FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Nigel Turner
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Recently spent a week up in Zion leading my annual Fall Colors Workshop and we spent a great day hiking the Virgin River Narrows. The only downside to this nowadays are the sheer number of folk hiking this area on any given day… but thats the way it is and we have to learn to be patient and work along side one another.

If you look very carefully you can just make out a group of three people towards where the river flows out of the frame, just to the right of those main boulders. Gives you some idea of the scale of the Narrows.

The golden glow that this image has is intense at certain times of the day and is quiet natural.

Thanks for looking and any comments you may have.

**Changed white balance to remove some of the golden glow**

Edited on Nov 20, 2014 at 10:35 PM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

This image depicts the scale nicely. It does seem a bit yellow, even if that is the 'golden glow'.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:21 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Love the place, and really like this image. I processed mine a bit darker, but thats a matter of taste.

I waited for the people to leave, took me a long time to get back. The end of Wall Street was not much of a problem as there were just 3 of us there and we stayed clear of each others shots. By the time I got back to Orderville it was a zoo.

Nov 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Very nice composition, this is a popular spot in here ever since Marc Adamus made a shot from this spot, however I think I like your composition better, it feels very natural. My only critique would be the color balance, it feels too yellow. Color balance in the narrows seems very subjective, but I do think this would sing better with a tweak in that regard.

Nov 20, 2014 at 02:22 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Andy, this location is not particularly grander than any other spot in the narrows regardless of who has previously photographed there. I have a similar image. So do 100,000 other photogs. One can make an interesting image every 50 feet in there, if they apply their dedicated vision and creativity.

Nov 20, 2014 at 02:43 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Jeffrey, I think you are looking for a fight where none was intended.

Nov 20, 2014 at 03:32 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Not at all, Andy. I just was a bit surprised with your opening line. I agree with what followed.

This image is fine (color excepted) and a great representation of the place, which stands on it's own merits.

Nov 20, 2014 at 04:35 PM
ChrisKayler
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Very nice image! Is it on large format, or did you just crop to 4x5? Either way, I love the radiance of the light, but do agree that backing off even just a tiny bit from the yellow color balance might really make it pop for me. Something as small as +4 or +5 towards blue might start to give some contrast between cooler and warmer tones within the image. Looking closely, one thing that bothers me is the way the top 1/5th or so of the frame gets darker across all sides of the frame. Is this a grad line? If so, I'd try to minimize it in post. The composition is natural and very pleasing to look at.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:37 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

andyjaggy82 wrote:
Very nice composition, this is a popular spot in here ever since Marc Adamus made a shot from this spot, however I think I like your composition better, it feels very natural. My only critique would be the color balance, it feels too yellow. Color balance in the narrows seems very subjective, but I do think this would sing better with a tweak in that regard.

I agree with Jeffrey, Marc Adamus may have shot it (I actually have no idea) but it's a popular spot because it's a good spot. I would venture to say that if you took a poll of people who shot there, maybe only 1 out of a 100 would have even heard of Marc Adamus, and those that had heard of him aren't going to remember his shot. I have know Marc for years now, and personally only 2 of his shots even come to mind, 1 from Mono Lake and 1 from the Bristlecone Pines. I know he has shot and published probably thousands of shots but I don't recall them.

Jim

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:36 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Hey Nigel, I like this a lot. A very nicely shot scene.

Jim

Nov 21, 2014 at 01:37 AM
Nigel Turner
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Thanks Jim,

Not sure why the other guys got all twisted over what someone else did.. but there you go.

To be perfectly honest I'm sick to death of all the shit that digital photography has brought us. It's always one photographer trying to outdo another photographer and shouting 'I'm better than you" and all the shit that goes with it.

Fine.. let em get on with it.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:08 PM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Nigel,
Love the scene, nicely captured.
Your rendition of it makes me want to go there & see how it looks on Velvia (or Ektar)
Thanks for posting

Dan

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:24 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

It's great that you were able to shoot the afternoon glow at this location. It's a glow you don't see quite as often, which is nice. I like your newer version with the toned down yellows as it comes across much more natural. Did you use a grad filter on this? It looks like the top 1/5th is significantly darker than the lower portion.

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Scott Kroeker
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Virgin River Narrows ~ Zion National Park

Ben Horne wrote:
It's great that you were able to shoot the afternoon glow at this location. It's a glow you don't see quite as often, which is nice. I like your newer version with the toned down yellows as it comes across much more natural. Did you use a grad filter on this? It looks like the top 1/5th is significantly darker than the lower portion.

I was wondering about that band as well. I really like the edit Nigel. Is the band possible shutter failure?

Nov 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.