New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

Paul Mo
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

Hi. I think I am either incredibly dense or that perhaps it can't be done.

I am in M mode and set my ISO at 3200, 1/250th, f1.4.

Then I set the 5D3 to record separately - RAW to CF and small jpegs to SD.

Then I register those settings to C1 and turn the 5D3 off thinking whenever I choose C1 those exact settings will appear.

But, I only want those settings in certain circumstances so I power on and turn the dial to C1 to double check and those settings are indeed intact. All is good.

Now I go back to M and set Auto Switch cards, RAW to CF - ignore/don't write to SD - my usual thing. I tool around with settings and take some pictures... then I flick the dial around to C1.

ISO, s/speed and aperture are as registered but writing preference - RAW to CF and small jpeg to SD has been dismissed - it is now RAW to CF only. Why is the 5D3 changing registered writing preferences?

What, if anything, am I doing wrong?

Thanks.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:03 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

So it would seem the 5D3 is limited to registering basic shooting information - aperture, shutter speed and iso.

I can't get it to remember record function/card selection at all.

Which is either dumb of me, or the 5D3's design.

Firmware update?

Nov 18, 2014 at 06:58 AM
boingyman
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

Hmm never did try that since I'm usually always on RAW + RAW. Someone more knowledge could probably chime in. I know flash settings remain intact.

Nov 18, 2014 at 12:24 PM
paulfeng
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

I'm pretty sure that autofocus setups also are saved to the custom settings. It is more than just Tv, Av, and ISO.

Based on your observations, it would seem that card writing settings are not, and it does not surprise me that there are some global settings not subject to custom settings sets.

It would be nice to have a list of what settings are saved and which are not. I have not scoured the manual to see if such a list exists there.

Nov 18, 2014 at 02:49 PM
super35
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

The record function/card selection is not a parameter stored in the custom settings of Canon DSLRs. It's not just the 5D3, they all work the same way.

I think the problem is this (example):
You have the camera set to raw on card 1, jpeg on card 2 in memory C1. Then you start the camera with no card in slot 1, the camera logic will not know what to do. I am not saying this couldn't be dealt with in the OS of the camera, nor am I apologizing for Canon, I am simply saying I think it works this way because of the example I give here.

Edit: On a separate but related issue. Magic Lantern for the 5D3, has the ability to tell the camera to always record to the CF slot if a card is available, instead of switching to the SD if you pull the CF card and close the door.

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:19 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D3 Custom Settings and Registering

Cheers guys. Not super important but it would be nice/convenient to be able to also set writing preferences under C1, etc.

Nov 18, 2014 at 10:52 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.