Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

MRomine
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

I'm looking for some new or at least different ways of handling how we deal with the files that are created form engagement sessions.

If you do engagement sessions are they included or not included with your packages? If included as a freebie does this mean that the couple also gets the digital files from the engagement session? If so when do you deliver them? Shortly after the session? After the wedding along with the wedding day digitals?

If you sell engagement sessions do you have a separate price for the session and then a separate one for the files or is it all inclusive?

Are you interested in selling prints and canvases, guest books, Save-the-dates? If so how are you handing the issue of the client wanting the digital files? IOWs how are you managing client expectations during consults about engagement session digitals?

One of the things that I hate the most is when our clients use our files and do DIY products like guest books and Save-the-Dates and they look absolutely awful, both in design and reproduction, it makes our photos look so unprofessional.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:44 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

Engagements are incluided in all my packges but 1, so they do get the files, but all my files in all packages but 1, are limited to low res files, so if they need to print they need to order the prints form me, unless they're printing very small prints like 6x9.
I always push to the printing, and so far is working very well, people love the 16x24 and 20x 30.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:51 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

Good question.

Engagement sessions don't suit 95% of my couples, which is grand with me! So take this with a pinch of salt.

- I see no point in throwing in free files.
- When, on occasion, I have done such sessions, we've created either simple wall art, extra spreads, or something for the wedding itself. I set these expectations at consult but don't really make many suggestions (which is limits what I can do).
- Keep in mind I usually just spend around 1 hour and make 20-25 images. With the main goal being a wall art or a spread, or a signing board, I am not approaching it as an adventure and creating a whole other album. It's more of a quick and efficient process with me.
- If people are poorly presenting your images introduce this during the consult by making your own suggestion and get them speaking about how they might want to use them. Kill it at the source.

As a side comment: I find it interesting how some people almost expect an engagement session for free because a lot of other photographers (read: almost everyone) offers this included. When asked, 95% of my clients don't actually care about it. I know many would call it a "missed opportunity for money" but when everyone gives it away for free and doesn't sell anything, I enjoy not having to organise extra camera time... As an example, the couple I met earlier didn't even want to do any B&G type portraits on the wedding day, which although less common, just demonstrates how it doesn't necessarily serve everyone properly.

Nikon_14 wrote:
I must confess, though, that I've heard a lot of other people say that E-sessions are a difficult way to make money.

I get the impression this is almost entirely down to (a) photographers putting such little value on it and (b) having no expectations or process involved for after-sales.

Edited on Nov 16, 2014 at 02:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 16, 2014 at 01:32 PM
Nikon_14
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

MRomine wrote
One of the things that I hate the most is when our clients use our files and do DIY products like guest books and Save-the-Dates and they look absolutely awful, both in design and reproduction, it makes our photos look so unprofessional.

---------------------------------------------

sgtbueno wrotepeople love the 16x24 and 20x 30.

...So maybe a good idea is to

1)
Show John and Jane the "affordable" consumer-grade guest book or large print.

2)
Then show John and Jane what a really nice sign-in book or print made by a knowledgeable lab look like.

I must confess, though, that I've heard a lot of other people say that E-sessions are a difficult way to make money.

Nov 16, 2014 at 02:06 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

ricardovaste wrote:
Good question.

Engagement sessions don't suit 95% of my couples, which is grand with me! So take this with a pinch of salt.

In general is this a UK thing? It seems that about 95% of the US couples want them since I have been shooting weddings, 15 years now.

Nov 16, 2014 at 05:57 PM
RKTodd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

An engagement session is included in my top package, sold as a stand alone session, or can be added to smaller packages at a slight discount. I do include the files, and I also try to sell guest books. Most couples do end up with a guest book.

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:30 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

MRomine wrote:
In general is this a UK thing? It seems that about 95% of the US couples want them since I have been shooting weddings, 15 years now.

Not afaik. Everyone in my area offers it. And the vast majority of UK photographers I've ever came across seem to. Because of that I thought 'I had to offer it too'. But business has only improved since taking it off the site.

A lesson learned on the "me too" approach.

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:43 PM
IrishDino
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How Do You Handle Engagement Session Files?

E-sessions are included in any package that's 10 hours or all-day (hourly, 6h, 10h, all-day).

I "give" the images away. Honestly, it's more about meeting the couple before the wedding than anything. It's either an hour e-session or a an hour meeting. I might as well get something out of it (blog post, practice) and give them something in return (save the date photos, profile pic, etc) that gets them talking about me.

Nov 16, 2014 at 08:05 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.