Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2014 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

^^^^
Very nice (at least it looks nice in my iPhone)
But I'm not sure David (op) would want that sort of effect indoors at an exhibition

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:56 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
^^^^
Very nice (at least it looks nice in my iPhone)
But I'm not sure David (op) would want that sort of effect indoors at an exhibition

Well it's different

I've decided the best thing it to take a LR equipped laptop and do some testing on site. I can easily shoot a grey card and see what sort of WB I'm dealing with then hopefully use a custom WB and filter my flash accordingly.

I don't think it should be too hard. Thanks all.

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:58 AM
Photonadave
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

Please report back on how the shoot went. Sounds like a job for a set of CC filters!

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:44 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

Photonadave wrote:
Please report back on how the shoot went. Sounds like a job for a set of CC filters!

I have a complete set for my flashguns but with RAW I haven't needed to filter on-camera for years (since film really)

Will try and post some results in a few days hopefully

Will also be the first proper job for my new 16-35 f4 IS so I will be able to test that out also

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
tonyespofoto
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · What colour are sodium bulbs?

I have had some luck with this. Unfortunately, I don't know what type of sodium vapor lights I have been shooting under. I am using Canon equipment. I set the white balance to Tungsten. I use a 580EX flash, with a Lumequest 80/20. I use a 1/2 CTO filter on the flash. I found full CTO a bit too warm. The flash head is aimed at the ceiling, some 50-60 feet away. I am at varying distances from my subjects, anywhere from 5 - 35 feet. I am trying to achieve 2 goals here. The first is to have a reasonably accurate color balance on my subjects and the second is to have a reasonable color balance for the background. I shot TV set @ 1/60 and ISO 800. My aperture hovered around f/2.8. The only places where inaccuracies crept in was when I photographed near windows allowing daylight in. Here, the subjects were OK but the background went unacceptably blue. Under conditions like this, with varying light from the flash and varying available light, a grey card is of little help. It is unlikely that dead neutral grey card accuracy, either from your subjects or from the background is possible. I did get acceptable color balance which could be tweaked from frame to frame in ACR. It was not necessary to tweak every frame, only some of them. I picked an ISO that allowed the background to average about the same exposure as the flash. I have used this procedure in several different venues with pretty good success. I arrive early and spend a 1/2 hour testing.

Nov 18, 2014 at 03:16 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.