Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · Something to think about...

Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Something to think about...

That makes a lot of sense, Tim. Thanks.

Nov 21, 2014 at 05:24 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Something to think about...

I'm confused.............but maybe that's because I just take selfies.

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:09 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Something to think about...

Larry: I'm hoping that's Paul's cue.

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:14 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Something to think about...

Hence... the photographer's paradox. We publish, post, portfolioize shots that we personally like because the athleticism of the subject warrants aesthetic value amongst our colleagues. But in doing so, the volume of your best looking athletes is saturated in the market because no matter how good you think you are, there will be a group of those who feel they are your equal.

Me? Been down the road of photographical self gratification. Doesn't pay my bills. Doesn't pay my employer's bills. I'm forever bound to shooting shots of tight cheer bases that will never see the light of day of a Mirandian post but continue to please parents whose kids might never see the light of day on sales stations by competing photo companies.

Carry on.

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:15 PM
lhryshko
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Something to think about...

Ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh.........some of you Miridians too cool to shoot bases, huh?

© lhryshko 2014

Nov 21, 2014 at 06:37 PM
Gal7373

p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Something to think about...

P Alesse wrote:
... As a photographer what's more important to you?
- That YOU like your photo or
- That the subject of your photo likes your photo?

Discuss.

I am not a professional or no where near one. I'm a novice hobbyist at best, so for me, it's important that I like the photo. But we all have that ego that needs flattering every once in awhile. When I like the picture, it satisfies that ego, but when the subject compliments the photo, it is that much more satisfying. I guess it's the affirmation that I'm doing something right. That's the opinion of a hobbyist who is still trying to get tack sharp focus on all his shots.

Excellent question Mr. Alesse. As a fan of yours from LI, let me know if you ever need someone to carry your bags...

Nov 22, 2014 at 07:13 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Something to think about...

timgangloff wrote:
Also, if I shoot 400 images at a football game and post them online for sale, I don't necessarily like each image. Sometimes, they are just in focus and show somebody. But, that is a potential sale. I don't like the image and would not present it here, but still it might sell.

Tim,
This resonated with me. As a hobbyist who posts the photos for sale (mostly out of respect to all the pros and teachers here on FM), I find myself posting images I know I should delete, but feel I "need" to post because I didn't have others/enough of that player. Many time they not only appreciate being included, but also don't mind some of the flaws that I see and you would see.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:28 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Something to think about...

Paul,
Yes a Paradox. Did you clear the new name with Fred first? He has a lot tied up in the brand.

Back to your question. But, isn't "Like" very subjective in itself, opimions have changes, and even Like is paradoxal at times (think love-hate).

My daughter just had me remove 9shots of her because she didn't like them. IMHO, none of the had the funny/awkward/embarrassing type of shots we sometimes point out here on FM. She just didn't like them (vanity/other similar reasons). Makes it hard to tell.
Other times, she or other players/parents like the shot,but I have troubles looking past some of the critique points I know are used here on FM.

So isn't "Like" a moving target?

My answer to the OP- I think that over time, both are important, and ebb and flow between the two (self/customer) depending on circumstance.

Guy
(PS - I don't like pop quizzes unless accompanied by a representative answer to the problem)

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:47 AM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Something to think about...

As a photographer, what's more important to me? That the check clears.

Guess that's a round-about way of answering Paul's initial question?

In all seriousness, as I sat with a client last week and looked at her family portraits, most of what she picked as "favorites" weren't what I would have picked. And yes, her check cleared.

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:01 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Something to think about...

Paul,

Great question. My thoughts are I believe we all enjoy looking at our own work, as we all have at least a little bit of ego to feed. Why else would we put in so many hours on jobs with very little monetary reward? It's because we have a desire deep down to make the best images possible to feed that ego.

I agree that the clients needs are very important, but I don't take that as the final say as to whether I've created a good image or not. As Scott said though, as long as the check clears, I'm good.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Something to think about...

I think the line between photographer and business man gets blurred here sometimes. With that being said...

As a photographer it is more important that I like the photo.

As a business man it is less important that I like it as much as the subject does. But at the same time they aren't going to see a photo that I don't like in the first place. So who knows?

In neither case do I believe ego is a factor (for me). It is more about a pursuit of excellence.

Marty

Nov 24, 2014 at 02:04 PM
BillyHurst
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Something to think about...

Marty, you said what I wanted to say. You just made it sound a little better. The 'pursuit of excellence' brings it all home.

Nov 24, 2014 at 02:25 PM
redman
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Something to think about...

Russ Isabella wrote:
Paul: I'd have to go with me, and that is something that has evolved as more and more my shooting is such that I have no idea what my subjects might think about my photos of them. The exception would be gymnastics, where I still don't have much information about how my subjects view my photos of them, but there's no doubt I'm thinking about that and factoring it into my shot selections.

I was thinking pretty much the same thing Russ...

Nov 26, 2014 at 06:19 PM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.