Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · Something to think about...

P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Something to think about...

... As a photographer what's more important to you?
- That YOU like your photo or
- That the subject of your photo likes your photo?

Discuss.

Nov 19, 2014 at 04:46 AM
mikekeating
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Something to think about...

Hi,
As someone that is still learning to shoot decent photos, it is more important that I like the photo right now. As I get better and my skills improve at getting the right shot, the subject will enjoy them more (as well as me). Right now I am just shooting for the players and their parents and don't charge my daughter's soccer team. I am starting to get asked to cover other teams . . . Then the billing system changes

Nov 19, 2014 at 06:37 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Something to think about...

Both

In my current iteration as a sports photographer, I shoot for what I love...that attracts clients that also like those images, and my editing style. Therefore, my clients like the photos.

As for subjects...most like what I shoot, but I have had a few that didn't like a certain capture (usually comes down to expression or body orientation).

As a portrait photographer, expressions are more neutral, since it's either smile ,non smile, or half smile. The subject usually approves of all images I present.

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:38 AM
tmalone893
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Something to think about...

My initial thought was both, but after thinking about it I would say more me. If I'm not liking the pictures I take, how can I expect others to like them.

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:35 AM
Aqualung
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Something to think about...

^This...while I do have to be pleased w/ my photos, it's ultimately the client that needs to be.

Chris

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:47 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Something to think about...

Hmm... this discussion point is deceptively complex especially when you start to consider the many scenarios / aspects of photography. I see three main facets being personal, professional and general public, each have their variations.

What do you like (personal): well I have a few but boiled down, it comes in two flavors, soccer & landscape. Capturing the human form in action on a soccer field is my true passion when it comes to photography. I've also branched out to discover landscape which has become a more serious study of late. I'm not as good here but the enjoyment is the work I put in to improve my capability to capture scenes.

What does the subject of my photos like: My professional side grew out of my love of shooting soccer . Having landed a position shooting for a pro team has been a rewarding experience to continue learning and improving. Discovering the pressure associated with half-time deadlines brings on a special set of demands The rewarding part is discovering you can step up to the next level and perform. My employer likes and uses my work, boxed checked As for landscape, the mountains are pretty much silent regarding my work which most likely is because my plebs' effort to date doesn't deserve much praise definitely a work in progress...

The best part is if you are lucky enough to have the two questions intersected by one common thread. For me it's my passion for soccer. I love to shoot it, like my work (well not always, it seems there is always something that I could have done better) and my subject (team) appreciates my effort.

The third aspect - public: Best place I've found to test the waters and gather opinions is right here on FM. Regardless of what you shoot most people here will provide feedback. The challenging part is what you do with it

Matt

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:49 AM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Something to think about...

Paul: I'd have to go with me, and that is something that has evolved as more and more my shooting is such that I have no idea what my subjects might think about my photos of them. The exception would be gymnastics, where I still don't have much information about how my subjects view my photos of them, but there's no doubt I'm thinking about that and factoring it into my shot selections.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:23 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Something to think about...

P Alesse wrote:
... As a photographer what's more important to you?
- That YOU like your photo or
- That the subject of your photo likes your photo?

Discuss.

Currently neither. There is yet a third party to please: The Editor / Employer.

These "E's" are not the subject. And they're not me either. We see differently.

But my camera sees what THEY want it to see.

Because frankly, I'd rather see photos of Franklin.

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:41 AM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Something to think about...

Another trick question from an educator.

Depends.

When shooting T&I, customer is right about posing and final image. Often I like a different image than the customer, but part of my shooting day allows for the parent/subject to help choose their image(s).

When shooting for wire, me. I hope the employer hired me because I generally choose good images to submit and therefore, I must be happy first. I am pretty sure the subjects never see my images. I can't imagine how many images JOHN DOE D1 QB/RB/LB sees of himself. My images are a trivial percent of that number. At the same time, I try to submit images that make the athletes look good, so if they did see them, they would like them. However, if said RB is running over a LB, then perhaps the LB is not so keen on the image.

All of that being said, I shoot a lot of images just for me and my personal satisfaction. Some of these get "published" on Facebook, get printed for my house, or filed away on some hard drive.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:43 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Something to think about...

I am my own worst critic..... If I'm happy, most of the time my client is too. However, there are times when I do something that pleases me, the editor isn't happy.... You can't bite the hand that feeds you.... So often I'll shoot an image both ways, the way I like it and the way the client likes it. Just this week , I shot a buddy photo on a T&I shoot, the parent was arranging the three girls in the photo (small 3 team shoot, had the time to let the parent in...). I took the photo, mom loved it... I thought I could light it better.... Mom said go with it.... I said cool and moved on (only a $15 print...). But had that been a bigger sale.... We need to match our vision with our clients'....

Nov 19, 2014 at 01:01 PM
jrash168

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Something to think about...

I would say, me liking my photo. If I pull off shots that I like, it gives me a sense of accomplishment since it is what I have envisioned. This gives me motivation to continue taking pictures and it shows my style. I would hope that my clients would appreciate my eye and style rather than just finding somebody to push a button.

Nov 19, 2014 at 01:12 PM
rdalrt
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Something to think about...

Hmm, since I really don't know how many of my subjects actually ever see my photos, I would have to say that I have to like the photo.

Nov 19, 2014 at 09:05 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Something to think about...

It’s more important that I like it.

Most clients aren’t trained to appreciate art, but everyone knows when they see something they like. If I can achieve what I like, considering the limits of my talents and tools used at the time I made the portrait, I’m happy. I did my best.
Never satisfied, I only need to look at others work to see how I can do better. But looking back I can feel satisfaction with where I’ve progressed to now.

Challenging myself is why photography continues to be fun for me.

Nov 20, 2014 at 02:35 PM
jcnemy
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Something to think about...

I strive for both.

Shooting sports is my 'fishing'....I go to each event prepared, ready, and hopeful I catch the 10-pound bass or the image that could run the front cover of SI. So I always try to outshoot myself at every opportunity.

By the way.....still looking for that 10-pound bass.

However - I've quickly learned the need to assess your audience or customers and shoot to meet their needs and desires which hopefully leads to a 'like' and then a sale. I'm still trying to equate my 'like' to a customer's 'like'....which makes me wonder how many shots I left on the hard drive and did not uploaded that could have been sells? I often wonder because shots that I considered would be big sellers did nothing and those 'constellation' shots that I included sold big

So - from my foxhole.....shots that "I" like don't equal shots "customers" like enough to purchase. An area I'm going to look into to see if there is a trend or stat to help improve this.

Nov 20, 2014 at 10:48 PM
dacop
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Something to think about...

Sometimes you just know when you nailed a great shot. And usually the subject in the photo agrees.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:22 PM
glort
• • • •
[X]
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Something to think about...

Definately more important that the client likes the shot.
They pay me for what they like, they don't pay me for what I like.

I'll tell you who is the LEAST important people to like my work.....

Other photographers!

Nov 21, 2014 at 04:29 AM
jcruizphoto
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Something to think about...

tmalone893 wrote:
My initial thought was both, but after thinking about it I would say more me. If I'm not liking the pictures I take, how can I expect others to like them.

Agreed

Nov 21, 2014 at 09:13 AM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Something to think about...

As glort and others have said...whomever the customer is.

Another way to word the question:
- Are you a hobbiest?
- Are you a business?

Nov 21, 2014 at 04:30 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Something to think about...

So photographers who are in business are making a habit of placing into the hands of their customers photos that they themselves don't like based on some non-personal set of criteria for judging the image? I'm not buying it (pun absolutely intended!). How does it come about that your customer/client ever even sees images you've taken that you don't like? I certainly understand that the customer/client can dictate the kinds of images they are willing to pay for, but I'm finding it hard to believe that within the constraints they set, the personal choices of the photographer aren't coming into play.

Maybe I'm just thinking about this in the wrong way. When a sports photographer shoots 500-1000 images at an event and submits 30 of those images to the client, it's the photographer deciding which 30 shots to submit, and while the shots taken and choices for submission made most certainly will be affected by an understanding of what the client wants, the photographer's eye, tastes, preferences, etc. most definitely will play into the equation. On the other hand, if the question is whether I would shoot an event differently if my only constraints were to please myself rather than a client, the answer is yes, I would, and this would be more purely for the sake of capturing images appealing to me.

I also have to disagree with the idea that what other photographers think would be of least importance. If I'd felt that way starting out, I never would have learned anything about photography.

By the way....thanks, Paul. So when's your break over?

Nov 21, 2014 at 04:39 PM
timgangloff
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Something to think about...

For me Russ, the customers can trump what I like in one of two ways. When I shoot T&I, I let the kids/parents do a couple of different poses and then they order one. Sometimes they pick one I like less than others. Sometimes I put a couple of variations online for a customer to pick. For example, I shot some senior baseball players the other day and they each did a few different poses. These shots will be used for their banner. They pick the pose. Again, not always my 1st choice. So, it's not that I don't like them per se, but that I like them less than my favorites. Of course, if the image is garbage, it is deleted immediately and the customer does not get to see or pick it.

Think of it this way. Let's say you take and submit 20 images of a gymnast. Let's say you like them all, but have 2 or 3 favorites. Now, consider that the gymnast wants to order an image, but chooses one of your least favorites.

Also, if I shoot 400 images at a football game and post them online for sale, I don't necessarily like each image. Sometimes, they are just in focus and show somebody. But, that is a potential sale. I don't like the image and would not present it here, but still it might sell.

Nov 21, 2014 at 05:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.