New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

bedhead

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

I'm traveling to the Northern Yucatan next month and am greatly excited.
The Sony A7 and a Cannon 24 2.8 SSC will go along with me to shoot the ruins. I also have a GH2 body but prefer the A7 for landscape which is mostly what i shoot.

However, I don't want to miss a lifetime opportunity to shoot tropical birds and wildlife while I'm down there.

Would you get a tele lens for the GH2 2X crop factor, or would you get a perhaps 'better' (but shorter) lens for the A7 and only carry one body?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 17, 2014 at 04:31 PM
spork3127
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

I'd like to hear what others have to say as well. I'm going to the Cancun area in March.

Nov 24, 2014 at 03:08 PM
JohnC
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

The best wildlife is underwater, I don't recall seeing much above ground except for mosquitos and I've been to the Yucatan four times since 1999. You would have to travel south of Tulum to the Sian Kaan Biosphere to see birds and wildlife. There is a turtle sanctuary on Isla Mujueres. I thought Costa Rica had a lot more in the way of wildlife.
If you are going for the ruins rent a car and go early to get to Tulum and Chichen Itza before the bus crowds arrive. Places like Coba and Uxmal are less crowded and you can still climb some of the pyramids. Don't forget the colonial cities like Merida and the fresh water caves (cenotes). Have fun.

Nov 25, 2014 at 07:34 PM
bedhead

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

Thanks for the note John. I think I've been DELUDING myself with pictures of birds and wildlife actually taken in CR. ;-) We will be in a car scooting from city to city and ruin to ruin having a good time with a WA lens.

I'm not going to kill myself taking long glass.

That said, the following link to a 'Crocodile Adventure' has some of the finer text I have ever read:

"If you are really lucky on the night crocodile adventure your guide will successfully wrestle one into the boat where guests can get up close and personal and capture photos of their adventure. "

wtf?

http://www.hotelcelestevida.com/en/Crocodile_Adventure.html

Nov 26, 2014 at 02:36 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

For ruins try Ek Balam. It is far, far less crowded than other spots. It is a newer excavation with paint and cartouche on the walls. I loved the colors of Valladolid. They painted several streets for a papal visit. I took a family vacation in 2000 so the camera was a primitive Sony Mavica (4 meg) with floppy memory. Tulum is very picturesque but very crowded. Along with Chichen Itza they get mostly day trippers from Cancun. go early or late.

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:14 PM
sjordan93436
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Northern Yucatan Kit advice

For ruins try Ek Balam. It is far, far less crowded than other spots. It is a newer excavation with paint and cartouche on the walls. I loved the colors of Valladolid. They painted several streets for a papal visit. I took a family vacation in 2000 so the camera was a primitive Sony Mavica (4 meg) with floppy memory. Tulum is very picturesque but very crowded. Along with Chichen Itza they get mostly day trippers from Cancun. go early or late.

Dec 04, 2014 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.