New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2014 · Talk to me: The 50L

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Talk to me: The 50L

I'm a wedding and family photog. Currently using a Canon 50 1.4 but I'm lusting for an upgrade to the 1.2

I'm not overly impressed with the color rendition from the 1.4, so is 1.2 better in that regard? I find the 1.4 lacks a lot of contrast and color, which is sort of fixable in post, but I do a lot of batch edited, and the shots with the 50 do require special attention compared to say, the 24-70 II.

Not overally concerned with focus speed since 95% of the time, my subjects don't move. But focus accuracy is important.

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:50 PM
preferredcam

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Talk to me: The 50L

The Photozone write up on the 50L doesn't speak to highly on the 50L - soft in the center - lots of CA - list goes on... I'm going keep the 50 1.4

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:57 PM
musingclouds
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Talk to me: The 50L

Depends on your copy. Anything after UX date code should be fine. I'm guessing Photozone had a bad copy with back focusing.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:01 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Talk to me: The 50L

musingclouds wrote:
Depends on your copy. Anything after UX date code should be fine. I'm guessing Photozone had a bad copy with back focusing.

But focusing isn't the issue- and neither the 50/1.4 USM nor the 50/1.2L (nor the 50/1.8 II or any of the Nikon 50's) have great wide-open contrast. The 50L is actually a bit better than the 50/1.4, but if it's wide-open contrast you're looking for, Sigma is your lens house of choice.

(of course, the discontinued 50/1.4 EX is a challenge to get focused and wider apertures, while the 50 Art doesn't have it's 'look' or the character of the 50L and is significantly larger and heavier)

I think I'll upgrade my 50/1.4 USM, which I prefer to shoot stopped down a bit due to it's excellent (and class leading) sharpness along with small size and low weight, when Canon gets around to introducing a 50 with the same standards that they used for their wide-angle IS triplet.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:07 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Talk to me: The 50L

Love my Sigma 50mm art. I picked it over the Canon due to the sharpness, superior AF consistency, and contrast wide open. Color and rendering are good, and I miss less shots with this lens. It is a beast though.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:14 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Talk to me: The 50L

Haven't used either one, but I've been looking at the Sigma 50 art or 50L to purchase. Sigma 50 art is sharper with higher contrast and a little more pop. But there is something magic about the 50L shots. I think your clients would be happy with the results from either lens. Personally, I'm leaning toward the 50L as it's smaller, lighter, weather sealed, slightly faster, and I like the images it produces. The Sigma is as big as a zoom. No thanks for a 50mm.

Edited on Nov 17, 2014 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:27 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Talk to me: The 50L

Ugg, maybe I'll look at re-buying a 35L

I don't particularly want to pay an extra net $800 for very similar results with the 50L.

I need to brach out my kit (currently 24-70 ii, 50 1.4 and 70-200). No interest in the 85L, and could never get the hang of the 135L. If the 50 1.2 isn't that great, it doesn't leave me with much to pick from haha

Edit: no interest in the Sigma.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:28 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Talk to me: The 50L

Well, in the 35 field, there is also the Sigma 35 1.4 art and 35 f/2 IS. Both are highly regarded. The 35L will probably be replaced in the next year, but who knows. It is still a fine lens, though I think the Sigma represents a better value (and wins on optics), though the 35L seems to win out on AF consistency. The 35 f/2 would give you an extra stop and IS over the 24-70. Not a bad deal either since they dropped the price.

Personally, I feel like the 50L shots I see are a clear step up over the Canon 50 1.4. I think the 50 art or 50L would be my choice for a fast option in that lineup, though some folks prefer the 35mm field of view.

Perhaps look at your shots taken with the 24-70, see what your most popular focal length is, and get a fast prime there.

Edited on Nov 17, 2014 at 02:37 PM · View previous versions

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:34 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Talk to me: The 50L

I have both the 50/1.2L and 50/1.4. I usually shoot them wide open or down one stop, and I have no problem with their IQ.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:36 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Talk to me: The 50L

From my experience with both lenses, the 50L has better color wide open to about f/2-2.5. Both have very high contrast at around f/3.5 and smaller, as you would expect from a big aperture lens. I prefer the contrast of the 50L. The big advantage, besides the 1/2 stop, is the beautiful glow the 50L has at wide apertures. I consider 50L my ideal lens for dreamy portraits and small groups -- wide open it is reminiscent of old 19th century photos -- sharp subject and diminishing focus on surroundings.

I have the 50/2.5 macro for when I want truly outstanding sharpness and contrast from a 50mm, otherwise, it's the 50L for me. I was happy with the 50/1.4 until I got the L.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:52 PM
garyvot
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Talk to me: The 50L

In general, I find micro contrast and colors are excellent on the 50L, as is the quality of the bokeh; all better than the 50 1.4 at wider apertures. Both lenses are terrific stopped down.

Leaving aside the reputed focus shift in the 50L, at or near wide open you do see a general softening of the image due to uncorrected spherical aberration, and there is quite a bit of longitudinal chromatic aberration (cyan/magenta smearing commonly called "bokeh fringing").

The other qualities of the lens (bokeh, contast, colors) make it quite appealing optically once stopped down slightly. The last copy I had I tended to shoot at f/1.6 rather than wide open for improved sharpness (by comparison, I usually shoot my 1.4 at 1.8 or slower).

Depending on your tolerance for character in a lens, you may love it or not... The absolute sharpness crown goes to Sigma Art (which I've also used), but the L has nicer rendering.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:55 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Talk to me: The 50L

Go for the real 50L: 1.0 ;-)

Nov 17, 2014 at 04:55 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Talk to me: The 50L

The 50L has created many of my all-time favourite images. I simply love the focal range as a solitary walk-around or event/wedding lens.

However, it also likely leads in the "most unexpected disappointments" category, even on exclusively 1-series bodies.

I've since moved on to a Zeiss 50mm, which I love, despite it being manual-focus. I think that may make an additional strong statement about my feelings towards the 50L.

Nov 17, 2014 at 05:09 PM
big country
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Talk to me: The 50L

Love the 50L. i haven't come to terms to sell it yet, but i am liking the sigma 50 1.4 more.

Nov 17, 2014 at 05:18 PM
sb in ak
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Talk to me: The 50L

kaycephoto wrote:
The 50L has created many of my all-time favourite images. I simply love the focal range as a solitary walk-around or event/wedding lens.

However, it also likely leads in the "most unexpected disappointments" category, even on exclusively 1-series bodies.

I've since moved on to a Zeiss 50mm, which I love, despite it being manual-focus. I think that may make an additional strong statement about my feelings towards the 50L.

Zeiss 50 1.4 planar or f/2 macro?

I don't own the 50L, but I have the 85L, which definitely also falls into the "most unexpected disappointments" category. I mean, regardless of the lens, when you're shooting wide open, you're not always going to nail it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 06:34 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Talk to me: The 50L

sb in ak wrote:
Zeiss 50 1.4 planar or f/2 macro?

I don't own the 50L, but I have the 85L, which definitely also falls into the "most unexpected disappointments" category. I mean, regardless of the lens, when you're shooting wide open, you're not always going to nail it.

Sorry, I have the 50mm Makro-Planar f/2.

PS. I've had much better results from using both versions of the 85L wide-open, relative to shooting the 50L at f/1.6. While the 85 prime is slow & deliberate to focus, it's actually incredibly accurate with peripheral AF points.

Nov 17, 2014 at 06:53 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Talk to me: The 50L

My 2 copies of the 50L had focus shift issues. Both excellent wide open.

good read

http://www.aravind.ca/Reviews?Canon50_f12/focus_shift

Nov 17, 2014 at 07:01 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Talk to me: The 50L

Both my 50 1.2L and 50 1.4 USM exhibited plenty of coma when shot at or near wide open. So both are poor for night landscapes or city streets with points of light. The 50 1.4 USM also suffers heavy barrel distortion focused at 3 meters or nearer. However, in my case, the 50 1.2L was a notch sharper at F 1.4 to F4 and focused a lot more reliably in low light. However, I really love the L optic's color and rendering and I mainly use it from F 1.2 to 2.0 for the dreamy defocused background and mellow color rendering.

Nov 17, 2014 at 07:09 PM
shutterbug guy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Talk to me: The 50L

I love my 50L and am a big fanboy of them.

The lens has a "look" none of my other lenses have.

Nov 17, 2014 at 08:05 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Talk to me: The 50L

+ Unique bokeh wide open
+ Bulky and heavy but therefore well built
+ Great performer without hot spots in infrared (one main reason why I keep it)

- Not very sharp wide open
- Only center AF works reasonable well at apertures wider open than f/2. Lens microfocus adjustment is a must with DSLR. My keeper rate increased dramatically with focus peaking on Sony A7R camera with this lens.

Good lens but now there are other alternatives out there (Sigma Art for example). At f/2, the Canon 50/1.2 L cannot even come close in sharpness, contrast to the Leica Summicron 50/2 lens (using the latter on A7R).

Nov 17, 2014 at 08:27 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.