New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

MeDaniel

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Dear all that have experience travel to these country.

What is more important lens to have when you travel to these city & country for the first time?

UWA or Telephoto lens? I am battling myself about this decision. light weight or Faster glass

I will be carry both my Sony A7s/r camera with me. At the moment I am thinking to bring these 3 lens & 1 flash.

FE16-35 F4
FE24-70 F4
FE55 F1.8

My concern is the lens I have that I don't bring. Would I have miss anything without these lens?
FE35 F/2.8
ZA85 F/1.4
ZA135 F/1.8
ZA24-70 F2.8
Samyang 14mm F/2.8

Thank you in advance for your advice.

Nov 17, 2014 at 01:56 AM
GeorgeHudetz

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

When I was in Vienna, I was struck by the amazing architectural detail in the many older buildings, and enjoyed shooting such detail. The problem is that most of the interesting detail is several stories up. I was able to do OK with my mid-range zoom (75mm equiv), but I've always wanted to go back with a telephoto zoom or long prime.

So, if you think you would enjoy that type of photography, I'd bring the 135.

Otherwise, I'd say you have the right three lenses.

Nov 17, 2014 at 02:25 AM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Okay, the bits of Vienna you will want to photograph will mostly be within that main central area from Stephansdom to the Hofburg and would probably also take in the Opera and the twin museums across the road and probably Shönbrunn. The best interior shots are in Schönbrunn, which is rather like Versailles in France. Fortunately, the interior of that building is quite light and airy, much the same as Versailles. The A7S is your friend here.

Prague's best sights are in the area between and encroaching on the Charles Bridge and Wenceslas Square on one side and Hradcany Castle on the other.

I did all this with an OM 28mm f/3.5, a 50mm f/1.4 and an 85mm f/2. I would agree with the previous poster: if I was doing it again, I would leave the 85mm behind and take my OM 135mm f/2.8 instead. I probably wouldn't go any longer than that.

The answer to your question, from my point of view though, is that for every shot you take with a telephoto lens, you will take ten with a wide angle. Personally, I would ditch the 16-35 and take the Samyang 14mm with you instead. When you go wide, you want to go really wide.

Both of these cities have combinations of wide open spaces, like Graben in Vienna or the area around the Vlatava in Prague. Neither is as bombastically large as Paris and they can also be quite pokey in some places, especially Prague on the east side of the river, and no matter how wide your lens, it will not be wide enough!

Travel photography is about traveling light and zooming with your feet. Don't sweat on having exactly the right lens for every situation. You can't do it and you will drive yourself crazy wishing you had brought something with you, no matter how you pack. Take a few primes and make the shot work.

A word of advice though - and this is at a range of 15 years - watch your gear. Prague, especially the area around the Charles Bridge, used to be notorious for petty thieves. I'm not sure how it is these days though. Central Vienna is not a problem. Never has been in the dozen or so times I've been there. Just take normal precautions.

Nov 17, 2014 at 04:39 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

I might be odd, but in these two cities-- which are beautiful (and full of tourists)-- I tend to go light on the actual photography. They've been photographed so many times, and in so many of the same ways, that I'm less interested. I also have an aversion to being one of ten thousand people all in the same place photographing something... instead I'll just appreciate the space/view/moment.

None of this is to say that new angles on old classics, or new views of a heavily-viewed city can't exist. But unless I have a specific goal or assignment in these places, I don't do it.

That said, I'd prefer classic street-type shooting in both these places. For me that's mostly easy-wide (28-35mm), with a tiny bit of UWA, <20mm. On a trip like this I might shoot 1-5 frames beyond 50mm if I carry such a lens; for that reason I wouldn't carry such a lens. I'd take primes and a small camera. Probably 28-35mm equiv would be enough. I would then pick either an UWA or a normal prime, but might never use either of these.

Prague is still a pick-pocketing hot spot. Particularly around the Charles Bridge. I've still only ever been pick-pocketed in Ulan Bator, Mongolia... and all they got was my book of notes (which was actually quite important, but only to me!). The bars and restaurants in Prague are also thieves... but they do it in the open by charging you 2-3X the going rate for local dishes and beer!

Nov 17, 2014 at 09:43 AM
Uncle Mike
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

The question of what camera gear to take on a vacation is asked over and over again, and there is never a satisfactory answer because people have vastly different ideas about what gear is necessary to enjoy a vacation.

I, personally, would travel as light as possible, but other people live in fear that they will come across a photographic opportunity that the world has never seen before, that can only be captured with a full-frame DSLR and an f/2.8 zoom.

Nov 17, 2014 at 09:50 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

I was in Prague/Budapest this summer and your first lens setup looks good to me. You will be shooting a lot of wide architecture shots (21mm-ish) and some good street shooting (35mm-ish). Also a good call to bring your 50. I never felt I had a need for anything longer than 50mm really....

Nov 17, 2014 at 09:56 AM
john_edwards
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Me, I'd only take the 24-70/4. No camera case(wrist strap-always on). If you need more speed just roll up the ISO. From looking at your lens list I'll assume you don't shoot extra wide all the time and you can always use the pano feature if you want.

Just my 2 cents. Great places, enjoy your trip. John

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:13 AM
Abuttolph
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Of these cities, I have only been to Budapest. A wide angle is a must in Budapest as there are some very nice shots to be obtained along the river, as well as at other locations too. If you plan on taking interior photos, such as at the opera house or the market hall, you might want to have a faster lens than the 24-70, but maybe high ISO would be enough with your f4.

Enjoy your travels - sounds like a wonderful trip.

Nov 17, 2014 at 03:16 PM
MeDaniel

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Thieves situation always comes into my mind when visiting these tourist destination. Another reason for me to bring less gear with small cross body camera bag. It's also my vacation. I want to be able to enjoy it too I think I will stick with my original plan and make the best out of it. A7s low light is so great that I should have no fear shooting in dark I am more afraid of getting rob!! lol

I will reserve that 55mm when my wife wants a few portrait shot. And maybe I will sneak that 14mm in my suite case. Just incase I want to go back to one of these beautiful place to shoot a few pic.

Are Tripod allow in the public? Anyone know?

Nov 17, 2014 at 06:57 PM
garydavidjones
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Use ghetto camouflage such as funky but somewhat padded backpack to carry

camera/lens(es) around. Only take out in secure area. Dress down, do not dress

to impress. you may get unwanted attention. Have been to over 100 countries

on independent travel, tours, ocean cruises, river cruises, etc. Feel much more

secure with equipment in tour group. However, you're stuck with the group.

Last year nearly had my 5D3 stolen in downtown Berlin bus station area.

luckily was able stop thief, although the camera fell on to concrete (no damage).

Thief tried to unzip backpack. After that I put a small padlock on the zipper.

Travelling light is great but not if you miss once-in-a-lifetime photos due to lack of

needed equipment. Like to have secure in-room safes on ship or in hotels, so

I only take out what's needed for that day's shooting. Changing batteries is

a hassle. That's why in part I switched from Sigma SD cameras to Canon DSLRs.

Nov 17, 2014 at 07:48 PM
Abuttolph
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

The issue of thieves in tourist areas is so common, unfortunately. Watch out for people who may seem innocent and try to lure you into a situation where you will be pick pocketed, or otherwise stolen from. The thieves come up new ideas a lot, so be aware.

A few years ago, I purchased a few items from PacSafe to reduce the probability of having my stuff stolen. One item was a camera neck strap with a cable running through it, making it more difficult to cut and grab. The other was a daypack with added security features. As far as I know, no one tried to steal anything, so these item were not put to the test. They seem to be good products though.

I don't know the answer to your question about tripods. From what I understand, you can often use a monopod in places where tripods are not allowed.

Nov 17, 2014 at 08:54 PM
BenjaminSmith
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

If you enjoy candid street portraiture take the 135.

To others in the thread: I just returned from Machu Picchu. There isn't a photo conceivable that hasn't been taken at that site, but it isn't about being the first - it is about doing it yourself, for personal satisfaction. My $0.02.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Don't worry too much about thieves. Just be aware of your surroundings, look confident, and buy good insurance.

Nov 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM
J.D.
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

MeDaniel wrote:
Are Tripod allow in the public? Anyone know?

I'm thinking not a good idea. A Gorilla Pod is probably more useful. Not knowing what the public liability issues are like, I wouldn't bother anyway.

Considering how these threads usually pan out, there is some excellent advice here. I the long run though, you have to balance out enjoyment of your vacation and your desire to come back with the best images you can get.

On the issue of theft, don't sweat it too much. Just use your best judgement.

Have a great time.

Nov 18, 2014 at 01:24 AM
justruss
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Caveat: I have no data to back this up (but many continents, countries, and a share of shooting in unstable places, simmering war zones, and disputed territories, along with tourist centers-- far more dangerous!)...

But I'd wager that padlocks on zippers and pacsafe straps and the like do very little to stop actual theft, and may encourage it. The stealth thieves will lift your stuff when you're careless and turn away for that one moment, or they'll slice a pocket/fabric and give you a little bump... you might be 25 minutes away before you notice. The padlock basically screams: I have something you want in here! If you have a camera strap around your neck, they aren't going to slice it and try to slip the camera away before you notice; the pacsafe straps are more for show (or make it difficult to extricate oneself when the strap gets caught in the wooden cogs of a Dutch Windmill!).

The non-stealth thieves-- far, far more rare-- will mug you. Watch yourself in UB, Mongolia outside the city core at night. A buddy + bricks + two drunk guys = no more camera.

But let's not overstate the issue. In Vienna I'd barely even think about it. In Prague I'd simply pay attention to where my wallet is and try to avoid getting lost by myself on the outskirts of town, drunk, at night. If there's a moment your camera gear is ever at risk it's probably when you're lugging a bag of gear, setting up a shot on a tripod, and setting a lens/camera/bag down for that moment you get totally distracted by looking through the viewfinder/EVF.

I mostly travel alone. And I mostly end up out at night with a drink(s) and my camera.

Enjoy the trip. You're visiting some really beautiful cities. Make sure you wander into a few random bars/restaurants outside the city cores, where menus are NOT available in English-- and point to order some random stuff. It'll enrich your experience.

Nov 18, 2014 at 05:15 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

Vienna basically allows tripods anywhere on the streets but not in subway/train stations and not in most museums.
Living here if I had to travel light I'd just bring a 50mm that can focus relatively close.
If I had a little more room, I'd do the 20-28, 50, 135-200mm triplet. What is wide is wide and as previous posters said there is a lot of detail above street level.

Technically street photography requires permission (from the subjects), though in the tourist spaces nobody really cares. I've only gotten trouble with it once in the last 5 years and the consensus is that cops likely won't press charges if you delete the photo. On the other hand don't argue, because they are in the right if they complain. [A bit of background, this is a precedence ruling cribbed from German law but there was a big stink about it and all the armchair lawyers know about it. Strangely enough the original complaint was made after a random picture of a lawyer taken "for fun", so just taking pictures for your personal enjoyment is not an out.] If you get up to Kahlenberg then you might want all the focal length you can get. Also if you can be up early on Saturday morning there is alot of random photo gear floating around at the weekly flea-market held at the Naschmarkt.

Nov 18, 2014 at 07:39 AM
Spyro P.
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

I've never been to Vienna, but oh man, Budapest and Prague
just get any camera and start thinking about the food, beer and girls!

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:26 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

I think your lens selection is fine. I used to live in Vienna and visited Budapest a few times and would suggest you spend some time shooting at dusk. The atmosphere with the old buildings is very nice at that time. You might want to add the 35mm 2.8 for that. If you have a spare afternoon, hop over to Bratislava from Vienna. You can take a fast boat from Schwedenplatz in Vienna.

Nov 18, 2014 at 08:48 AM
SoulNibbler
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · prague, vienna & budapest trip lens choice for a7s/r

+1 to bratislava, it's an hour away by bus train or boat from Vienna and they were at one time sister cities. The contrast between the one that got stuck behind the iron curtain is striking.

Also +1 on the two legged eye candy.

Nov 18, 2014 at 09:05 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.