New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2014 · not sure about this one

beanpkk
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · not sure about this one

According to the number on the Forums page, this site has over 280000 members. That's the size of a good-sized city! If 1% of those members participated in Photo Critique, we'd have 2800 active people posting here. Instead we may have 1/100th of that, 28, or less actively posting on this board. I just have to wonder where they all are? It seems like there must be 279900 lurkers and 100 posters.

Which brings up the question of why such a tiny posters to lurkers ratio.

All of that aside, here is an image I took recently. Is it junk (be honest here and say so if you think it is -- I can handle it) or something more interesting?

Thanks very much,
keith

IMG_9222 by beanp, on Flickr

Edited on Nov 20, 2014 at 07:40 AM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:04 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · not sure about this one

I wouldn't go with "junk" ... seems to be more of an impressionistic rendering than a "photo".

I'm a fan of "lemonade" ... taking something that is less than ideal and giving it a different life. I suspect that this would fall into that realm ... which can be challenging to compare (i.e. really not comparable) to more traditional (if there is such a thing) photos.

1% of 1% ... interesting observation / analysis. That could be perceived as one of those 1/2 empty vs. 1/2 full things.

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:25 PM
FarmerJohn
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · not sure about this one

Definitely agree it could fall into the 'lemonade' category.

Note - your flickr embedding is not working... but the direct flickr link is...

- John

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:27 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · not sure about this one

Thanks for the reactions Rusty and Farmer. Images of real subjects I can evaluate to some extent but these impressionistic/abstract things are tougher.

I'll check into the Flickr thing....thank you for letting me know.
kk

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:34 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · not sure about this one

I'd say it was something to play with for impression/abstraction. Using PixelBender plugin's oilpaint filter and some exposure/gamma selective changes, etc.:

Edited on Nov 19, 2014 at 02:31 AM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:35 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · not sure about this one

For example, playing with an image of a tui caught taking flight, but with a shutter speed a little too slow. An opportunity for play.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:04 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · not sure about this one

Aunti -- I love what you did with the bird. And thank you for the idea on the deer image. I think it's all in the nature of 'if I have a lemon, make lemonade", and playing with images is fun anyway.

Thanks,
keith

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:57 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · not sure about this one

Is the OP the sooc or your processed rendering already? I thought it was your rendering intent, which I prefer the softer vibe for congruence with overcast/morning winter lighting.

Nov 19, 2014 at 09:10 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · not sure about this one

The original image was SOOC with only a basic levels adjustment.
k

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:17 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · not sure about this one

Hope you don't mind a little play with Impressionist plugin.

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:40 PM
lylejk
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · not sure about this one

Here's the best photo save that I could do; still looks like a painting. lol

Nov 19, 2014 at 08:45 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · not sure about this one

beanpkk wrote:
The original image was SOOC with only a basic levels adjustment.
k

Curious ...

lens
conditions
exif
backstory
which film used

beanpkk wrote:
Which brings up the question of why such a tiny posters to lurkers ratio.

I've often pondered this a bit also, given that this group primarily has a spirit of genuinely helping others (each with our own ways).

About the best I can come up with is to compare it to the patron who tries on some clothing and asks the salesperson the question of "Does this make me look fat?" Rarely is the patron looking for an answer that explains how it shows them unflattering in certain areas.

It is a question that requires a deft salesman with expertise in blending the truth with a high regard for the emotional investment of the patron ... otherwise, the patron will shop elsewhere, claiming the salesperson is either a) rude or b) doesn't know what they are talking about.

However, when working with a tailor or seamstress, there is a direct exchange of information with the patron, and both are working toward a fine fitting garment in a different kind of experience. I'd suggest that the number of folks who work with tailors & seamstresses is likely also on the order of 1% of 1% compared to those who don't enter into such an exchange oriented process and are simply looking for the existing product offering to be met with a flattering answer ... even though it may be only a generic product, rather than one custom tailored to be the most flattering it can be for them.

The goal of the tailor / seamstress is to produce a garment that fits the client and in the most flattering way possible, so the client is comfortable with it both functionally and aesthetically. Sometimes, it takes some educating a client toward what actually constitutes a good fitting and flattering garment ... and even then, not all clients would agree with their seamstress as to what the end product should be.

For those who are regulars here, I think they are willing to invest their time, attention and thoughts to developing an exchange of information experience more akin to working with a variety of seamstresses / tailors (each with their own sense of styling) than simply wanting a quick reply from the clerk telling them what they want to hear ... if that makes any sense.

I'm sure there are other factors also, but in today's realm of folks searching for instant gratification ... this forum likely isn't the most conducive for some. I always get a unique feeling when someone presents an image that "silences" me to gush over it with a simple or that I wouldn't dare suggest any changes. Style & taste are highly subjective, but critical review (Project Runway, etc.) isn't always well aligned to self-esteem building that some folks are really asking for.

Personally, I'm very reticent to embark on some leather, sewing and woodworking projects ... I already know they are fraught with a zillion flaws before I even start. My wife quilts, her brother is an excellent fine woodworker and my best friend is a cobbler, all with a critical eye for imperfections in their work (which I greatly respect). Rarely does anyone want to feel like they are producing the work of a ten year old by comparison, except for those who embrace the journey required to transition from apprentice to master. I know that my family / friend desire to see me progress, but I'm still "held back" by my own awareness of my amateurish skill level in those disciplines. It is a SILLY (human) self-imposed thing, as they all warmly encourage me to progressively participate in their beloved crafts, yet it is a powerful one that keeps me at bay more than it ever should. That's kind of how I wonder @ what keeps lurkers bay, despite our oft repeated, genuine invitations for more participation in this forum.

I'd like to think that those of us here respect and embrace that spirit of growth in the best way possible, not the least of which is simply ... Iron Sharpens Iron ... as we all strive to grow, no matter our current level. Maybe some day we'll grow to 2% participation, but till then I appreciate the 1% that we have.

2014 is nearly over, but there's still time to step toward new goals. And if not by the end of the year, then 2015 is just around the corner for some new goal setting. Historically, I set a photographic goal each year for something that I'm currently not comfortable with. For 2015, I think I'm going to make my goal the production of a custom leather camera bag ... which is "double" (sewing & leather) out of my comfort zone. It'll be fraught with imperfections and learning to start, and I'll need the exchange of information from others to help me progress to my final design, but I'll never get there if I don't start taking those steps that are currently outside my comfort zone.

Now, to all the lurkers (and non-lurkers) ... step out of your comfort zone, get in the game and "Bring on the pics".

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · not sure about this one

I was gonna simply frame your OP ... but it strikes me as "painterly", so I applied some brush stroke (two different ones) filters to "run with it" just a bit more. One thing about lemonade, it can range from delightfully light and refreshing to tart to county fair shake-up sweet ... and they can all still be enjoyed on any given day.

Just a switch from S&P to L&S ... how you flavor it is still up to you.

Nov 20, 2014 at 01:27 AM
mxwizard1
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · not sure about this one

RustyBug wrote:
Curious ...

lens
conditions
exif
backstory
which film used

I've often pondered this a bit also, given that this group primarily has a spirit of genuinely helping others (each with our own ways).

About the best I can come up with is to compare it to the patron who tries on some clothing and asks the salesperson the question of "Does this make me look fat?" Rarely is the patron looking for an answer that explains how it shows them unflattering in certain areas.

It is a question that requires a deft salesman with expertise in blending the truth with
...Show more

Well said. As a fairly new poster to the forum what kept me away for a long time was the fact that I saw such wonderful work and didn't think that my pics would or could measure up. I'm not a wine expert , but I know what I like and don't like, cost not being the deciding factor. I think that my skills are better than some and not as good as others, but I have taken the advice given to me by fellow members and am encouraged to go forward and try to apply that knowledge and experience. Others around me admire my photos. On our recent trip to Europe, a woman came to me at the end of the trip and thanked me for inspiring her to shoot more. She figured that if I was shooting something, that she should come over and see what it was, that I must be seeing something she didn't see. I was touched. I'm getting back into the hobby and am having way more fun now than 20 years ago. It is still hard to step out of MY comfort zone and post more...I am a work in progress....By the way I love the bird shot......

Nov 20, 2014 at 01:50 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · not sure about this one

mxwizard1 wrote:
Well said. As a fairly new poster to the forum what kept me away for a long time was the fact that I saw such wonderful work and didn't think that my pics would or could measure up. I'm not a wine expert , but I know what I like and don't like, cost not being the deciding factor. I think that my skills are better than some and not as good as others, but I have taken the advice given to me by fellow members and am encouraged to go forward and try to apply that knowledge and experience.
...Show more

Welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

Thanks and diggin' the wine reference. Imo, the spectrum ranges so wide such that we all have something to offer each other and something to learn from one another. How far or deep we want to take it, that's individual preference to be sure, but I truly appreciate how your story @ "touched" illustrates the relative aspect of this.

Oh, and that "work in progress" thing ... aren't we all.

Again, welcome to FM and the PC Forum ... 2% here we come.

Nov 20, 2014 at 02:00 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · not sure about this one

The story of the original deer image is simple: I was driving along a road near Acadia National Park and saw in the distance (100 yards?) a deer walk across the road. It was snowing fairly heavily at the time, and as I slowly approached the deer kept going into the woods so I had very little time. I happened to have my 400/5.6 on the camera (a miracle in itself!) so I grabbed it and took one rushed shot through the windshield (!) knowing that this was just for fun and that the image would be useless. But when I looked at the image, I rather liked it. I am a poor judge of my own images (mostly because I under-rate them, according to my wife), so I wanted to know what others thought about it. I really like what some of you have done with it -- just the sort of input I wanted to get. As for the 280000, it just strikes me that we have a TON of lurkers who are afraid to post. I agree with mxwizard1 above -- I seldom post because I am just not good enough. And because when I do, say, in the Landscape board, I get almost zero comments. It takes a bit of inner strength to comment on someone else's photo, and quite a bit more to actually post one of my own. Maybe this rings true with others as well.

Thank you all for looking and for the responses and images!

keith

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:52 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · not sure about this one

beanpkk wrote:
As for the 280000, it just strikes me that we have a TON of lurkers who are afraid to post. I agree with mxwizard1 above -- I seldom post because I am just not good enough. And because when I do, say, in the Landscape board, I get almost zero comments. It takes a bit of inner strength to comment on someone else's photo, and quite a bit more to actually post one of my own. Maybe this rings true with others as well.

It can be a tough pill to swallow when someone is critical of your creative output - especially when you think you did a good job. But almost always, more eyes on a picture will provide a combination of different perspectives as well picking up certain nuances that you might overlook (especially when spending so much time with a single image - tweaking and updating and staring. I can sometimes get a bad case of tunnel-vision if I've been looking at the same shot for too long).

There are many posters in PC (even moreso with FM overall) who are better photographers than I am. But I choose to view that as a blessing rather than a curse. Sure, what I post is lightyears behind others, but you've got to start somewhere. But I almost always learn something from the feedback I receive. You sometimes might not agree with someone's opinion (art is subjective, right?), but seeing the image through another person's eyes might very well expand your own horizon.

It's a little sad to think about all the potentially amazing photos that we miss out on due to people being scared to take the plunge and put themselves out there. But like Kent said about the 1%, I'm plenty grateful for what we've got.

I know that I can post images and almost undoubtedly get meaningful feedback. No one grows or gets better from being pat on the back, regardless of what they put forth. How far do you imagine the rowboat getting when you only outfit one side with oars?

Take the plunge.

Put yourself out there.

GROW!

Rambling concluded.

Jeff

Nov 20, 2014 at 08:31 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · not sure about this one

Gotcha @ heavy snow and windshield. That explains the very low contrast and the double bokeh (why I thought you had already rendered that way). I'm familiar with the bokeh of a lot of different lens designs ... I must have forgotten about the bokeh of windshield glass.

As to the original image ... even without the backstory, it still calls to me @ the painterly/impressionist vibe. I think an additional reason for the attraction is that it DOES remind me (i.e. convey the message) of what it's like to be out there trying to see Bambi in challenging conditions. Not everyone chases Bambi in foul winter weather, so the recognition of that message might be somewhat limited among the masses. Not quite the same level of detail we might see from a Moose Peterson, summertime, golden hour shot with a really big, Big White lens ... but I'd suggest that it conveys its message (inclusive of reduced visibility) with clarity, nonetheless.

The main thing that bugs me about the image is the double bokeh (which suggests something non-natural) even though many would jump all over the low level of detail (this coming from a detail junkie). Otherwise, the low contrast has a relaxed component to it. I wouldn't expect a lot of folks to gush over it as an "AMAZING SHOT, dude", but I think it would make a nicely soft-spoken accent decor in the right setting.

Edited on Nov 20, 2014 at 09:18 AM · View previous versions

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:09 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · not sure about this one

RustyBug wrote:
Gotcha @ heavy snow and windshield. That explains the very low contrast and the double bokeh (why I thought you had already rendered that way). I'm familiar with the bokeh of a lot of different lens designs ... I must have forgotten about the bokeh of windshield glass.

As to the original image ... even without the backstory, it still calls to me @ the painterly/impressionist vibe. I think and additional reason for this is that it DOES remind me (i.e. convey the message) of what it's like to be out there trying to see Bambi in challenging conditions. Not
...Show more

I dig the impressionist plugin rework that Lyle put forth and would probably REALLY like it if it were pulled back some.

The cross hatching strokes seem to really work.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:16 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · not sure about this one

+1 @ the cross hatching. That is what I started to use to mimick/hide the double bokeh.

Then I got pulled into exploration of some other brush strokes. I went with the splattered on the trees and angled on the deer to see how I could mix / blend diff strokes for effect/pull.

Nov 20, 2014 at 09:21 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.