Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

Focus Locus
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

Canon's manual states that their flashes cannot do 2nd curtain sync wirelessly... neither by radio or by infrared.

What is really nice about Canon's 600EX-RTs is the ability to control and adjust power levels of remote flashes, not just fire them. But, one cannot fire them in rear sync mode wirelessly.

So what wireless flash system do you use (any brand or combination of products) to achieve both wireless remote adjustability of power levels, as well as the ability to fire the heads in 2nd curtain mode?

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:38 AM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

I think the Yognuo YN-E3-RT allows 2nd curtain sync in manual mode.
Claude

Nov 17, 2014 at 11:18 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

Thanks Claude... I've read the same elsewhere in researching this since posting as well, so it is nice to hear that echoed.

When people say "manual" mode, do they mean manual power settings, or do they mean manually setting the power?

By the former, "manual power settings", I mean that power can still be changed remotely, just not ETTL automatic.
By the latter, "manually setting the power", I mean that power must be changed manually directly on the flash head.

I don't care about ETTL, but I very much care about being able to remotely change power levels without walking over to each head for each adjustment. So when people say something will work only in "manual" mode, what exactly is this "manual" operation in reference to?

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:14 PM
Skirball

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

I can't speak to the YN-E3-RT, but with the YN 622 you can do second curtain sync so long as you don't use the transceivers to control power level - so, you have to manually set the power on the flashes. I would assume that's what people are referring to, but cannot comment without seeing it in context.

The new YN 560-TX can also control power (manual power setting only, no eTTL), but through physical buttons on the unit, which I find very convenient. However, it doesn't have second curtain sync, so if that's important to you it's a deal breaker.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Claude
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wireless rear sync with remote power level control?

Focus Locus wrote:
Thanks Claude... I've read the same elsewhere in researching this since posting as well, so it is nice to hear that echoed.

When people say "manual" mode, do they mean manual power settings, or do they mean manually setting the power?

By the former, "manual power settings", I mean that power can still be changed remotely, just not ETTL automatic.
By the latter, "manually setting the power", I mean that power must be changed manually directly on the flash head.

I don't care about ETTL, but I very much care about being able to remotely change power levels without walking over to each
...Show more

Sorry, I forgot to recheck the thread.

Manual means here manual power settings of the flash which can be set remotely, the mode of the camera can be whatever you prefer.

I tried the YN-E3-RT with 5D3 and 600EX-RT and 2nd curtain sync worked in manual flash. Beware, I bought the YN-E3-RT to test if it would be interesting to invest in more 600EX-RT units (actually I have pocket wizards). I did not use it in a real shooting yet!

By the way, 2nd curtain sync is also possible with the PocketWizards Flex TT5 and Mini TT1.

Claude

Nov 22, 2014 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.