New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 7DII actual buffer size

aekurth

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7DII actual buffer size

The buffer size of the 7DII is advertised as 25 raw images. However, the number of images available in the buffer shown in my viewfinder never exceeds 21. I’m aware that I can get more than 21 shots if I have a very fast card that is able to clear some buffer space by writing to the card. If the buffer size is 25, the buffer should hold 25 shots in addition to those being written to the card. Is anyone with a 7DII able to view more than 21 raw shots available in their viewfinder?

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:21 AM
NormanPCN
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7DII actual buffer size

The buffer space listed on my 7D has always varied by the ISO setting. Less for higher ISO. I would assume Canon is quoting ISO 100 specs.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:40 AM
aekurth

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7DII actual buffer size

My 7DII doesn't have 25 shots available at any ISO. It does go lower than 21 at other ISOs but never reaches the 25 number that Canon advertises.

Nov 18, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Thang
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7DII actual buffer size

I get 30-31 raw only w lexar 1066x cf cards. That number in viewfinder never shown anything higher than 21

Nov 18, 2014 at 05:32 PM
amalgam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7DII actual buffer size

check the NR and High ISO NR settings. They will affect the buffer size as well.

Nov 18, 2014 at 05:52 PM
SeattleBirdMan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7DII actual buffer size

You need a UDMA 7 CF card to get the full 25 buffer. Are you using a UDMA 6 card?

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:49 PM
pecos

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7DII actual buffer size

I did quite a bit of testing with different speed cards and trying to figure out the buffer on the 7DII. The conclusion I came to is that the numbers published by Canon in the manual assume a write speed of the slower card is clearing the buffer at 30-35MB/s. The faster "UDMA 7" card is more like 85-95MB/s. You also have another consideration: image size. Your subject will also affect how many images you can get "in the buffer." Worse case I found was a slow card that would only get 20 RAW shots before the frame rate slowed. You can see the details in the Canon 7DII SD and CF card comparison.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:28 PM
aekurth

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7DII actual buffer size

I haven’t found any setting that increases the 7DII buffer to 25 raw shots that Canon advertises. The biggest remaining shots number I can produce in my viewfinder window is 21. My 1D and 5D cameras match the buffer size that they are supposed to have.
I’m aware that I can take more shots before the buffer is full if I have a faster card. However, the speed of the card doesn’t increase the buffer size. A buffer inside a digital camera consists of RAM memory which temporarily holds the image information before it is written out to storage card.
If I have a bucket that takes a gallon and a half of water to fill because half a gallon of water leaks out while it is filling I wouldn’t conclude that the gallon bucket (buffer) holds 1.5 gallons.
Buffer size was a factor in my decision to purchase this camera so I’m not happy that I didn’t get what I paid for.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:35 PM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7DII actual buffer size

^^ I am not sure what you are looking at for specs. Canon's specs for "maximum burst" are posted below.

I see "18" for RAW+JPEG. And "24" for RAW. And yes, I would assume that "maximum burst" includes some writing of the buffer.

If you click through to the tests that Pecos posted, you will see that you can write up to about 121 RAW in 30 seconds with the right card, and 257 JPEG. That sounds like a pretty good capacity! Luckily Canon's assumptions about card speed, etc. are very conservative.

I sold my Nikon D7100 with a 5 shot RAW+JPEG buffer to buy the 7DII. It has an amazing buffer in comparison to the D7100.

pecos wrote:
You can see the details in the Canon 7DII SD and CF card comparison.

Edited on Nov 19, 2014 at 01:59 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:51 PM
aekurth

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7DII actual buffer size

Thanks for setting me straight - mmurph. Apparently the references I remembered for buffer size were from sources other than Canon. When I searched the internet today, I couldn't find a reference by Canon that specified the buffer size.

Nov 19, 2014 at 01:25 PM
mmurph
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7DII actual buffer size

I had the same question as you when I first looked at my "available shots" indicator. Looking at it on my camera right now, it shows a 12 shot buffer for Raw+JPEG.

I was also unsure whether it was worth spending the money on faster CF cards, as I already had the fastest SD cards. After Pecos posted his tests above, I bought 2, 32 GB Lexar 1066x CF cards. Along with the SanDisk 95 MBs SD cards, those two should give me the best possible buffer performance!

+++

I still have to test to see how different options affect performance. Like writing RAW to 1 card and JPEG to the other. I have heard different opinions about the overhead on the controllers and DIGIC, etc.

I am heading down to Florida December 9, it will be a lot more fun testing those things down there than her in Michigan with the snow and cold.

Even if I just go down and test the camera and take 0 real pictures, it would be better than being her in Michigan.

Here is a link to the specifications page at the Canon USA web site:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d_mark_ii#Specifications

Edited on Nov 19, 2014 at 01:58 PM · View previous versions

Nov 19, 2014 at 01:47 PM
Methodical
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7DII actual buffer size

Thang wrote:
I get 30-31 raw only w lexar 1066x cf cards. That number in viewfinder never shown anything higher than 21

What size cards?

Thanks

Nov 19, 2014 at 01:57 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7DII actual buffer size

With the Sandisk 64 gb 1066 speed CF card, I'm getting around 40 images before the stutter starts. That's fairly optimized for maximum frames (no various options set that would impede the shutter, such as focus priority, etc.). That said, the number in the viewfinder is always much lower than that. I do not think that the number displayed is supposed to anticipate your card's speed, and merely tells you what is available in free buffer memory at the moment.

I also have a Komputerbay 1066 card (64gb) that does about 90 percent as well, and cost me about half as much.

One thing 10fps will do for you is make you think 64gb isn't a lot of memory.

Nov 19, 2014 at 03:29 PM
tiggy
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7DII actual buffer size

Oops - meant Lexar.

Nov 19, 2014 at 03:30 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.