FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Usefulness of Yelp?

kaycephoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Usefulness of Yelp?

Subject line says it all - would love to hear some general experiences with Yelp from wedding photographers (especially in major cities).

While I don't think having listings all over the place can ever hurt, I'm not a huge fan of spending time updating/monitoring a bunch of listings everywhere.. Plus, Yelp gives me the impression that it has a cheap user-base. Would love to be corrected if I'm wrong.

Pros? It might help (some photographers) with being noticed within a particular locale, especially with search engine scoring.

Nov 17, 2014 at 07:39 AM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Usefulness of Yelp?

My understand was that Yelp was more used for picking places to eat.

And to be honest, Trip Advisor has kind of taken over in that regard.

I personally wouldn't spend any time tinkering with it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:24 AM
tgillespie
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Usefulness of Yelp?

Its not the first place a bride is going to head when she's searching for a wedding photographer. Even then, is a bride that's coming from Yelp going to be your target client? Not saying it isn't, but evaluate those things before dumping time and money into it.

In the past two years, we've received a few family photo inquiries from Yelp, but no brides that we know of. Like Zach said, its geared more for the food and hospitality industry.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:27 AM
Suwail
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Usefulness of Yelp?

Yelp has been calling me time and again selling me a better spot on their app/site.

I keep on telling them that I use yelp to decide where to spend $30 for Lunch and not $4,000+ for a wedding photographer.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:30 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Usefulness of Yelp?

I wouldn't pay for Yelp advertising but if you can get your clients to write good reviews on Yelp - why not

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:38 AM
JR Magat
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Usefulness of Yelp?

I have a Yelp business account - just the free one, and you'd be surprised where I've gotten a handful of wedding inquiries through it this year

I also just used Yelp for restaurant reviews personally, so I was surprised by it and updated my business page with more photos. They do try to have you advertise, which I declined, so with the free account... it's worth putting up anyways

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:42 AM
Inku Yo
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Usefulness of Yelp?

I use it all the time to find restaurant reviews.

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:44 AM
rondphoto
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Usefulness of Yelp?

I have a few (3-5) reviews on my Yelp page.

Most of the time couples take the initiative to review me on Wedding Wire. I don't bother asking them to review me on Yelp as well. I think it MAY be good for SEO stuff/search listings just to have a business page, but I wouldn't sink money into it.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:54 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Usefulness of Yelp?

Here in the bay area where Yelp first started many people use Yelp for everything. I get a number of inquires from Yelp but don't pay Yelp for advertising.

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:02 PM
ohsnaphappy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Usefulness of Yelp?

I think it will really depend on what part of the country you live in. Yelp has not caught on in the south at all yet but I think it's being used regularly and other parts of the country

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:04 PM
kaycephoto
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Usefulness of Yelp?

Thanks for weighing in everyone. Here in the frozen tundra known as Toronto, Yelp is definitely known for restaurant reviews & not much else.. which is why I was pretty surprised when a website evaluation deducted points from my overall site "score" for not being listed on enough local directories - Yelp being one of the major ones.

If I had 3 of me, I'd list my info on every site possible in the world - and then deal with all the random inquiries I get. unfortunately, my patience/time is lacking so I think I'll pass. Thanks for all the help!

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:33 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.