Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

W4w3

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

Hi!

I'm looking for circular polarizing and ND filters for my lenses and have none of these to start with. So I'm interested in buying a complete, future proof collection of high quality filters. I have no clearly determined budget but generally I’m willing to pay a little extra for a filter that doesn’t affect image quality significantly.

I’ll start by quickly going through my relevant gear. Fairly recently I bought a D800 body and, as for the lenses, have

- a Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8G VR Micro (62mm filter thread),

- a Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8G (77mm filter thread) and

- a Nikkor AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G (no filter thread).

I'm also probably going to buy the Nikkor AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8G VR II (77mm filter thread) at some point, so the central filter size for me would be 77mm and then a step-up adapter for the 62mm thread would allow me to use the same filter with the micro Nikkor.

My first question considers this setup. Which regular ND and Circular polarizing filters would you recommend for me? Could I get by with only, say, one ND1000 (a.k.a. the Big Stopper) or would you suggest buying a set of less dark ones? Also, I've noted that the prices for step-up adapters vary from a couple of dollars to tens of dollars, so I would appreciate it if anyone could tell whether there’s a point in buying the more expensive ones or if the cheaper alternatives do the job as well.

Then, as for the real problem part, the filters for the 14-24mm: has anyone got experience with these? What would you recommend? I did some quick research on the matter but found only a few written reviews on the filter sets for this lens with somewhat ambiguous conclusions. Also Youtube doesn’t help much. In addition, I’m aware that a polarizing filter on this wide a lens could cause the sky to appear unevenly colored but I probably would use the polarizing filter on this lens mainly to see through the reflections in water, such as in water fall pictures.

Apart from the separate solutions, i.e., a regular filters for rest of my lenses and another set for the 14-24mm, is there a filter set on the market that I could apply for both the lens without the filter thread and my other lenses? Having not heard of one I’m skeptical for this type of solution but it would be the optimal setup as I would avoid buying two types of filters for my different lenses.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nov 18, 2014 at 02:08 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

Marumi for the polarizer.

Kent in SD

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:08 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

for polarizers i've been using the Tiffen Digital HT CP. less light loss with equivelent polarizing.

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:24 PM
W4w3

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

Two23 wrote:
Marumi for the polarizer.

Kent in SD

Thanks! Any references for your recommendation?

Nov 19, 2014 at 09:54 AM
W4w3

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

sjms wrote:
for polarizers i've been using the Tiffen Digital HT CP. less light loss with equivelent polarizing.

Thanks for your input! Have you read any reviews about the product? Links?

Nov 19, 2014 at 09:55 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Filters for the Nikon Holy Trinity (and more)

no, i use it. there's one reference

i have a B+W and use the tiffen HT over it.

Nov 19, 2014 at 09:57 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.