C, or D-21 at a pinch...... Better still, stick with AF-C S and work on your skill and technique

Nov 20, 2014 at 05:26 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Thanks Gfinalyson. As far as technique, with AF-C should I just keep lightly pressing the shutter so it's still constantly refocusing, then all the way to take the shot? I mean other than how i'm holding the camera, making sure the AF point is on their eye, what else can I do to improve my technique?

Nov 20, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Brad Barr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

no... the d750 has the same af as the d4s. For tracking there is nothing better than afc-group setting...its much better than afc-s. Try it

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:33 PM
cwes
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Thank you sir!

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:34 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

cwes wrote:
Thanks Gfinalyson. As far as technique, with AF-C should I just keep lightly pressing the shutter so it's still constantly refocusing, then all the way to take the shot? I mean other than how i'm holding the camera, making sure the AF point is on their eye, what else can I do to improve my technique?

Use rear button AF and Group 5, if you're at all serious about this shite.

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:54 PM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

I like both group and 3d, but for many things I'd probably sooner go with 3d.

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:17 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

check the f stop & shutter speed used on the blurry photos

you may have something that Auto ISO can help

also what lens are you using?

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:43 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Focus of fast moving objects is a challenge and even more so with erratic moving things and fast lenses.

As others have suggested

AF-C
Set to focus priority
I would change the delay to "short" or "off" if you won't have things coming between you and the subject and feel good about keeping the subject within the "9" or what ever number of focus points you choose
The new group focus is worth a go

The more points you use, or 3D does increase the amount of data you ask the processor to compute with and does materially slow the calculations. With the new expeed4 I am sure it is better than the older generation expeed3 driven cameras

I would map the AF-ON button to the back AE-L button. Remember if you do that the half press shutter for r focus doesn't work any more and you need to switch it back when you want half-press to work. When you have it in this mode you can aim, use thumb on the AE-L to keep AF-ON activated and then push shutter for instant shot. The lack of seperate AF-ON was one of the reasons I moved to a D810 in the end.

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:55 PM
chip_master
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

trenchmonkey wrote:

No direct AF-ON on the D750, a tragic mistake IMHO for them to omit, yes you can map it but that disables the half press focus on the shutter, another firmwear stupidity from Nikon.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:04 PM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

no offense, maybe I'm missing something..but AFC for Portraits and AFC set to Focus priority for fast moving subjects recommendations here seems abstract to me..I did like the Focus + Release in AFC on my D700 tho but for sports/action I can't imaging using Focus over Release...or need continuos focus for a static/stationary subject

Edited on Nov 20, 2014 at 09:17 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:11 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

chip_master wrote:
No direct AF-ON on the D750, a tragic mistake IMHO for them to omit, yes you can map it but that disables the half press focus on the shutter, another firmwear stupidity from Nikon.

Uh, isn't that what AF-ON does, regardless if it's remapped to a different button or has a dedicated button? It separates the focus from the shutter release...

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:12 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

chip_master wrote:

The either-or for BBF or half-shutter focusing is fine with me (I'd never want both), but Nikon's steadfast refusal to put AF-ON buttons on all but their top-end semi-pro bodies does come across as rather silly.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:13 PM
Alpha_Geist
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Also, Group AF (from my D4s experience) is like an isolated, but movable, Auto mode. It works, but good luck getting the eyes in focus 100% of the time on the little ankle biters. Certain aspects will be in focus, just can't guarantee it will always be on the eye(s).

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:14 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

cwes wrote:

trenchmonkey wrote:

chip_master wrote:

I shoot the D810, so no idea they omitted it Word of the paltry 1/4000th was the real deal breaker for me.
In regards to "just the eye" as an AF target...single point will invariably yield more keepers than any Auto option.
A burst of several (if employing f1.4 aperture) will ensure success. People move/blink, things to keep in mind.
Regarding rug-rats try f2.8 and 4X FL SS, should have plenty DOF if you can stay on their head. My 3 grandkids
live in fear of my keeper rates. Just sayin'

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:51 AM
cwes
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Kell wrote:
no offense, maybe I'm missing something..but AFC for Portraits and AFC set to Focus priority for fast moving subjects recommendations here seems abstract to me..I did like the Focus + Release in AFC on my D700 tho but for sports/action I can't imaging using Focus over Release...or need continuos focus for a static/stationary subject

I shoot a lot of weddings. Also with family portraits the little kids they don't always set still. Other than using more battery power (which isn't an issue) is there any downside to using AF-C just in case I need it for someone moving? I understand when I shoot senior portraits I don't need AF-C. But on most of my other photo shoots I would think it would be helpful. So I just leave it on all the time. Unless there is something I'm missing and I shouldn't?

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:04 AM
Kell
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

good points..don't shoot portraits much but when I have it hasn't been fidegty kids, etc..wasn't considering all the 'Portrait' scenarios...I may just change to AFC Focus Priority on a U setting, thx

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:57 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Focuses in somewhat lower light (often by AF assist) with AF-S center point than in AF-C mode.

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:03 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

I've found AF-C 3D can't decide which subject to stick with if there are lots of options in the frame. At football last weekend, it would always get a player in focus ... just not always the right one. So my person preference now is AF-C D-21 but I haven't had the camera long enough to speak very authoritatively on the system.

Nov 21, 2014 at 09:48 PM
gfinlayson
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · What's the best AF choice for D750 and moving objects?

Forgot to tick the e-mail box, so missed a few replies. I use a D800, so no fancy "AF group" mode here. BBF via AF-ON, on the non-pro bodies you have to configure AE-L/AF-L to AF-ON. I roll with permanent AF-C, single point, priority selection Release + focus. Focus priority cripples Nikon DSLRs - if the camera doesn't think it's focused, the shutter release is inhibited. Trouble is, very often, it's achieved focus before it's realised it has. I use these settings shooting marathons, where constantly refocusing from one runner to another as they head towards you is the name of the game. Focus misses are about 1 or 2 per 1000.

As trenchmonkey said, single point AF yields more keepers. Have you seen his BIF stuff? Just sayin' !

Nov 22, 2014 at 07:04 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.