BeeBalm wrote:
300 AM is just about right!!!!

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:48 PM
kosin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Baldies 2 (18)

Ted ellis wrote:
Vic......my backyard... overrun is a fact of life. everyone should get a parking spot 12-hours ahead of time. There is a pizza company which delivers.

Ted

Some guy with a coffee truck would make a lot of $$$ on the weekends there for sure

On the other note…
Sadly, I don't have the experience of the "golden" days because I found out about the location of your pond in 2009. At that time, is was already crowded. Luckily, at this location there is "almost" no way for anybody to get really close to the birds to disturb them. I say almost because there were some nutjobs in the past, trying to reach the island but this was quickly resolved. My point is, and please do not take this the wrong way, is there really a relation between large number of people having a bad influence on the number of eagles?
There were some pretty bad floods in 2010-12. Is it possible that this contributed to the less favorable condition for the fish? Less fish, less food for eagles… This forced eagles to find better location and this is where they are going this year, simply not stopping at the pond in large numbers…

Action wise, I believe that last season was the best of the last 5 years. So far, this season is pretty good as well…

Excellent set!

Edited on Nov 18, 2014 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:50 PM
IamSnowman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Baldies 2 (18)

Nice set. I flew in and visited your pond last year and had a great time . I hope to get down for a visit again this year if the activity picks up.

Michael

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:52 PM
acjd
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Baldies 2 (18)

kosin wrote:
... is there really a relation between large number of people having a bad influence on the number of eagles?

I believe so. Absolutely

The first live BE I ever took a picture of was in a tree on a low limb in the low trees peacefully eating with maybe 2 or 3 people watching. You could almost reach up to him. They would fly up and down the lot. My second picture was one of those, in my face, very low, pretty much full frame with a tiny lens. I was amazed that there were live eagles in the lower 48. They had been all dead because of DDT. Today, they sit way up in the high trees, so far away that you could never get a full frame picture with any lens. I do not believe that the number of people, and where they sit in the trees or their numbers, are not related.

I know some people might think its all about food supply, weather, etc. But you can't convince me that human encroachment in LARGE numbers does not have something to do with it. We are not talking a small increase here but groups of, I know no other word, but "tourists" who ask what you are looking at. The numbers are ever increasing and now annual "eagle" days and heavy advertising, I believe, will be their doom, not their savior.

But I am not a naturalist, or any other fancy kind of scientist. Just an observation.

Then again, I, nor any one else, has any more right to enjoy nature than these crowds. My only observation is that the sheer numbers of people, I believe, do have an impact.

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:12 PM
Chris B.
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Baldies 2 (18)

KCollett wrote:
Good set Ted. Nice to have such opportunities close to home (very close in your case ) I'm guessing the cammowear (for people and lenses) is somewhat irrelevant in that environment.

If someone made a concrete color camo for there, it would be more relevant...

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:51 PM
kosin
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Baldies 2 (18)

acjd wrote:
I believe so. Absolutely

The first live BE I ever took a picture of was in a tree on a low limb in the low trees peacefully eating with maybe 2 or 3 people watching. You could almost reach up to him. They would fly up and down the lot. My second picture was one of those, in my face, very low, pretty much full frame with a tiny lens. I was amazed that there were live eagles in the lower 48. They had been all dead because of DDT. Today, they sit way up in the high trees, so far
...Show more

I may agree with you on the point that eagles used to land on the trees, along the parking lot, more often back then but…

Last weekend, I was amazed when two eagles, on the two separate occasions, chose to grab the fish at the very close distance to the group of 30+ photographers (standing on the shore, not by the fence). At one point eagle was no more than 8 feet away from us. I wish, I had my iPhone ready I've never seen this before, not at the front of that many people at least...

Were they desperate to get the food or simply they don't care about the crowds that much as we think?

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:53 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Baldies 2 (18)

4, 5, 10, and 14 are my picks Ted. So the numbers have reversed and how you do photographer portraits :-}. When will they fly? I hope they don't fight...

Morris

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:51 PM
jp80mc

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Baldies 2 (18)

Great series of Ted's pond art works,love it!

Nov 19, 2014 at 03:32 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Baldies 2 (18)

kosin wrote:
Some guy with a coffee truck would make a lot of $$$ on the weekends there for sure

On the other note…
Sadly, I don't have the experience of the "golden" days because I found out about the location of your pond in 2009. At that time, is was already crowded. Luckily, at this location there is "almost" no way for anybody to get really close to the birds to disturb them. I say almost because there were some nutjobs in the past, trying to reach the island but this was quickly resolved. My point is, and please do not take
...Show more

Thank you and yes they would.

Ted

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:10 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Baldies 2 (18)

acjd wrote:
I believe so. Absolutely

The first live BE I ever took a picture of was in a tree on a low limb in the low trees peacefully eating with maybe 2 or 3 people watching. You could almost reach up to him. They would fly up and down the lot. My second picture was one of those, in my face, very low, pretty much full frame with a tiny lens. I was amazed that there were live eagles in the lower 48. They had been all dead because of DDT. Today, they sit way up in the high trees, so far
...Show more

---------------------------------------------

Chris B. wrote:
If someone made a concrete color camo for there, it would be more relevant...

kosin wrote:
I may agree with you on the point that eagles used to land on the trees, along the parking lot, more often back then but…

Last weekend, I was amazed when two eagles, on the two separate occasions, chose to grab the fish at the very close distance to the group of 30+ photographers (standing on the shore, not by the fence). At one point eagle was no more than 8 feet away from us. I wish, I had my iPhone ready I've never seen this before, not at the front of that many people at least...

Were they desperate to
...Show more

morris wrote:
4, 5, 10, and 14 are my picks Ted. So the numbers have reversed and how you do photographer portraits :-}. When will they fly? I hope they don't fight...

Morris

jp80mc wrote:

Ted ellis wrote:
Thank you and yes they would.

Ted

Thank you all very much

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:19 AM
DonGut
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Baldies 2 (18)

Certainly there a lot of excellent images coming from there.
Doesn't anybody work down there anymore?!!!!!!!
Don

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM
KWeck
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Baldies 2 (18)

Beauty of a set Ted... I remember 300+ being there and 15 photographers Now we have visitors from the other side of the world coming and in bus loads...

Stay well Ted,
Kurt

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:18 PM
David Leask
• • • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Baldies 2 (18)

Great set Ted, I wish I could visit and get my own
David

Nov 19, 2014 at 03:41 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Baldies 2 (18)

jp80mc wrote:

Thank you

Nov 19, 2014 at 05:54 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Baldies 2 (18)

jjoejr wrote:
Geezus Krist!....4..5..12..14..15 are gorgeous. This ought to be against the law. For you to take these photos and I can't. Where exactly is this?

Many thanks

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:47 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Baldies 2 (18)

kmunroe wrote:
nicely done Ted.. looks like all your friends shoot the big whites

Thank you Kenny

Nov 19, 2014 at 07:56 PM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Baldies 2 (18)

DonGut wrote:
Certainly there a lot of excellent images coming from there.
Doesn't anybody work down there anymore?!!!!!!!
Don

I do.

Nov 20, 2014 at 06:56 AM
raymondjbarlow
• • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Baldies 2 (18)

very much enjoyed Ted... I missed the trip south this yr, maybe next time.

Nov 20, 2014 at 07:14 AM
Ted ellis
• • • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Baldies 2 (18)

IamSnowman wrote:
Nice set. I flew in and visited your pond last year and had a great time . I hope to get down for a visit again this year if the activity picks up.

Michael

Thanks Michael. I hope you can too.

Nov 21, 2014 at 07:53 AM
Howard Kearley
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Baldies 2 (18)

I am one of these that thought it was your pond

super shots

Howard.

Nov 21, 2014 at 08:18 AM
       end

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.