Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2014 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

KaBudokan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

I just picked up an old Mamiya RB67 medium format film camera for a cheap price on Craigslist. It's my first time shooting film in a LONG time, and back when I did shoot film, I never used any flashes. With my DSLR, I do a lot of OCF, and I use the Phottix Odin system.

The RB67 uses a PC-sync to trigger flashes. I checked, and it does trigger my Phottix Mitros+ just fine. My thought was that maybe I could use the PC to "trigger" the Mitros+, but use the Mitros+ as a transmitter only to trigger my Odin receivers. No go - when using the sync cable, it doesn't transmit at all, but just fires.

So - my next thought (which I had figured was probably the best option anyway) is to get a PC to Hot Shoe Cable, and mount my Odin transmitter on that. (Was considering this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109454-REG/Kaiser_201301_PC_to_Hot_Shoe.html )

Anyone try this? I think it should work, but not positive.

Thanks for any guidance.

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:54 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

What flashes? Do they not have optical slave ability? KISS principle?

Paul

Nov 16, 2014 at 06:16 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

Paulthelefty wrote:
What flashes? Do they not have optical slave ability? KISS principle?

Paul

I have a menagerie - 2 phottix mitros, 1 sb-800, 2 yongnuo 560s. Also have a flashpoint rovelight.

So yeah, one option would be to hook one flash up to the pc-sync, then run any others as optical slaves.

I usually shoot manual, but I'm a big fan of having remote power control, so I was looking for a way to use the odin.

Nov 16, 2014 at 07:06 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

Wouldn't that corrupt your "old school film" experience to use modern day remote control flash technology?

Paul

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:54 AM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

Paulthelefty wrote:
Wouldn't that corrupt your "old school film" experience to use modern day remote control flash technology?

Paul

Probably. Funny - I just posted another thread looking for recommendations for a cheap light meter, because I felt like using my digital camera as a light meter would be cheating.

But no, using remote triggers is totally old school.

Nov 25, 2014 at 09:07 AM
keano12
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

Hi so can the Phottix Odin control every aspect of the Rovelight without using their remote?

Feb 12, 2015 at 05:18 PM
KaBudokan
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PC-Sync to Hot Shoe - will this work to trigger Odin transmitter?

keano12 wrote:
Hi so can the Phottix Odin control every aspect of the Rovelight without using their remote?

No, not at all. The Odin can trigger the Rovelight in HSS mode however. WHen mixing speedlights with the Rovelight, I've generally used the Odin to control the speedlights and trigger the rovelight, while using the rovelight remote to change power on the rovelight. (I've also used the rovelight remote and just put the speedlights on optical slave mode.)

And to answer my own original question - the pc-sync to hotshoe does not trigger the Odin at all.

Feb 14, 2015 at 09:35 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.